Wrangler TJ Radiator Replacement

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Parts Needed
You should always, always, always use an OE Mopar radiator when replacing your radiator. They will last longer than any radiator out there, guaranteed. The radiator you need will depend on what year, engine, and transmission your Jeep Wrangler TJ is. See this thread for a breakdown if which radiator you need based off your year, engine, and transmission: Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ. That thread also has a number of other parts you should replace while you're in there, as well as lots of helpful information pertaining to refreshing your cooling system.

What kind of coolant should I use?
In my opinion you should be using HOAT coolant in your Jeep Wrangler TJ. Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) is a combination of IAT and OAT. Several manufacturers are using HOAT for their vehicles. One version is dyed orange and contains 10% recycled antifreeze. Another version is dyed yellow and does not contain any recycled antifreeze. Both of these HOAT antifreezes use the marketing designator of GO-5. They are compatible with each other but mixing them with IAT or OAT is not recommended. The normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000 miles (250,000 km).

A perfect example of a good HOAT coolant for use in your Jeep Wrangler TJ is the OE Mopar coolant or Zerex G0-5. It may be a little pricier, but it's generally going to last longer and be better for your cooling system.

How much coolant should I use?
See this thread for fluid capacities (it varies depending on which model TJ you have): Jeep Wrangler TJ Fluid Capacities

A note on later model thermostats from @mrblaine:
The later Mopar thermostats and others of similar design have changed the bleeder hole to be nearly non functioning. We've noted the change in the self burping function many times and finally resorted to drilling a 1/8" diameter hole next to the jiggler which solved the problem and made them work as before. The later ones are not self burping in the least until you fix them.

Procedure
Here's a YouTube video that details the process:

I noticed my radiator cap is cracked, and soon I'd like to replace the entire thing.

I could replace it with a Mopar radiator (great quality), however I don't want to deal with the bottom and top plastic caps cracking down the road?

Or, would it still be better than an aftermarket radiator?

I noticed my radiator cap is cracked, and soon I'd like to replace the entire thing.

I could replace it with a Mopar radiator (great quality), however I don't want to deal with the bottom and top plastic caps cracking down the road?

Or, would it still be better than an aftermarket radiator?

It will be better than any aftermarket radiator, guaranteed. An OE Mopar radiator will last probably 10+ years before the plastic cracks (which is actually amazing) whereas a cheap aftetmarket one will likely not even last half as long.

To get 10+ years out of any radiatior is amazing. Remember, all mechanical parts wear over time. The OE stuff just lasts a lot longer.

Reactions: Kyle_W and JP98
Nice write up Chris! I got 10 years and 140K out of my factory radiator when it decided to crack on me on my way to Moab. Thankfully, we rented a house with a two car garage, so changing it out wasn't too bad.

Reactions: Chris
Nice write up Chris! I got 10 years and 140K out of my factory radiator when it decided to crack on me on my way to Moab. Thankfully, we rented a house with a two car garage, so changing it out wasn't too bad.

Yep, that's not bad at all when you put it in perspective. I mean if you can get 10 years and 140k out of a part, that's damn good! Especially when it's a cooling system part that is constantly subjected to drastic temperature changes.

I hear stories of crappy replacement radiators (from the local part stores) lasting only 3-4 years.

Reactions: azcombatmedic
Yep, that's not bad at all when you put it in perspective. I mean if you can get 10 years and 140k out of a part, that's damn good! Especially when it's a cooling system part that is constantly subjected to drastic temperature changes.

I hear stories of crappy replacement radiators (from the local part stores) lasting only 3-4 years.

Well, I hope that won't be the case for me, since I had to put an O'Reilly Auto special in there. Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: Blondie70
I hear ya... Those things tend to crap at the worst times. Fortunately mine hasn't failed yet.

They aren't priced that bad, check it out:

Jeep Wrangler TJ OE Mopar Radiator (Manual Transmissions)
Jeep Wrangler TJ OE Mopar Radiator (Automatic Transmissions)

Wow...those prices are amazing...I was gonna get a Mopar one and it was going to cost me NZD $1000.00 which is about US $750.00 from a dealer out here....landed in NZ it was pretty close to $700.00 :(
I ended up buying an aftermarket brass core one for about $350 US....been great for the last 4 years.( I did the water pump and Thermostat at the same time too, it was just easier to do at the same time )

Reactions: Chris
Wow...those prices are amazing...I was gonna get a Mopar one and it was going to cost me NZD $1000.00 which is about US $750.00 from a dealer out here....landed in NZ it was pretty close to $700.00 :(
I ended up buying an aftermarket brass core one for about $350 US....been great for the last 4 years.( I did the water pump and Thermostat at the same time too, it was just easier to do at the same time )

Yeah, those import rates are highway robbery from what I've seen!

At least the one you've got has been holding up okay!

It will be better than any aftermarket radiator, guaranteed. An OE Mopar radiator will last probably 10+ years before the plastic cracks (which is actually amazing) whereas a cheap aftetmarket one will likely not even last half as long.

To get 10+ years out of any radiatior is amazing. Remember, all mechanical parts wear over time. The OE stuff just lasts a lot longer.

Thank you!

I also am curious if replacing my thermostats and water pump while I'm at it would be good preventative maintenance, or isn't really needed at the moment? (I have a 2002 TJ, so it's 15 years old)

I still am young, so I am not sure if spending money on preventive maintenance outweighs saving money in general.

Reactions: Blondie70