XJ guy gets his 1st TJ - 99 Sahara

ToledoXJTJ

My buddy that I wheel with knew that I have wanted a Wrangler for a while so he called be up and said he'd give me 1st dibs on his and a good price. He wants a JKU Rubicon now that his family has grown. After a month or so of waiting I asked if he was still thinking of selling and did he have a price in mind, He said to make an offer so I said I probably cannot afford it but I had $5000 in my pocket. He said that was the number he had in mind and I was shocked.

Backstory on the Jeep. My buddy got it from a guy who said he had it while in the service while in Japan, brought it back and it lived in Cali for a while before ending up in Ohio to die of rust with 190,000. It sat for 3 years and that is when my friend met the guy, My friend is a service guy at TireMan auto shop and was chastting with the owner about Jeeps and the guy says "My wife wants it gone, If you can get it tomorrow I'll sell it for $500" They took a trailer that day and took it to Tireman and put it on the lift. Turns out the frame was solid and everything worked except the brakes. My buddy had been building up a rusty framed 98 so he just swapped over all the goodies to this one and sold the 98.

Over two years the Jeep sat a lot but started to get upgrades and maintenence done which brings me to yesterday when I bought it for the arguably paultry sum of $5000. My bud said he'd hook me up so he'd have someone to wheel with so I took him up on the deal. All it really needs is some cleanup, lockers, longarms and turn signals mounted in front.

I have had 2 XJs, one clean and lifted 3" that I sold when I started an hour commute to wiork a few years back. That one got a reman Chrysler engine in it and ran like a champ. Hated to let it go but the mileage dropped terribly after the engine swap.

The one I have now I grabbed for $1100 with a 6.5" RC long arm lift on it. It has new floors, bedlinered interior and a fresh cheapo paintjob on it. I use it to haul sidejobs in and wheel in summer

Here are both Jeeps in my driveway

IMG-2288.jpg

Some pics from Yesterday

IMG-2271.jpg

IMG-2276.jpg

IMG-2277.jpg

IMG-2285.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
Welcome to the group! Those are some nice XJs, there. My wife has a bone stock '96 2-door that was her daily driver until we acquired a granddaughter, and went with a Honda CR-V for better safety for the child. Anyways, congrats on your purchase! (y)