Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Reactions: rasband
Here is the video on YouTube. The problem is (or might be) that our ethanol blended gas may just cause this to happen again (eventually). Not sure. But it does look like a very easy fix. Wish you could get to it without dropping the tank.

Thanks to this thread and this forum... I sent the link for this video to the shop that was doing some work on my LJ. While they had the tank down they did this fix, low and behold... no more gas overflow :)

Added the GM hose this afternoon and then went and filled it up with gas... no more overflow issues. Awesome

View attachment 98449Thanks Chris and everyone else for all the information
How difficult was this for you to install? Just watched a YouTube Video and it looked pretty complicated, especially the proper way to cut the hose above the valve and then lining up valve properly and avoiding a kink in hose.

How difficult was this for you to install? Just watched a YouTube Video and it looked pretty complicated, especially the proper way to cut the hose above the valve and then lining up valve properly and avoiding a kink in hose.
It isn't complicated, at all. What you should do is pull the tank and actually take care of the problem instead of the hose "band aid." That way, no more splash back, no more slow fill, no worry in a roll over of fuel leaking and potentially causing a fire.

It isn't complicated, at all. What you should do is pull the tank and actually take care of the problem instead of the hose "band aid." That way, no more splash back, no more slow fill, no worry in a roll over of fuel leaking and potentially causing a fire.

I did this last weekend, it’s not a difficult job and is much safer

So you guys know what size the torx screws are that hold the filler to the body from the outside?

this size:

torxset.jpg

I have the burping thing with my '06 and used the old eyeball fix. I eyeball the gas gauge before I get out to fill up. If it says I have a quarter tank left, knowing I have a 19 gallon tank tells me I need about 14 gallons to fill. I leave the hose on automatic until it reaches 13.5 gallons then slow it down until it clicks. Works every time. Adds about 8 seconds per fill, maybe 4 minutes per year, which I can live with.

Reactions: Aloha Joe
I have the burping thing with my '06 and used the old eyeball fix. I eyeball the gas gauge before I get out to fill up. If it says I have a quarter tank left, knowing I have a 19 gallon tank tells me I need about 14 gallons to fill. I leave the hose on automatic until it reaches 13.5 gallons then slow it down until it clicks. Works every time. Adds about 8 seconds per fill, maybe 4 minutes per year, which I can live with.
If that were the norm, no one would be bitching.

Normal dysfunctional fill typically presents as very slow trickle in, or large amounts of spit back. Very few with the faulty valve are able to do much of a work around with any level of shenanigans.

Ah. Did not know that. Mine just spits out a little at the click-off

Ah. Did not know that. Mine just spits out a little at the click-off
Before I fixed mine... The right way.... You could pump as slow as possible and it would still spit gas. Choosing between trying to guess at when to stop pumping just before full or cleaning gas off the side of my Jeep every time I filled up weren't choices I would choose to live with, not when there is a well documented fix.

Reactions: rasband and L J
My only issue filling up is only being about to get 15 gallons in my tank when it's completely empty. It's been like this since my last trip to big bear and my gas tank/skid took a BIG dent to the passenger side on the rocks. If I park with my drivers tire up in the curb as I fill it I can squeeze another gallon into it. New gas tank skid a coming after the body lift. Hopefully the plastic tank with go back to shape lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here with my '06. Years ago, I drove 15 miles after the gas light came on, but even then, I don't recall ever getting more than 16 gallons into the Jeep, ever. Typically, it's right there before the 15 gallon mark.
As for the overspill, I've just been allotting for an extra 10 minutes at the pump to trickle in the last gallon.😭😆
But, there always seems to be those random times that throw you a surprise and have you coming home with the sweet aroma of gas on your shoes.

Hey guys thanks for the ideas on this thread. I had to drop the tank for a bumper swap and did the GM part "band aid" fix while I had everything down. I didn't want to reach into the tank and pull parts out. I went to gas station and "let her rip" until click-of with no splash back. Great little mod in my opinion.

I would suggest maybe modifying the original post to note marking the GM clamp/hose orientation before discussing cutting off the ends. Just a suggestion.

Reactions: Chris