XJ got rear ended on the way home from work

Bummer this happened ! , hopefully the dude is standup and you can work it outside the , "system". I hope everything turns out great for both of you.
You probably weren't injured , but watch for signs of it. Best wishes for both of you !

Thanks, man. Talked with the guy at length, yesterday. Thus far, everything seems copasetic. If things work out as we agreed to, he will hand over some cash to cover my repairs when he receives his next paycheck. He assured me that he isn't going to "ghost me", reminding me that I have a photo of both his license and insurance card. Said he needed his current funds to replace the radiator and headlights so he has a vehicle to drive to work, otherwise, he would have just paid me right then. Sounds reasonable, and I can accept that. Still, until there's cash in my hand, there's always the chance...:cautious:

I'm hoping to get back to finding some way to enjoy it again, which might mean driving something a little less sensible, whatever that might be.

I think that might be the key to it. Throw practicality and reason in the trash and do a big smokey burnout into the sunset, you know right before bedtime, which I'm never late for anymore. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
We don't get a pic of the cherokee?

So little damage that I'm not sure it would show up well in the pictures. I mean, the bumper is pushed in about 3/4 of an inch on the passenger side, which is the bracket being bent. The "expensive" repair is going to be the hatch, which has some small cracking around the button, and off to the driver's side, down low. Really minimal, but it is damage, and I want to make it whole again. I honestly believe that the Cherokee faired so well because of the "softness" of the minivan's front end. Had he been driving anything with an old school front bumper on it, I'd probably be out a vehicle. After the impact, I completely expected to find buckled quarters when I went to the back of the rig. I was pleasantly surprised by what I didn't find. :)

@Squatch I assume you're planning on keeping the XJ. If I was in your situation, I would at a minimum measure the vehicle for squareness and alignment. Maybe consider having an alignment shop check it so that you have a third party professional opinion. Around here that would cost somewhere between free and $75 for an alignment depending on who you know. Either way, I think it would be worth it even if you have to eat the cost in the end.

@Squatch I assume you're planning on keeping the XJ. If I was in your situation, I would at a minimum measure the vehicle for squareness and alignment. Maybe consider having an alignment shop check it so that you have a third party professional opinion. Around here that would cost somewhere between free and $75 for an alignment depending on who you know. Either way, I think it would be worth it even if you have to eat the cost in the end.

Drove it into work this morning (31.5 miles), and it feels the same, as far as I can tell. Steering wheel is still centered, as well. At least these are good signs. (y)

Sorry about the accident and glad you and the Cherokee are doing decent. I even understand what you say about so little damage not showing up in the pictures but now I'm hoping you don't have a bit of brain injury or something that is stopping you from posting a picture or two of the Cherokee in it's current condition. Cherokee Lives Matter!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch and PCO6
Sorry about the accident and glad you and the Cherokee are doing decent. I even understand what you say about so little damage not showing up in the pictures but now I'm hoping you don't have a bit of brain injury or something that is stopping you from posting a picture or two of the Cherokee in it's current condition. Cherokee Lives Matter!!!

I'll try and remember to fry the eggs. It's Monday after all. My flea has dogs. No drain bamage, here. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JEEPCJTJ and PCO6
So little damage that I'm not sure it would show up well in the pictures. I mean, the bumper is pushed in about 3/4 of an inch on the passenger side, which is the bracket being bent. The "expensive" repair is going to be the hatch, which has some small cracking around the button, and off to the driver's side, down low. Really minimal, but it is damage, and I want to make it whole again. I honestly believe that the Cherokee faired so well because of the "softness" of the minivan's front end. Had he been driving anything with an old school front bumper on it, I'd probably be out a vehicle. After the impact, I completely expected to find buckled quarters when I went to the back of the rig. I was pleasantly surprised by what I didn't find. :)

Those XJs are tough! I still miss mine. Glad you're OK and I understand avoiding insurance but whenever I've tried doing that the other guy tried screwing me over. People can act super reasonable up until it's time to pay the bill.

Reactions: PCO6 and Squatch
Those XJs are tough! I still miss mine. Glad you're OK and I understand avoiding insurance but whenever I've tried doing that the other guy tried screwing me over. People can act super reasonable up until it's time to pay the bill.

Decades ago a woman rammed her Pontiac into the back of my VW. It was minor and we agreed to settle without involving our insurance companies. A week later I arrived at her front door to "collect" and she acted like she'd never seen me before. Her husband came to front door and when I explained the situation he said ... "not again". He opened his wallet and gave me a couple hundred bucks on the spot. :giggle:

Yeah, and I do realize that is a very real possibility. I'm hoping that because I treated him right, he'll return the favor. Probably very naïve of me to think like that, but...🤷‍♂️ I try to see the good in people, and give 'em a chance. Sometimes they actually come through...

How do you intend to fix the cracks in the liftgate? Sounds like it would need a respray to be done right after the crack repair. Not cheap. Why are you worried about the jeep being totaled? At least then you would get some money for a bodyshop

How do you intend to fix the cracks in the liftgate? Sounds like it would need a respray to be done right after the crack repair. Not cheap. Why are you worried about the jeep being totaled? At least then you would get some money for a bodyshop

Don't want the branded title. Don't want to deal with the insurance hassle, having to get it inspected, etc., etc. This is my daily driver right now, and I don't need the down-time. Also, I'm not someone that frets over mismatched paint. I could fog on some grey primer over the repairs (fiberglass hatch, so no rust concerns), and I'd be fine with it. Or I'll attempt the respray myself this summer, when I have the time. Either way, I prefer to stay outside of the insurance system, if possible.

Don't want the branded title. Don't want to deal with the insurance hassle, having to get it inspected, etc., etc. This is my daily driver right now, and I don't need the down-time. Also, I'm not someone that frets over mismatched paint. I could fog on some grey primer over the repairs (fiberglass hatch, so no rust concerns), and I'd be fine with it. Or I'll attempt the respray myself this summer, when I have the time. Either way, I prefer to stay outside of the insurance system, if possible.

Every state is different in that regard. If it changed your insurance rates somehow or was a pain to get registered again i see your point.

For proper fiberglass repair you need to feather it to a knifes edge on both sides of the crack before doing the layup. If theres room from the inside of the gate with a die grinder you might get away with some touch up on the outside?

Reactions: Squatch
Every state is different in that regard. If it changed your insurance rates somehow or was a pain to get registered again i see your point.

For proper fiberglass repair you need to feather it to a knifes edge on both sides of the crack before doing the layup. If theres room from the inside of the gate with a die grinder you might get away with some touch up on the outside?

Yeah, I need to get in there and see what kind of room I have to work with. I don't believe the cracks even go all the way through, to be honest.

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
Yeah, and I do realize that is a very real possibility. I'm hoping that because I treated him right, he'll return the favor. Probably very naïve of me to think like that, but...🤷‍♂️ I try to see the good in people, and give 'em a chance. Sometimes they actually come through...

Even if it goes south, he’s the asshole and you are still the Good Guy, Squatch. Feel good about how you treated him, no matter what.

And since the damage was not that bad, not a big loss for you. But, I have faith in people too, so my bet is that it works out.