XJ got rear ended on the way home from work

Even if it goes south, he’s the asshole and you are still the Good Guy, Squatch. Feel good about how you treated him, no matter what.

And since the damage was not that bad, not a big loss for you. But, I have faith in people too, so my bet is that it works out.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate that. I'm just really glad the guy didn't have to deal with my wife. That's a whole 'nuther ballgame! :LOL:

Yeah, I need to get in there and see what kind of room I have to work with. I don't believe the cracks even go all the way through, to be honest.

I haven't looked in a while since I don't own a XJ anymore but what does a rear hatch go for now? Just curious if you could find a good used one if the price was reasonable and save yourself the trouble of trying to repair the cracks.

I haven't looked in a while since I don't own a XJ anymore but what does a rear hatch go for now? Just curious if you could find a good used one if the price was reasonable and save yourself the trouble of trying to repair the cracks.

Pick N Pull sells 'em for $89. Sounds great, right? Problem is, a while back, they started crushing the roof on vehicles with a certain style of airbag in them, supposedly out of fear that they would discharge while a customer was pulling parts. Huh? They said it's a liability issue. So, the doors, side windows, and the hatches all get destroyed before the vehicle even makes it out to the yard. Sounds like bullshit to me, but I've experienced it personally, and two months later called to see if they were still doing that. Yup. Still doing it.

There are two independent yards local two me that sometimes have XJs. I'll check with them. But to be honest, it would be more hassle to repaint one to match than it would be to repair the original one. Also, the original has a heavily tinted window, rear defroster, and a wiper. Just seems simpler to repair it.

That sucks. My wife got rear ended once (snicker) by a van doing 35 while she was stopped. Rammed her into the car in front. So she got it from both ends (snicker).

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
'84 to '96 are fiberglass. They went steel from '97 to '01...

When they went from fiberglass to steel they also reduced the depth of the license plate "pool". Probably because it was easier to stamp the metal vs. construct it out of fiberglass.

I always like hanging out under my open XJ tailgate when it's raining. (camping, race track, etc.) I learned the hard way though, several times actually, to step to the side when I close the lid. If I stand in the middle, which would normally be the natural position, I'll get drenched. The license plate area is recessed and I'm guessing it probably holds 2 or 3 quarts of water.

Hopefully you've had better luck @Squatch .

When they went from fiberglass to steel they also reduced the depth of the license plate "pool". Probably because it was easier to stamp the metal vs. construct it out of fiberglass.

I always like hanging out under my open XJ tailgate when it's raining. (camping, race track, etc.) I learned the hard way though, several times actually, to step to the side when I close the lid. If I stand in the middle, which would normally be the natural position, I'll get drenched. The license plate area is recessed and I'm guessing it probably holds 2 or 3 quarts of water.

Hopefully you've had better luck @Squatch .

It never rains in the PNW. I wouldn't know anything about that of which you speak... :sneaky:

So, the guy who hit the XJ came through, just as he said he would. I met up with him a little over an hour ago, and he paid me the agreed upon price that will allow me to fix it, but keeps it out of the system. No drama, no hesitation. Just cash. Maybe there's hope for humanity, yet! ;)

Awesome. Hope you don't find anything worse now. And hoping you're doing OK physically too.

So, the guy who hit the XJ came through, just as he said he would. I met up with him a little over an hour ago, and he paid me the agreed upon price that will allow me to fix it, but keeps it out of the system. No drama, no hesitation. Just cash. Maybe there's hope for humanity, yet! ;)

Love it. The XJ lives to see another day, and it was done humanely, without some stupid insurance company that just wants to make money.