1. Want to have your TJ featured as the September 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until August 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

WTB: 97-02 Frame

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by jodomcfrodo, Aug 9, 2018 at 5:37 PM.

1. jodomcfrodo

jodomcfrodo TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

Hi all,
    I've been on the search for a frame for a while without too much luck so I thought I'd post up here to see if anyone has one or knows of one for sale. Doesn't matter much where it is, as long as it is in the US or even Canada. I've searched craigslist and ebay a bunch as well as facebook marketplace. If anyone sees anything pop up, please let me know!

Looking for a frame with:
    No rust inside or out
    No weld in sections
    Has to be straight
    4.0 motor mounts

Thanks!

2. Edward Turner

Edward Turner Member

You’re looking for used and not a new replacement?

3. jodomcfrodo

Supporting Member

Yup, I would like to keep the frame original. Not too keen on the throttle down kustoms option. I see more complications in the future with a non-stock frame.

4. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Edward Turner

Edward Turner Member

I’d almost bet you’ll have the best luck looking in Arizona or SoCal. So much rust everywhere else.

6. jodomcfrodo

Supporting Member

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, it appears like most of the frames on there have been in wrecks or have rust. There is one for sale on there that looks nice. Price is a bit crazy but I'll give the guy a call. Thanks again for the tip!

Thats my plan. Some people bring them up north to sell. Seen a couple of those that look promising. Weirdly, I haven't found any in the south besides one from Florida that looked sketchy. Driving distance isn't really a problem so I'm looking everywhere.

Chris likes this.
  7. tomtaylz

tomtaylz TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

I've seen a few pop up on the Jeep Flea market group. Not sure if this is the sketchy one the guy seems to run a Jeep salvage yard.

3 days ago
    9639FB2C-CC34-42D0-A8BC-35E2CF822A51.png

8. jodomcfrodo

Supporting Member

Could you link me to this facebook group? Would be interested in watching it. That frame looks nice, but unfortunately it is for a four cylinder. I'm hoping to find a plug and play frame (or as close as I can to a direct replacement).

EDIT: Found the group and joined. Thanks for the info!

9. tomtaylz

tomtaylz TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

Oh whoops I can’t read. Might be worth contacting the guy as he seems to run some salvage yard.

10. jodomcfrodo

Supporting Member

I actually contacted that guy a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I saw a weld on one of the control arm brackets that looked too sketchy to be factory. Despite the fact that he insisted it was factory, I'm not so sure. I'll definitely keep him in mind. Again, I appreciate the info. I crawled under my Jeep today and decided I can't drive it long distances or at speed until this is fixed. Sucks, but it is what happens when a Jeep sits in the salt!

tomtaylz likes this.
  11. Squatch

Squatch Master Thread Derailer
    Supporting Member

Contact Olympic 4X4 Supply in Monroe, Washington, and see what they have available. I would be more than willing to go check out a frame for you, if they sell 'em (I don't know why they wouldn't). Now, they can be an expensive establishment on some items, but I just don't know how much demand there is in this area for frames, as we typically do not deal with rust issues. The first thing I would look at would be why the TJ is in the yard. The last thing you need is a frame from a rig that was nailed in the front, or in any other kind of serious collision. Anyways, look 'em up on the web, and give 'em a call. Like I said, I'd be more than happy to check one out for you.

12. jodomcfrodo

Supporting Member

I appreciate your offer! I'll give them a call. Finding a straight frame is just as hard as finding a rust free frame. Doesn't seem like too many people part out straight TJ's with no rust. Can't blame them considering what price a rust free TJ can bring nowadays.

tomtaylz likes this.
  13. tomtaylz

tomtaylz TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

Yeah you almost need something that rolled on the roof and crushed the tub but didn't touch the frame or blown engine

#13 tomtaylz, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:13 PM
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 10:21 PM
  14. Squatch

Squatch Master Thread Derailer
    Supporting Member

I have seen at least one that they sold the frame out from under it (well, it was missing, anyways!). Also, I have seem complete rigs in the yard that had no apparent signs of major damage, so they must've come in for some other reason, I figure. Either way, just let me know.

There was one down south of Seattle here a while back that the guy was selling for $500. It was on Craigslist for about a month before it sold. Point is, they do show up from time to time. I'll look around here, and see what I can find. Ya just never know...;)

#14 Squatch, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 10:45 PM
    jodomcfrodo and tomtaylz like this.