Would you own a JK/JL instead of a TJ, if money was not an issue?

LJs aren’t real
Birds-Arent-Real-Image-90-Mins.png

The jk's rubbed me the wrong way from day one, took me a few years to figure out why. Ostensibly, the jk is seriously a very sensible car; 4 door, better room for the kids, better mpg, more cargo room, power windows, power door locks.................and there's the problem!

Jeeps weren't meant to be sensible, IMHO they were kinda meant to be the opposite, and that's what gave them their charm. The jk is a fine car, but its not a fine jeep, sorry (not sorry). You can bury me in my Lj.

That pretty much sums up the way I feel too

Reactions: Rick Flair
Glad the question isn't XJ instead of a TJ. :unsure:
I was waiting for this haha. I've owned 3 XJs previous to my TJ. There are things I love about both. I like the TJ slightly more because of it's removable top, doors, manual trans, and coil springs, but the XJ is still more capable as far as carrying stuff. XJs are just impossible to find and clean ones are even more expensive than TJs it seems. I'd love to find a 4.0L Comanche, but then again I probably wouldn't trade my TJ for it, I just need a bigger garage.

As far as JK/JL, no way. They are more fun than other modern cars, but I'll probably buy one when it is no longer possible to find TJs.

The key work being INSTEAD in your title...as everyone else on here I have also owned a Jk.. it was my daily driver.. I loved it.. kept it stock.. road great on highway.. but instead of a Tj.... No!!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I've got a JKU and an LJ... Both have their purposes. My wife DD's the JKU and we use it for our adventure trips which can last from 3 days to 20 days out in the middle of nowhere... The LJ hangs out in the garage until there is a Jeep run to be had. I can afford whatever I want, but I choose not to. I would like to replace the JKU with a JLU though, I want the massively improved trans and cooling for towing. Just don't think I will.

IMG_3916.JPG

Long ways from people... And about 15° outside on a brisk morning.

IMG_3350.JPG

I wouldn't own any JK or a 4 door JL but Ive wheeled with a guy driving a lightly modified 2dr JL and it was a beast. So if money was no object Id heavily modify and thrash a 2dr JL in a heartbeat.

I suspect a huge pre-determined bias to the answers in this thread based on the fact that this is a TJ based forum :) Ask the same question on a JK/JL form and I bet the bias is reversed.

That said, when I bought mine, I could have bought a JK for around the same cost... I chose the LJ, and plan to have it till I can't drive anymore.

Instead of.....No.

My TJ is 20 years old. I've found that I really enjoy restoring and repairing issues that I find on it. It always has some issue that I can research and determine how I want to handle it. Last week it was a CEL for a leak on the evaporative emissions system. This week it is a leak when it rains that is coming from a cracked interior piece on the windshield. I get a since of accomplishment when I determine what the issue is and fix it. I can look at my TJ and there are lots of memories on things I fixed. I don't think I would trade that for a newer vehicle.

If the JL was a 392 on 60/80's and 40" tires. Sure. I'd be pretty silly to pass up a 100k+ rig that my whole family, dog, and a cooler could fit in.

But, I'd since that will never happen I'll keep trying to convince the wife to get a JLUR (non 392) and put 35s on it for a family wheeler.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
I was waiting for this haha. I've owned 3 XJs previous to my TJ. There are things I love about both. I like the TJ slightly more because of it's removable top, doors, manual trans, and coil springs, but the XJ is still more capable as far as carrying stuff. XJs are just impossible to find and clean ones are even more expensive than TJs it seems. I'd love to find a 4.0L Comanche, but then again I probably wouldn't trade my TJ for it, I just need a bigger garage.

As far as JK/JL, no way. They are more fun than other modern cars, but I'll probably buy one when it is no longer possible to find TJs.

I’ve never driven a JK or a JL so I can’t properly compare them to a TJ. I’ve driven a few YJ’s and I owned a CJ5 in the early/mid ‘70s that was only a few years old at the time. Of the bunch I’d take a TJ for sure. I’ve seen lots of JK’s & JL’s up close and for what it’s worth I like them. I like that they have a solid following and that they’ve helped keep Jeep enthusiasm strong. I hope Wranglers of whatever “J” type stay on the showroom floor for a long time.

