Wrangler TJ Gas Overflow Fix

Thank you Chris for the advise on fixing the 2005 - 2006 TJ / LJ fuel overflow problem with the new fuel hose!! I have a 2005 TJ and this worked GREAT!!! I just filled up this morning and the nozzle shut off automatically when tank filled up. It's amazing how much you learn from others by searching online. Thanks again!!

Thank you Chris for the advise on fixing the 2005 - 2006 TJ / LJ fuel overflow problem with the new fuel hose!! I have a 2005 TJ and this worked GREAT!!! I just filled up this morning and the nozzle shut off automatically when tank filled up. It's amazing how much you learn from others by searching online. Thanks again!!

Glad it worked out for you! There is definitely a lot to be learned online, that's for sure.

Has anyone tried to dislodge a sticking valve by running something down the filler hose such as coat hanger wire or something like this:

plumbing-snakes-augers-bc00400-64_1000.jpg

Any success?

I need to drop my tank to fix it right, but for now I would be great to have a temporary workaround until I can schedule the time and get some extra help with lowering the tank. Currently I just avoid going to the gas station when I'm in a hurry and just stand there with the pump running slowly since it clicks off every time I try to use one of the nozzle detents.

I'm also wondering if "cheap gas" exacerbate the problem. I frequently use ARCO, but think I'll run a tank or two of Chevron through the system and see if I notice any differences.

Brand of gas won't make a difference. All gas has to meet certain requirements to even be sold in the first place. The cheap gas thing is nothing more than a myth if you ask me.

Also, you can drop the tank by yourself. I dropped mine and re-installed it by myself. I just used a jack and a 2x4 to distribute the weight more evenly. Went pretty smooth too!

Reactions: Daryl
There is nothing to dislodge. The float will either stick in the up or down position. Down, it spits back. Up, it takes forever to fill up. Or it can stick somewhere between and do both like mine.

This was a great write-up; it fixed my gas burping issue initially. It worked great for a year, but it's started to intermittently spill again. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to remedy it?

This was a great write-up; it fixed my gas burping issue initially. It worked great for a year, but it's started to intermittently spill again. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to remedy it?
Which fix did you use; the GM hose? The tank inlet float? Both?

Reactions: Sierra96
The hose worked for me for only a few fill ups. Dropped the tank and filed down the plunger for a permanent fix.

Reactions: CabbageVendor
I did the install and it solved the burping problem. After a few days the check engine light came on and these are the codes. P0457 p0456 po455. Did anyone else have this problem? What was your solution? The gas cap is brand new.

I came up with a cheap and easy fix for the 2005 - 2006 TJ / LJ fuel overflow problem. To clarify, I'm referring to the issue of gas "burping" out of the filler neck right after the pump clicks off when the tank is full. The cause is the ethanol in the gas causing plastic parts in the Inlet Check Valve (ICV) to bind and not close quickly enough to prevent fuel back-splash when full.

Owners of 2005 - 2006 TJ / LJ Wranglers were left up shit creek by Chrysler and the NHTSA on this one. '07 and newer got a warranty extension - NHTSA closed the investigation taking the heat off Chrysler - '05-'06 owners got the shaft. There's almost no point I filing a complaint with NHTSA any more because our complaints were already dismissed as "Internet hype".

You can either jump through Chrysler's flaming hoops and beg for some "goodwill" assistance with a $1200 dealer repair (parts & labor to replace the whole tank) which means you still shell out a $200 "co-pay", or you can order a <$30 GM hose with a flapper style check valve and be done with it. This is how GM fixed the exact same problem in the Trailblazers, Envoys, Bravadas, etc.

Amazon has the replacement part for around $30 here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUCRISO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 376

View attachment 377

The bulge in the middle is a little flapper valve:

View attachment 378

Here's our lower hose that connects the filler tube to the tank:

View attachment 379

Here's a how to guide:
The inside diameters are identical. Cut 1 1/4"off the small end and 1 3/4" off the big end. I started out only cutting about 3/4" from the small end to make it the same length as our hose, but it can't make the bend without kinking. I cut some more off and it made for less of a bend and no kink. If you have a body lift, you'll probably need to cut less off. Start small, you can always cut more but once you cut it too short you're on your own...:

View attachment 380

View attachment 381

Swap your old clamps onto the GM part:

View attachment 382

The lower clamp has a little clip on it that you put at the top of the hose so you can feel that it's oriented right when you put in on the tank. The round notch on the GM hoseis there to align it with its intended tank, use it as a reference for installing the Jeep clamp. This is very important when it comes to re-installing the new hose. You'll have to feel for this clip because you won't be able to see it clearly:

View attachment 383

That's it!

Reinstall and you're done. I had to remove the 4 torx screws attaching the filler neck to the body to get the new hose on it. I didn't have to disconnect any other lines or take it completely out, but just needed to move the neck around to get the new hose on.

Removal and istallation on a TJ is extremely simple.

Access through lower wheel well cover:

View attachment 384

View attachment 385

Loosen the 2 hose clampsand remove the original rubber hose. (1/4" screw clamp upper & 5/16" screw clamp lower) I found it easier to remove the stock hose with the upper filler neck still attached to the body so I could pull down on it.

Cut GM hoseand swap Jeep clamps over (see previous posts).

Remove the 4 torxscrews attaching upper filler pipe to body. You don't have to remove the pipe completely. I didn't even disconnect the tank vent, axle vent, and locker pump lines. You'll only need to move and twist it around a bit to get the new hose on:

View attachment 386

View attachment 387

Install modified GM hose, tighten all fasteners, replace trim pieces as necessary - you're done!!!

Note: Make sure the hose is oriented correctly. If the flapper sits crooked or upside down it won't work right. The round notch on the big end of the GM hose before cutting it is for orienting it to its intended tank. You'll have to feel for the little clip on the Jeep hose clamp and make sure it sits at 12 o'clock on the tank inlet.

Here's the installed hose:

View attachment 388

Work like how the doctor prescribed thank you! Also allowed me to look at where salt can deposit and a few other things!

The GM hose isn't a fix, it is a band-aid. The only fix is to put the tank back to original function by making the roll over valve work correctly again.
And how does one do that? What needs to be done to the roll over valve to make it function correctly?
TIA

I have had similar things happen such as the burping gas at point of being brought to full, but another thing I have going on is where after filled the motor will die shortly after leaving gas station. start it up again and usually is fine until next fill up. Is this also related to hose or inlet valve sticking problem?

I have had similar things happen such as the burping gas at point of being brought to full, but another thing I have going on is where after filled the motor will die shortly after leaving gas station. start it up again and usually is fine until next fill up. Is this also related to hose or inlet valve sticking problem?
Any codes? Bad gas cap or weak fuel pump perhaps, but don’t think it is caused by the same issue being discussed here.

Reactions: Sierra96
I had the slow filling for 3 years since I got my jeep. I went thru all the post I could find here. I went to a shop for help. Showed them the U tube & got the GM hose. 1st: Replaced the Hose. 2nd: mod the rollover valve. 3rd: Looked at a new tank (same as I have, sent it back). 4th: found the canaster valve was plugged! Removed and cleaned it out and the lines to the can. Now I can fill the tank at full pump speed!

Reactions: bcon2010