Wrangler EV will go 0-60 in 6 seconds

Jeeps are one of the last vehicles I want to accelerate quickly. I would go with an EV, only if there's an internal combustion engine on-board to either power the vehicle or at least recharge the batteries, because I can take fuel with me, but not the grid and charging station.

EVs are just a commuter vehicle so far as I've seen. I think BMW has a model that has a motorcycle engine on-board to recharge the batteries and give additional range. Hybrids are a bit more complicated and I wouldn't want one of those on a Jeep I don't think.

Reactions: Tob and Chris
I'm more interested in who would even want one of these. I guess a lot of people just want a convertible SUV riding around town.

Btw, it may not ever be in the 2 door, because often the volume of the batteries required are so large that everyplace you can stick a cell the better. I just know the volume for batteries is massive compare to that of something like gasoline.

Reactions: Tob
I'm more interested in who would even want one of these. I guess a lot of people just want a convertible SUV riding around town.

Btw, it may not ever be in the 2 door, because often the volume of the batteries required are so large that everyplace you can stick a cell the better. I just know the volume for batteries is massive compare to that of something like gasoline.
Many people use Jeeps as cars.

We use our car for long trips that don't require off-roading or heavy loads, because the mileage is a bit better than my Jeep or truck. EVs can't go on long trips yet. I guess you gotta have people buy the project EVs so they can finally get models that are useful and priced properly.

It will be cool to see a few of these towed out to some trails to run them, I bet they'll be pretty good off-road.

Reactions: Apparition

The Wrangler JL received Motortrends "SUV of the year" award.

Do some searching and you'll see people who are normally shopping for Honda Pilots, CR-Vs, Toyota Highlanders, and other SUVs are cross shopping them with the JLU.

That speaks volumes as to who the target audience for the Wrangler JLU is these days. It's not people like you and me anymore (and hasn't been since they went mainstream with the 4-door). The audience is now people who are looking for a "cool SUV", and the Wrangler fits the bill.

So when mom and dad are out looking for an SUV, and they spot an electric Jeep Wrangler, they can save on gas and look cool while doing it (in their minds at least).

The average Wrangler buyer nowadays is not even remotely close to the average Wrangler buyer of the 90s.

No limit to what you can do with electric torque. Gas engines have pretty skinny parameters needing massive changes to increase power vs economy. With electric motors, just twist a dial.

In '07 the JKU tripled Wrangler sales and it wasn't because the off roading audience tripled.

Reactions: Tob and Apparition
No limit to what you can do with electric torque. Gas engines have pretty skinny parameters needing massive changes to increase power vs economy. With electric motors, just twist a dial.
There is a limit and sometimes it’s obvious when the fire extinguisher comes out. But there is a lot of potential before that happens.

Well I agree that gas engines have pretty skinny parameters. I really think gas is a bad fit for anything that's 4x4 with only a few specific circumstances. But I've noticed when I'm off-road there's no charging stations. Must be me. I also don't see them for hundreds of miles between points and I know the time it takes to charge batteries. So I don't think the EVs are ready either, but the EV motors are awesome, I completely agree and once logistics catch up, they're going to be useful.

But without logistics, they aren't very useful.

Reactions: Apparition
Well I agree that gas engines have pretty skinny parameters. I really think gas is a bad fit for anything that's 4x4 with only a few specific circumstances. But I've noticed when I'm off-road there's no charging stations. Must be me. I also don't see them for hundreds of miles between points and I know the time it takes to charge batteries. So I don't think the EVs are ready either, but the EV motors are awesome, I completely agree and once logistics catch up, they're going to be useful.

But without logistics, they aren't very useful.
I’m curious to see if our grid can catch up to EV. Imagine how much energy it would take to power all of our cars.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
The Wrangler JL received Motortrends "SUV of the year" award.

Do some searching and you'll see people who are normally shopping for Honda Pilots, CR-Vs, Toyota Highlanders, and other SUVs are cross shopping them with the JLU.

That speaks volumes as to who the target audience for the Wrangler JLU is these days. It's not people like you and me anymore (and hasn't been since they went mainstream with the 4-door). The audience is now people who are looking for a "cool SUV", and the Wrangler fits the bill.

So when mom and dad are out looking for an SUV, and they spot an electric Jeep Wrangler, they can save on gas and look cool while doing it (in their minds at least).

The average Wrangler buyer nowadays is not even remotely close to the average Wrangler buyer of the 90s.

You know it's funny, I had been noticing that I rarely see SUVs when going to work and leaving work. All I would see are cars, trucks, and actually several pre JK Jeep Wranglers and CJs. But one day I burned up some vacation and instead of being on the road around 6am and hit the 8am to noon, it was SUVs everywhere. It was almost the complete opposite. It's like a different world between a lot of the tradesmen, mechanics, etc and everyone else.

You know it's funny, I had been noticing that I rarely see SUVs when going to work and leaving work. All I would see are cars, trucks, and actually several pre JK Jeep Wranglers and CJs. But one day I burned up some vacation and instead of being on the road around 6am and hit the 8am to noon, it was SUVs everywhere. It was almost the complete opposite. It's like a different world between a lot of the tradesmen, mechanics, etc and everyone else.

Yep.

When I drive around on any given day now, I see more JKUs and JLUs than I could have ever imagined. If you look at the people driving them, they're just average, ordinary people. They have no intention of ever doing a single thing to them. In fact, I suspect many of them don't even know the top or doors come off.

They just got to thinking that it's a cool SUV, and decided to buy one. Definitely good for business for Jeep.

And I guess the upside is that with so many of them made, you'll probably never have issues finding parts down the road.

Somewhere I saw that the energy in a gallon of gasoline is enough to run an average home for a week.

The sq ft needed for solar really isn't an option, unless there's something drastic that changes. Wind is kind of similar in that regard as well. Most people don't like dams. Most don't like coal and fracking. And most don't like Nuclear, so you're gonna have to solve some inherent issues and people are going to have to get very comfortable with Nuclear, coal and/or fracking. In my area, I'm guessing coal and nat gas will see a comeback when the EV infrastructure materializes.