Wrangler TJ No More. Advice Needed

SidewalkDancer

Hi all...newbie looking for some info. My Jeep Wrangler TJ which I have had for fourteen years and 207,000 miles has died. I’m afraid on my way to work a couple of weeks ago the engine seized (yes it did have oil) and it now sits in my driveway having had it towed.

So my question for any one here that might know is; is it worth anything as is? The tow truck driver who also has a Jeep Wrangler seemed to think that if I advertised it, even not running, I wouldn’t have a problem getting offers on it. IF true, any idea what it might be worth in its current condition. Does have a bit of rust but the frame is good and also has 16” Rubicon rims.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Sorry to hear about your jeep. Add some photo's and we could better help you.

Are you looking to part it out or do you want to sell it whole? Is it a rubicon or just has rubi wheels?

In the bay area, a hardtop is worth around 1.5k and full doors go for around $800.

Sad situation.. I am not looking forward to that dreaded day...but parting it out if you have the time and patience would be your best option

I doubt it would hurt to try and sell as-is if you're not in a hurry. There may be some craigslist postings for Jeeps in similar condition if you dig around the web for a while. Otherwise, parting it out is always an option.

If your frame is in good condition, it will make a big difference for what your opportunities are. Seeing as how you're in NJ, I'm guessing you have at least some rust on it, which could make it harder for you to manage than, say, someone down south with a rust-free rig.

Thanks all and I don’t have the patience to break it into parts. The frame surprisingly is in very good shape. Any rust is on the front wings, around the front windshield and also around the spare wheel. Yep, I’ll stick it on Craig’s list or eBay and see what happens.

Why not look into an engine swap
I agree, you can find some decent 4.0 engines in any junkyard.

I'm really interested in knowing what exactly was the cause of your engine failure tho.

What oil did you use?
Cold air intake?
Head gasket leak?

Has to be more to it than just bad luck. These engines regularly make past 250k even with shit tier maintenance.

The 14 year bond that you built with your TJ, engine swap is the way to go.
He gave you all he's got, now you don't have patience and just get rid of him cheap just like that.

If the rust hasn't got it, the engine is a very replaceable item. My engine was fine, I replaced it because
I found one with very few miles on it that was from a mall crawler. Couldn't resist. Go for it. Inspect your frame carefully.

Why not look into an engine swap
I have looked into putting in a reverb engine from Quadratic. Two and a half K for engine but I’m no mechanic and I’ve been told a mechanic might charge upward of four to five K to take the old one out and put a new one in.

I've seen replacement engines for as little as $700 online. If my engine went, I'd surely replace it...but then again I have the equipment to do it myself which I realize not everyone does.

I have looked into putting in a reverb engine from Quadratic. Two and a half K for engine but I’m no mechanic and I’ve been told a mechanic might charge upward of four to five K to take the old one out and put a new one in.

1. you can get an engine for less than $2500
2. a TJ engine R&R has to be one of the easiest swaps for a mechanic. There's no way it should cost that much. That's a week's worth of labor. Even at $100/hour it should be less than $1000.
3. post some pics of the Jeep so we can help you determine if it's worth the investment

Reactions: Alex01
What is the reason you want to unload it? There is obviously a reason. Otherwise you would be looking for ways to keep it going. I'm fairly sure that you will get more for a running TJ than the cost of a rebuild. So for the best value either way replacing the engine is a good idea. And while it's in the shop you could get some of the rust dealt with too. That will up the value even more, regardless of whether you sell it or keep it.