Yaesu Wire/Plug Question

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
So, this wire came with my used / new-to-me Yaesu FT-7900R. As explained in the pic, I'm wondering what the name is for the plugs, so that I can connect it to my battery.

IMG_8025.jpeg

Many thanks! Had no clue how to begin Googling the shape/style of these plugs.

Interesting to hear that you had two sets of fuses. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of that, but I suppose better safe than sorry, so I might do the same.

The plug on the left is frequently called a "T shape" ham radio power connector. They come in 2-pin and 3-pin.

The plug on the right is a common SAE 2-pole power connector.

Automotive fuses are typically employed to protect the wiring rather than the appliance connected to that wiring. For this reason you should have a fuse sized for the power wire located close to the battery in order to protect the wiring. The smaller capacity fuse closer to the radio is designed to protect the appliance (radio) rather than the wiring.

Many (most?) hams fuse both ends of the power wire even if it isn't strictly necessary. Some use a larger capacity fuse in the supplied holder while others are critical of that practice. Some fuse both the positive and negative power cables; some don't.

More than you ever wanted to know about wiring a mobile install is here:

http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html

On the 2pole, trace the wire to maintain correct polarity. Some two poles are reverse and some are crossover. As long as the red from the radio goes to the positive post on the battery it’s good.

Reactions: SSTJ