Wrangler TJ Fluid Capacities & Fluid Recommendations

I am about to change my diff fluids. I read on a different jeep forum that synthetic gear oil is not recommended as much as petrol based gear oil. It stated that the heat transfer in synthetic is too weak and the diff will be burned. I also noted that for my diff (Dana 30 & 35) don’t list synthetic gear oil at the top of this thread. So, synthetic or no?

Last edited:
Is there a way to read the VIN to tell what trans, diffs, and case I have?

2000 Sahara 4.0 5spd
it would be easier, faster & more accurate to look at those items on your rig to determine what they are because unless you've owned it since new there's no guarantee the parts you have were the ones it left the factory with...

@Chris thank you for this info! Made it easy to get my shopping list together as I look to change all the fluids in my new to me TJ. Sound like the OEM coolant is the same as the Zerex or am I misreading?

Reactions: Chris
@Chris thank you for this info! Made it easy to get my shopping list together as I look to change all the fluids in my new to me TJ. Sound like the OEM coolant is the same as the Zerex or am I misreading?
Yep, Zerex works fine 👍

Here's a list of the different fluid capacities for various Wrangler TJ models.

Engine
2.5L 4 cyl - 4 quarts
2.4L 4 cyl - 5 quarts
4.0L 6 cyl - 6 quarts

Transmission
30RH 3 speed auto
ATF+4 is replacement). See post #2 below for fluid amount. Make sure to use ATF+4, not just ATF!

32RH 3 speed auto
Approximately 4 quarts ATF+4 is replacement) when drained via dropping the pan / Approximately 8 quarts dry fill. See post #2 below for FSM procedure. Make sure to use ATF+4, not just ATF!

42RLE 4 speed auto
Approximately 4 quarts ATF+4 when drained via dropping the pan / Approximately 8.8 quarts dry fill. Make sure to use ATF+4, not just ATF!

AX-5 5 speed manual
3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals). I highly recommend Redline MT-90.

AX-15 5 speed manual
3.32 quarts 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals). I highly recommend Redline MT-90.

NV3550 5 speed manual
2.1 quarts. I highly recommend Redline MTL.

NV1500 5 speed manual
2.4 quarts. I highly recommend Redline MTL.

NSG370 6 speed manual
1.58 quarts. I highly recommend Redline MTL.

Transfer Case
1.1 quarts ATF+3 or ATF+4

2.1 quarts ATF+4

NOTE: The 231 and 241 transfer cases are fine with any type of good quality ATF. Mercon, Dexron, ATF+4, etc. are all fine. Only the automatic transmission is fussy about the type of ATF it gets.

Axles
Dana 30 - 1.25 quarts 75W-140
Dana 35 - 1.75 quarts 75W-140 *
Dana 44 - 2 quarts 75W-140 *
Rubicon Dana 44 (FRONT) - 1.375 quarts 75W-140 synthetic
Rubicon Dana 44 (REAR) - 2 quarts 75W-140 synthetic **

* 4 oz of friction modifier is required with Trac-Lok limited slip differential.
** Friction modifier is NOT required with Tru-Lok locker/limited slip differential (factory Rubicon locker).

Cooling System
The Jeep Wrangler TJ came with a HOAT coolant from the factory. I always recommend running OE Mopar coolant or Zerex G-05, which are both HOAT coolants.

2.5L - 9 quarts
2.4L - 10.1 quarts
4.0L - 10.5 quarts
This post is the gift that keeps on giving. Just bought a 2006 Rubi and it's due for everything. This helped more than you know! Thank you!

Curious my 2002 FSM shows 2.41qts in the NV3550. Is there a difference in years?

Engine
2.5L 4 cyl - 4 quarts
2.4L 4 cyl - 5 quarts
4.0L 6 cyl - 6 quarts

Transmission
30RH 3 speed auto
ATF+4 is replacement). See post #2 below for fluid amount. Make sure to use ATF+4, not just ATF!

32RH 3 speed auto
Approximately 4 quarts ATF+4 is replacement) when drained via dropping the pan / Approximately 8 quarts dry fill. See post #2 below for FSM procedure. Make sure to use ATF+4, not just ATF!

