Ya had one little job, WTF?

The other side of that is if I had the same for every time I spec'd out +/- .125 and they held .005, I'd not be far behind you.

Here, cut these tie rods to length 35.25 and thread them. What's the tolerance? Give or take an eighth. Oh, we don't do that. We'll get them within .005. I really don't need that, I have 2" of adjustment. Sorry, that's the only way we do it.
Yeah, I have that discussion with my engineers too. "Why are you controlling that clearance cut to 5 thou? It's clearance... Why not just make sure it's there?". Almost as expensive as not putting a tolerance on at all.

With a single exception, no one I have ever designed parts for has appreciated my attention to detail. In fact it irritated most of them to the point of just being crappy with me about it. All they saw was the upfront cost and time not realizing that it would pay huge dividends on the back end with fewer customer complaints, higher durability, and almost no fitment issues.
Mr Blaine, I’m new around here, but this post makes me have the highest respect for you and your work ethic. When I was 19 I worked for a man who was just like that. For example he would fabricate a bracket that would be mounted under a vehicle (truck / heavy equipment), and would most likely never be seen by another individual. This bracket (or whatever he was fabbing at the time) would be expertly designed, and finely finished, ground, polished, primed and painted. And of course it performed well with the intended purpose and looking like a factory installed part. I inquired about it and he just said that’s how it’s supposed to be done. I grew up having learned that lesson, seems like you did too.

Mr Blaine, I’m new around here, but this post makes me have the highest respect for you and your work ethic. When I was 19 I worked for a man who was just like that. For example he would fabricate a bracket that would be mounted under a vehicle (truck / heavy equipment), and would most likely never be seen by another individual. This bracket (or whatever he was fabbing at the time) would be expertly designed, and finely finished, ground, polished, primed and painted. And of course it performed well with the intended purpose and looking like a factory installed part. I inquired about it and he just said that’s how it’s supposed to be done. I grew up having learned that lesson, seems like you did too.
TBH, I don't know where I got it, I do know it didn't come from my parents or how I was raised unless I am a perfect example of reverse psychology.

I just think if you pay money for something, it should do what it is supposed to do. Sometimes that takes a little work to make it do that, sometimes it takes a lot.

Cuts were done, pieces were made, stuff was bent and bolted together for welding.

DSC00252.JPG

Some grinding, some sanding, and we are almost ready to start building the inner fenders.
DSC00255.JPG
DSC00253.JPG

Cuts were done, pieces were made, stuff was bent and bolted together for welding.

View attachment 310741
Some grinding, some sanding, and we are almost ready to start building the inner fenders.
View attachment 310742View attachment 310743
Pretty sad that you pay that much for a set of aluminum fenders from a "well respected" company, then have to go through that much bullshit to make it actually fit. I see shit like that and it really sours me to the whole catalog of products that company makes.

View attachment 310741
Ok if y'all haven't tried to make a weld disappear without Bondo I don't think you will understand how impressive this is. I didn't understand until i tried to do it with my armor hinge plates. This is pure metal, no high fill primer no paint. Color me impressed.

Though I have to say I kind of liked the Frankenstein look with welds showing. :)

Pretty sad that you pay that much for a set of aluminum fenders from a "well respected" company, then have to go through that much bullshit to make it actually fit. I see shit like that and it really sours me to the whole catalog of products that company makes.
If it were that sort of deal, I wouldn't do it, I'd make the owner buy something that works. I got a decent deal on this set of fenders, the owner bought the inner fender set and I'm paying off my driveway. Were all of those stars not aligned, this would not be happening this way.

Reactions: Mike_H
I see shit like that and it really sours me to the whole catalog of products that company makes.
Way too many examples of it out there sadly. Entire shops' work even.

View attachment 310741

You always say what you do is simple, clean work ... but that is really the hardest thing to find. Most other people would just bolt it on and just be done with it. This is a beautiful example of doing things right .. and making it look as if it came that way.

Reactions: mrblaine
You always say what you do is simple, clean work ... but that is really the hardest thing to find. Most other people would just bolt it on and just be done with it. This is a beautiful example of doing things right .. and making it look as if it came that way.
What I appreciate is the patience (or obstinance) to go through and fix it, instead of throwing it in the garbage out of frustration.

Reactions: psrivats
It is both patience, stubbornness and the willingness to shitcan hours of work that didn't turn out right and start over.
This is the toughest thing, on my own stuff I tend to live it with and put it on the fix it later list. If someone was paying me I would have a different tune and agree it doesn't go out if it's not perfect.