XJ Parts That Fit TJs

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Stop me if this already exists, but I thought it might be nice to have a list of what XJ parts fit on TJs. I see XJ part-outs every now and then, and sometimes I wonder what could be used.

If others reply, I'll update the list below.

Update: The list below is just a collection of comments on this thread. I can't take credit (or blame!). If something looks wrong, drop a comment and I'll update it.

Engine:​

• From an engine harness, many connectors and stuff (like the PDC) should be the same.
    • Engine block mounting holes differ. Think the XJ block is the same for a 97-98 TJ. Then 99-06 used same block as WJ.
    • Various horsepower and torque changes over the years but displacement remained the same.
    • 1991 they went to the HO (high output) engine but the change wasn't that much.
    • 2.5L was in the base model XJs 84-96.
    • 2.5L was also available in ‘97-‘01 XJs and is a straight swap to the TJ.

Drivetrain:​

• Transfer Cases:
    • 231 transfer case should be the same.
  • Front Axle

Suspension:​

• Front Suspension
    • The front suspension is the same (control arms, track bar, steering linkage).
    • Some differences in disc brake rotor dimensions (mid '99) on the Dana 30 and axle disconnects.
    • Smaller 260 U joints in early XJs.
  • Wheels (5x4.5 lug pattern)

Interior:​

• Steering Wheel (pre-2003), Airbag, and Clock Spring
    • Not sure. Can anyone confirm?
  • Gauge Cluster Bezel and Lens
    • Not all gauge clusters themselves can swap, see here.
  • Stock Stereo
  • Fog Light Rocker Switch
    • Wiring colors are different though.

Sensors:​

• @hear has a nice list going of the XJ sensors, many of which are interchangeable. See here for a preview.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Stop me if this already exists, but I thought it might be nice to have a list of what XJ parts fit on TJs. I see XJ part-outs every now and then, and sometimes I wonder what could be used.

If others reply, I'll update the list below.

• Wheels (5x4.5 lug pattern)
  • Gauge Cluster Bezel and Lens (I assume the gauge cluster itself too?)
  • Stock Stereo
No all Instrument Clusters will not work on ALL XJs and TJs due to wiring differences in the early years. Some came with Hatch Open indicators and some did not.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ and Fonz54
Ok, the list is updated. Others?

And any details about the 4.0s? I have the 2.5, but I doubt there was a 2.5L XJ?

I think the 4.0 was the same for most years of the XJ, right?

There were various horsepower and torque changes over the years but the displacement remained the same at 4.0 litre / 242 cu. in. In 1991 they went to the HO (high output) engine but the change wasn't that much. It was more of a marketing thing.

I think I remember reading someone’s post on here about having trouble swapping an XJ 4.0 into a TJ. Mounts being different or something. I’m not 100% sure.

XJ fog light rocker switch fits in the TJ panel. Wiring colors are different though.

There were various horsepower and torque changes over the years but the displacement remained the same at 4.0 litre / 242 cu. in. In 1991 they went to the HO (high output) engine but the change wasn't that much. It was more of a marketing thing.

I'm not sure which years were the Renix EFI....but the XJ went distributorless ignition in 1999 through 2001. In 1999 the XJ also got the rounded higher flow intake manifold and dual output exhaust header.

There are some engine mount differences between the XJ and WJ, not sure if that applies to the TJ also.

Looks like the Renix years were '87-'90. My kid has an '89 MJ, and I know it's Renix. He's actually got that thing running pretty good...finally.

XJ and TJ 4.0 engine blocks are different. The mounting holes for bracketry are different.
I think the Xj block is the same for a 97-98 TJ. After that the 99-06 used the same block as the WJ.

XJ and TJ 4.0 engine blocks are different. The mounting holes for bracketry are different.
I think the Xj block is the same for a 97-98 TJ. After that the 99-06 used the same block as the WJ.
I put a 2002 or 2004 (been a while) used 4.0L out of a WJ into my old 93 XJ. All the XJ electronics and fuel injection swapped over just fine. I did struggle with the motor mounts. I can't recall the exact solution but it involved mixing and matching the WJ and XJ mounts and bracketry to get it to work.

The rounded intake manifold needed a little trimming too, it was interfering with the Power steering pump bracket. It might have been the PS bracket that needed trimming.....its been like 15 years since I did this.

I'm not sure which years were the Renix EFI....but the XJ went distributorless ignition in 1999 through 2001. In 1999 the XJ also got the rounded higher flow intake manifold and dual output exhaust header.

There are some engine mount differences between the XJ and WJ, not sure if that applies to the TJ also.

The RENIX XJs and MJs were 1987 to 1990. In 1987 they had 173 hp and 220 ft. lb. of torque and then 177 hp. and 224 ft. lbs. of torque for the 1988 to 1990 models. These years have the RENIX MPI fuel injection system.

I think the slight change above had something to do with Chrysler buying AMC in 1987. There was a slow transition (according to many people) as the AMC parts supplies were used up. I have a 1988 MJ that is "AMC" and a 1989 XJ that is "Chrysler".

At one point I was the service manager at a small GM dealership in Arkansas. I had my pick of the trade-ins to drive as a shop truck. For a short period, I was driving an XJ with the GM 2.8L V-6. What a slug!

Interesting post about interchangeability!

Got me thinking about my 97. Bought it last year and PO explained a brief vague story about an engine swap. Not a lot of background history, but the engine and AX-15 run pretty good. Already changed the oil/filter once, but it never occurred to me to research why this engine had a 90-degree oil filter adapter on the block. Thought it was just a 6-cyl feature because my 99 4-cyl doesn't have it.

Somewhere else on this forum I read that the XJ 6-cyl had the 90-degree oil/filter, so guess that means I have a hybrid XTJ ... ?

Anyway ... I understand there's build date information on the block, but is there somewhere that would definitively tell me that the block came from an XJ (as opposed to coming from a TJ that just has a 90-degree adapter installed)??

Not really important ... so far everything's been great with the block and tranny. Just curious.