Xtreme Recon JLs come from the factory with only 2 inches of uptravel

HornedToad

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member

I can’t imagine Jeep thought this all the way through but they severely limited the uptravel with XR packaged jl’s. What were they thinking?

09B0EE9D-0F06-46F9-BF56-C78E91A06FD4.png

I can’t imagine Jeep thought this all the way through but they severely limited the uptravel with XR packaged jl’s. What were they thinking?

Lot of talk in the JL Wrangler forums about this. I am going to venture guesses that Jeep expects people to lift these things up anyway, and they perhaps rushed a bit to get something out to compete with the Bronco so not enough time to figure out a better solution? Either way .. silly to see that from the factory..

Last edited:
Definitely rushed to compete with the Bronco's 35" tire option. The funny part is Jeep added a 1.5" lift just to fit the 35's. I'd be more than a little upset if I paid the money they're asking for these only to discover 2" of up travel. Most will likely never know! :(

The LCOG crowd will probably use this as validation for their builds focusing on droop and saying that you only need a couple inches for rock crawling. Realistically though, this is just a style for people wanting the Jeep look and wouldn't ever know it's bad (unless they feel some on road harshness over larger bumps).

Definitely rushed to compete with the Bronco's 35" tire option. The funny part is Jeep added a 1.5" lift just to fit the 35's. I'd be more than a little upset if I paid the money they're asking for these only to discover 2" of up travel. Most will likely never know! :(

Could be wrong, but I think that is 1.5" over the rubicon suspension that already has some lift over regular.

Watching the video more: The Extreme Recon has 1.5" more lift than the Rubicon, but they also extend the bump stops down. This is to clear 37s and could look different on 35s (still not great though at something like 2-3" travel in that case).

That would suck to bottom out the suspension all the time.

I don't believe any of us can accurately tell how much up travel from that picture. For all we know it could have one tire on a parking block at the mall. Plus no one would put up with it constantly bottoming out like a slammed mini truck

The annotated image is Metalcloak levels of inaccurate. The 1" measurement between the soft jounce and the axle pad is only that. The jounce compresses into the cup. My guess from that pic is that there is at least 2" of up. Still not good. But let's at least have an attempt at accuracy.

09B0EE9D-0F06-46F9-BF56-C78E91A06FD4.png

Reactions: starkey480
The annotated image is Metalcloak levels of inaccurate. The 1" measurement between the soft jounce and the axle pad is only that. The jounce compresses into the cup. My guess from that pic is that there is at least 2" of up. Still not good. But let's at least have an attempt at accuracy.

View attachment 367643

It’s benders west coast rig