I’ve owned 3 XJ’s, one bought new in 1990 and 2 MJ’s and I still have one of each. Both are RENIX era and are rust free, mostly stock, solid year round runners. I also have a TJ and an LJ. That’s it, 4 Jeeps and nothing else so everywhere I go is in a Jeep. I use my TJ followed by my LJ the most in the winter. I can drive my 2WD MJ all day long at 70-80 mph and it doesn’t miss a beat. Same with my XJ but it’s a bit heavier. My LJ and XJ are my camping and tow vehicles. Both are great for those purposes.

The first to go would be the TJ followed by the MJ. If it came down to the LJ or XJ I’d probably keep the XJ but that’s just because I’ve had one for so long and can’t see myself without one.

As for other Jeeps, I might get rid of one or a few for a Willys wagon, FSJ Wagoneer or a Commando. Or everything for all of them! :giggle:

Reactions: Alex01 and Byhumba
I spent last week at Moab in a 2021 rubicon on 37's, pretty sweet. My guess is I could have made the trip out there and back in it as well. I'd like to have it. Doesn't answer the question: "instead of" but I'd guess yes

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
No, I like the size and the utilitarian design & functions of the TJ. We also own XJ that's on its last legs, and if we ever replace it, we'd want another XJ before a JK or JL.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCO6
The TJ has more electronics than I wanted but I wanted the coil springs. I actually considered tracking down a CJ7 (the Jeep that made me want a Jeep) and doing a coil spring conversion.
In the end I decided that having something I could drive now instead of another project was the way to go
That’s me, I was a CJ guy years ago, (I had 5) thought I still was, until I realized what relics they were. Don’t get me wrong, I love to see a nice Laredo or Renegade, but they weren’t up to date when they were produced, let alone now.

JK/JL - came close once, like the room and all of the 4 door, but there are several things that hold me back-

1. I’m not familiar with them and not good with electronics in general. I’m too invested in the TJ, heart wise.

2. Not my crowd. Sorry, no offense meant...doesn’t mean I dislike all the people that drive them. I don’t. Just the ones I’ve met. ( joke)

2. Bang for the buck - I could have a 392 for what I have spent on TJs, but ....you can have 2 TJs for what one of those cost ...and I have 2 TJs. It’s twice as fun.

4. Not a fan of the 3.6 V6 for that much weight in the 4 door configuration.

5. Size- off road they are buses. A TJ will amaze you....there is no match for a TJ in maneuverability and agility off road.

If I ever got one, it would be for road trips and luggage, and a bigger engine might tip the scale....and I would still have a TJ. I’m hooked for now.

Reactions: Ron505 and Alex01
I bought my TJ as a toy, I’ve only had it for a few months. Realistically, I could have bought a JK, but one wasn’t even on my radar. If I were cross shopping Jeep models, I would have considered a CJ7, but I really wanted fuel injection so it wasn’t an option unless I found one with the Mopar FI kit.

The TJ is a somewhat modernized version of a classic Jeep, while a JK or JL is a Jeep version of a modern car.

I bought my TJ as a toy, I’ve only had it for a few months. Realistically, I could have bought a JK, but one wasn’t even on my radar. If I were cross shopping Jeep models, I would have considered a CJ7, but I really wanted fuel injection so it wasn’t an option unless I found one with the Mopar FI kit.

The TJ is a somewhat modernized version of a classic Jeep, while a JK or JL is a Jeep version of a modern car.
Good post. Agreed, the TJ is the CJ refined. Well said.

I've been battling with the same decision for weeks now. I've owned several cj's over the years and owned the same one for 24 years. I traded it in 6 years ago and finally bought a TJ a few months ago. Then I picked up a JK a couple of weeks ago. I've literally went back and forth. All the comments are true for me, TJ is a modernized Jeep, JK is Jeeped up car. After a 5 hour ride in the TJ this morning I think the JK is going up for sale next week.

20210501_182019.jpg

Glad the question isn't XJ instead of a TJ. :unsure:
I had this exact choice last year. I was moving and had to downsize. I loved my XJ and figured I could build the hell out of it if I sold my LJ. I actually listed the LJ for a couple of weeks but it didn't sell. Now I'm glad I kept the LJ.

I’ve always had a dislike for the JKs. They have always looked too plastic-y. I think, due in part to the grille switching from metal on the TJ to plastic on the JK and I’ve never liked the huge plastic fender flares of the JK either. Additionally, the power train went from close to amazing with regard to simplicity/reliability to downright trash when they threw a minivan engine in the first gen JKs. I understand that it’s a changing world and emissions standards keep rising, but I wouldn’t take a JK if someone gave me one.

Love my LJ wouldn’t get rid of it for a JK ever. Never worry about getting back to where I started or home. A great reliable and tough platform.