42RLE 4 speed auto
Approximately 4 quarts ATF+4 when drained via dropping the pan / Approximately 8.8 quarts dry fill. Make sure to use ATF+4, not just ATF!

AX-5 5 speed manual
3.3 quarts 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals). I highly recommend Redline MT-90.

AX-15 5 speed manual
3.32 quarts 75W-90 GL4, or 10W30 (NOT GL5 or GL5 compatible as incorrectly stated in some of the manuals). I highly recommend Redline MT-90.

NV3550 5 speed manual

NV1500 5 speed manual

NSG370 6 speed manual

Transfer Case

2.1 quarts ATF+4

NOTE: The 231 and 241 transfer cases are fine with any type of good quality ATF. Mercon, Dexron, ATF+4, etc. are all fine. Only the automatic transmission is fussy about the type of ATF it gets.

Axles

* 4 oz of friction modifier is required with Trac-Lok limited slip differential.
** Friction modifier is NOT required with Tru-Lok locker/limited slip differential (factory Rubicon locker).

Cooling System
The Jeep Wrangler TJ came with a HOAT coolant from the factory. I always recommend running OE Mopar coolant or Zerex G-05, which are both HOAT coolants.

2.5L - 9 quarts
2.4L - 10.1 quarts
4.0L - 10.5 quarts
i love you

This is a fantastic thread, thanks for this. I'll be doing my post-acquisition fluid changes soon and this was a big help.

I'm a HUGE fan of Red Line gear and transmission oils; I've used them for many years in my race cars. That said, I wanted to point out a couple options that aren't on this list.

Redline makes a 75W140NS gear oil if you're looking for a GL-5 spec without the slip additives (Rubicons). They also have a C+ATF which is a replacement for the Mopar Type 9602 (ATF+4) in the transfer case.

Engine
2.5L 4 cyl - 4 quarts
2.4L 4 cyl - 5 quarts
4.0L 6 cyl - 6 quarts

Transmission
30RH 3 speed auto

32RH 3 speed auto

42RLE 4 speed auto

AX-5 5 speed manual

AX-15 5 speed manual

NV3550 5 speed manual

NV1500 5 speed manual

NSG370 6 speed manual

Transfer Case

2.1 quarts ATF+4

Axles

Cooling System

2.5L - 9 quarts
2.4L - 10.1 quarts
4.0L - 10.5 quarts
Hi Chris,
I noticed that when I take my 4.0L for oil & filter change it gets overfilled despite the fact that I provide to the technician only 6 quarts of 10W-30. Last time I asked to check the level and they use 5 quarts and a little bit of the 6th bottle and it was already above the full line. Any thoughts?

Hi Chris,
I noticed that when I take my 4.0L for oil & filter change it gets overfilled despite the fact that I provide to the technician only 6 quarts of 10W-30. Last time I asked to check the level and they use 5 quarts and a little bit of the 6th bottle and it was already above the full line. Any thoughts?
I'm not chris, but I'd say either they aren't replacing the filter or they aren't draining it completely. I just did mine and it took 6qts almost on the nose. Maybe they're not bringing the engine up to temp before draining it.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks but I purchase new filter every time and I drive it to the shop so I would think engine temperature should not be the issue. I am starting t think the stick that measure the oil level is not accurate.

If they change the oil and put in six quarts along with a new filter that is full on the dipstick, forget what the lines are, you now know what full is. That's unless your oil pan has a huge dent or mechanics that aren't doing something right. The oil that is left in the engine doesn't amount to much and is part of the factory spec. Adding oil until it just reaches the top of the dipstick isn't something you should really ever do when you change the oil, you should just add the specified oil. The dipstick is for checking later on when you are at the gas station in my opinion and that's the only reason to check after a change, so you know what full looks like.

I have Mopar ATF+4 in my 42RLE. Is it cool to top it off with Valvoline or O'Reilly ATF+4? I think I should be good to go but want to hear from the pros.

Just to be sure - I'll need ATF +4 for 1999 TJ Automatic? I just returned the other ATF I was planning to use.

Just to be sure - I'll need ATF +4 for 1999 TJ Automatic? I just returned the other ATF I was planning to use.

Yes, for your 32rh you’ll need ATF+4.

Reactions: H_E_H