Wrapped 2004 Wrangler LJ: purchase or stay away?

benjo24

I'm looking at purchasing this 2004 LJ with 161,500 miles for under $13k. I would want to take off the wrap and go to its original color which was blue. The wrap was done in 2013 by the previous owner and the current owner has no pictures of the Jeep before it was wrapped. Could that mean the wrap is covering something major and I should stay away or could it be paint protected and a hidden gem? Just curious for y'all's thoughts.

8ee3afd5-50b1-4f8f-8f14-ac853b73a3c2.jpg

697e0dbb-7415-4b40-aa9c-5dbcae8979d1.jpg

f6f21d1c-2e67-4321-8d69-485273479eb1.jpg

f8814ee7-e358-4199-a904-92780af87076.jpg

I'm looking at purchasing this 2004 LJ with 161,500 miles for under $13k. I would want to take off the wrap and go to its original color which was blue. The wrap was done in 2013 by the previous owner and the current owner has no pictures of the Jeep before it was wrapped. Could that mean the wrap is covering something major and I should stay away or could it be paint protected and a hidden gem? Just curious for y'all's thoughts.

View attachment 430351

View attachment 430352

View attachment 430353

View attachment 430354

OMG!! I Love Your Bumpers!

I'd ditch the wheels, tires and bumpers before I'd remove the wrap. If you don't like the wrap, don't buy it. The paint could look like crap underneath. Professional wraps cost nearly as much as good paint jobs. I like the Diver Down neoprene seat covers. I think @RINC will buy the bumpers from you and pay shipping costs just to get them back. ;)

Last edited:
How does the rest check out ? Engine compression, transmission, rust, oil leaks etc, (carfax) usual stuff to look for in a used TJ/LJ. Tires and rest indicate to me it was driven on the road and not banged around in the woods/rocks etc. An LJ in good shape, hardtop, is certainly worth that. I could be wrong. D

Not sure I would take off the wrap though. Would want to get some pro opinion on that. D

https://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/mo...MIrqDn1tuu_wIVyRmtBh0ifAwrEAQYASABEgLAfvD_BwE

Last edited:
If you’re willing to search out of state, you can find an LJ with similar miles for under 13k, with factory paint no wrap.

I say keep looking.

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
Analyze the wrap well. If it's all smooth then it's probably decent underneath. If it's not then the wrap is hiding something.

Hard to hide anything serious under the wrap other than faded, lifting paint. If there is body damage the texture of it would show through the wrap.

Agree with others.. the wrap, while hard to look at for any length of time, isn't as egregious as the bumpers and wheels.