WOW! This might be the deal of the century?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be two unofficial state vehicles in Oregon, sorted by your political leanings. Jeep Wranglers and Subaru Outbacks.

Wranglers are stinkin' everywhere here. Nobody wants to get rid of theirs, unless they are upgrading models or years. Most of them have been molested to some degree and abused in one way or another. Not everyone has the good sense to come to the Wrangler TJ Forum and ask the needed questions, so there are a lot of TJ's out there that drive like crap in Oregon. When an unmolested, rust free TJ shows up on the market it sells fast and at a significant premium over the "average" TJ. A well done modified TJ almost never hits the market, as it's sold to a friend, or a friend of a friend, before any one else gets a crack at it. The popularity of the JK's, and projecting into the future, possibly the JL's, hasn't helped any and is probably not going to help any in the future.

We do love us some Jeeps around here.

Reactions: Chris
You're right on about that. In Oregon it's Jeep Wranglers and Subaru Outbacks.

Toyota Tacomas also seem like they may be a close third.

Reactions: StG58

Can't forget the Taco's! It seems like a lot of Taco's get some very expensive upgrades, especially the newer ones, and never see any real usage off road though.

Classic example. A guy at work has a couple of year old Taco with enough suspension and trim modifications to pay for my TJ twice over. I've been trying to get him to go out with me and do a little exploring on the local back roads. Hasn't taken me up on that offer in two years. He has been agonizing over the perfect amount of lift on his front end (adjustable springs) and the perfect amount of adjustment on his Fox remote reservoir shocks though. ...and the perfect tires. He's now talking about getting a new Taco and doing it all over again.

Can't forget the Taco's! It seems like a lot of Taco's get some very expensive upgrades, especially the newer ones, and never see any real usage off road though.

Classic example. A guy at work has a couple of year old Taco with enough suspension and trim modifications to pay for my TJ twice over. I've been trying to get him to go out with me and do a little exploring on the local back roads. Hasn't taken me up on that offer in two years. He has been agonizing over the perfect amount of lift on his front end (adjustable springs) and the perfect amount of adjustment on his Fox remote reservoir shocks though. ...and the perfect tires. He's now talking about getting a new Taco and doing it all over again.

Yeah, I don't get that personally. Seems like a waste of money to do all that stuff for just show.

I have always wanted a 2000-2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD with the extra cab. Seems like it would be a great truck to have as far as trucks go. I know that those things are pretty much indestructible.

Bleed over from Oregon maybe, but same here in NorCal. Prius holds a close 3rd place. I effing hate Prius drivers(apologies for those of you that own one, but really! You don't own the frickin road man!)

Bleed over from Oregon maybe, but same here in NorCal. Prius holds a close 3rd place. I effing hate Prius drivers(apologies for those of you that own one, but really! You don't own the frickin road man!)

I don't blame you. Years ago we owned one as our third vehicle just for something economical in town. We ended up selling it because I felt like such a douche driving it, and I just hated the way it drove.

I too hate Prius drivers, there's just something about that car that disgusts me, haha!

I'm in California and I own both. My jeep TJ for fun and my Subaru Forester as my daily driver. The Subaru makes daily living easier (3 kids under the age of 8) plus it's better on gas. Although pretty much any other vehicle is better than my tj on gas.

Last edited:
I'm in California and I own both. My jeep TJ for fun and my Subaru Forester as my daily driver. The Subaru makes daily living easier (3 kids under the age of 8) plus it's better on gas. And my Subaaru is better on gas. Although pretty much any other vehicle is better than my tj on gas.

Don't get me wrong, I love Subarus. We owned an Outback for quite a long time, and I still miss that car. It's a great "all around vehicle". It's off-road ability (and performance in the snow) would surprise most people!

Oh man, I'm biting my tongue over self righteous Prius drivers and Subaru's being good off road and in the snow. It's way off topic and I don't really want to offend anyone.

I had a Subaru Outback, you can't offend me. That thing performed exceptionally well in packed snow.

When I say it performed well off-road, I don't mean the stuff we do with our Jeeps. I meant that it performed better off-road than people would think. You could take it on unpaved roads and it had enough ground clearance from the factory, that paired with the AWD, it is one of those vehicles that would get you where you needed to go.

Great vehicles for people who like hiking, camping, etc. I'm not saying it comes close to what a lifted Jeep would do, but for an everyday vehicle, it's great.

Not to mention I am always impressed with Subaru's reliability and quality. I think they make a fine automobile, that's for sure.

Would I trade my Jeep for one, no way. Would I own one along with the Jeep? Hell yeah!

Reactions: UpperMI
WRX STI please!

Ugh... I like those things so much. I could just never bring myself to drive one because of the "boy racer" stigma that goes along with it.

You know what I'm talking about too... The douche bag in the blue STI with the gold wheels. I see it all the time.

It's a shame though, because they really are cool cars.

Ugh... I like those things so much. I could just never bring myself to drive one because of the "boy racer" stigma that goes along with it.

You know what I'm talking about too... The douche bag in the blue STI with the gold wheels. I see it all the time.

It's a shame though, because they really are cool cars.

Yep, know exactly what you're saying. Still, a very well engineered vehicle that is stupid fast!

Yep, know exactly what you're saying. Still, a very well engineered vehicle that is stupid fast!

I know, I had the opportunity to drive one for an entire day, and it really is a fun car.

When I was 20 that would have been perfect. At 34, I just don't want people looking at my car assuming I'm some young punk.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Speaking of Subaru's, here's a pic of my first car, a 1979 Subaru. Mine was light brown. It looks like crap, literally, but it did have tinted windows, and I did rear-end the homecoming queen in it (going really slow), which led to getting to talk to the finest thing that walked through our school!

1979_Subaru_DL_eBay_0_resize.jpg

Reactions: UpperMI and Chris
Speaking of Subaru's, here's a pic of my first car, a 1979 Subaru. Mine was light brown. It looks like crap, literally, but it did have tinted windows, and I did rear-end the homecoming queen in it (going really slow), which led to getting to talk to the finest thing that walked through our school!

View attachment 14238

Ha, that's awesome! I love seeing classic Japanese cars.

Absolutely nothing beats a classic Nissan Skyline GTR though!

2000-gtr-552ad9f582215-5543f2e00c5ac.jpg

Reactions: bobthetj03
That's have some vehicles in Japan that are amazing! I was there, off and on, in the 70's and loved to see the cars running around. It was Suzuki, I think, that had a Wankle powered motorcycle that was just stupid quick. And the Fairladies were pretty cool too.

It's not that the Prius or any one of the Subaru's are inherently bad cars, it's the drivers of a portion of them that make me crazy.

Reactions: Chris
Status
Not open for further replies.