Wrangler TJ overheating help

SBarber1

TJ Enthusiast
My tj started over heating at the beginning of this summer. It only overheats when stopped or going very slow. If I speed up it cools back down. Runing the heater also helps keep it from over heating. The radiater was replaced in Jan and it is still clean. It is not leaking and the fluid is full. It did not sound like the fan was kicking on and running on high like I remember it doing when stopped or running slow like it did in the past so I replaced the fan clutch but no change. I plan on changing the thermostat today any other sugestions? Thanks

That it only overheats at very slow speeds or when stopped immediately makes me think the fan clutch has gone bad. The engine gets adequate air while driving at speed from normal air flow. When stopped or driving slowly it depends solely on the fan spinning fast enough which requires the fan spin hard and fast via its fan clutch. They do go bad.

Replaced it and brout it up to temp. Drove about 7 miles and just sitting idling for about 5 minutes now with no issues. Its showing temp at a little over 210 but has always done that. True test will be trying it tommorow in this Florida heat but so far so good.

What did you replace, the stat or the clutch?

When you say it's overheating, exactly what is the temp gauge in the cluster getting up to? And many aftermarket radiators don't cool all that well, few cool as well as the well-designed Mopar radiator does.

And agreed with CodaMan, it really sounds exactly like a bad fan clutch. I'm surprised the new fan clutch didn't fix it.

And you will swear the fan shroud is still in place and fully intact????!!!???

Guys I had an issue with Jeep overheating several weeks ago and went on Chris' faq and started ordering parts to update the cooling system. I tried driving it after this happened to see if maybe the thermostat was stuck or something and it worked fine. So I know that I have been procrastinating getting the cooling system overhauled and flirting with it overheating again and all that goes with that. Well I ran it a number of times with no issue but today I was picking it up from the local shop that did some gear work for me and it overheated right as I pulled into my office.

What I noticed was the fan wasn't running at all which tells me it is bad and likely a big contributor to the issue I am sure.

So the question is when the engine is running and warm (i.e. after it cooled down from overheating but still warm) it appears the fan doesn't run at all. I tried turining it by hand and I could turn it but not easily. It felt very restricted and rough to turn although it will turn. Any thoughts on it? Clutch? other?

I just need to get home but don't want to do any damage doing that. It is about 10 minutes home mostly highways. Should I run the heater and go for it or leave it until it cools way down tonight and come get it?

I tried to attach a video of of it running but fan not turning. The engine was quite warm and it was quite hot outside.

Attachments

• jeep fan.MOV
    8.8 MB · Views: 492
Guys I had an issue with Jeep overheating several weeks ago and went on Chris' faq and started ordering parts to update the cooling system. I tried driving it after this happened to see if maybe the thermostat was stuck or something and it worked fine. So I know that I have been procrastinating getting the cooling system overhauled and flirting with it overheating again and all that goes with that. Well I ran it a number of times with no issue but today I was picking it up from the local shop that did some gear work for me and it overheated right as I pulled into my office.

What I noticed was the fan wasn't running at all which tells me it is bad and likely a big contributor to the issue I am sure.

So the question is when the engine is running and warm (i.e. after it cooled down from overheating but still warm) it appears the fan doesn't run at all. I tried turining it by hand and I could turn it but not easily. It felt very restricted and rough to turn although it will turn. Any thoughts on it? Clutch? other?

I just need to get home but don't want to do any damage doing that. It is about 10 minutes home mostly highways. Should I run the heater and go for it or leave it until it cools way down tonight and come get it?

I tried to attach a video of of it running but fan not turning. The engine was quite warm and it was quite hot outside.
I would say fan clutch.

That is a tough call. You don't want to run the risk of damaging anything by running too hot for too long. Keep eyes glued to that temp gauge and pull over if you have to if you decide to make a run for it.

Reactions: PhantomX
I would say fan clutch.

That is a tough call. You don't want to run the risk of damaging anything by running too hot for too long. Keep eyes glued to that temp gauge and pull over if you have to if you decide to make a run for it.
I did make a run for it with eyes glued on the gauge. I also had the the defrost cranked but since top/doors was off I didn't notice too bad. Anyway I made it and it never went over 210. I am going to do the fan clutch as well as the other cooling system components. Thanks for the reply.

Well that last time it overheated in the parking lot was the day after I replaced the thermostat and the fan clutch the week before. It hasnt overheated since then and ive put a couple hundred miles on it with lots of stop and go driving so looks like its fixed. Might have had a bubble the day after i replased the stat and it overheated. IDK but no issues in the FL heat now. Thanks

Reactions: Equilibrium31