Yakima Roof Rack Setup on TJ Hardtop

Absolutely, there were no DIY threads on this setup when I started it so i'm glad it has helped others. Please do add any other relevant info to the thread and post up some pics when done, we'd love to see your finished products!

PS: The LW+Extension is a perfect profile match to the TJ's hardtop, looks fantastic up there.
Possible to get a side and rear profile pic of your LW+Ext setup? No rush. I’m also liking your Yak RTT mounted straight to the roll bars, very doable in NM during the fall.

Reactions: EJD
Possible to get a side and rear profile pic of your LW+Ext setup? No rush. I’m also liking your Yak RTT mounted straight to the roll bars, very doable in NM during the fall.
Totally, I was thinking of mounting it back up there today (i've had it off for my recent move). I will post up when I do for you and the "Roof-less Rack" is a very cool even more low-profile option for decent weather situations. Though I have to admit the first time I took a trip like that it hailed on me, lol but only for a 15 minute period then went back to summer. Still cool options to have!

Reactions: Shamu
Alrighty, i've got a few shots of the Yakima LW+Ext up there for you @Shamu including the Axe+Shovel brackets!

Man you can really see how perfect the basket lines up with the profile of the TJ in those last 2 shots.

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg
IMG_3664.jpg
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3668.jpg

Reactions: Shamu
Also measure twice and drill once! ;) And ask questions if need be, i'm happy to help!
this, note the dummy screws in my roof. I pulled the rack off my YJ and drilled the holes in the same spots. But the TJ roof narrows and slopes in at the rear. To have the bars/load parrellel to the ground, the rear mounts must be narrower than the front. The YJ was quite literally a brick in the wind.

I use mine to haul ladders, with a third bar off the bumper so parrellel to the ground is required for me.

DSC_0003.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: EJD
Hi @jscherb - Would you recommend this Yakima roof rack rails and accessories, specifically for the Gr8tops hardtop, or do you have other brands that you would recommend. Would be moving gear and I personally like the basket style for how I would use the rails, both form and function. Thank you!

Hi @jscherb - Would you recommend this Yakima roof rack rails and accessories, specifically for the Gr8tops hardtop, or do you have other brands that you would recommend. Would be moving gear and I personally like the basket style for how I would use the rails, both form and function. Thank you!
The Yakima is a fine product but I haven't used one myself so I can't advise you on that one specifically.

I have an XJ Cherokee rack on my Safari Cab:

Final6.jpg

I regularly carry a lot of weight up there, including my roof top tent, and it works great. The XJ rack also has a lot of aftermarket support so there are lots of accessories you can get for it. And you can find a good one in a u-pull junkyard for about $15 (at least where I am)

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

You mentioned a basket; I also have a Garvin rack basket that I mount on the XJ rails using Surco XJ Rack Adapters and that works great too.

GarvinOnLJ1_zpsaxycdvrg.jpg

I've also built a front extension for it so I have some usable rack space when my RTT is installed; the extension bolts to the front of the Garvin basket and is supported in the front with brackets to the drip rails.

RTTStowed.jpg

The Gr8Tops Safari Cab does not have a feature that mine does though - when I designed the Safari Cab one of the design criteria was to support weights on a roof rack without stressing the fiberglass so I designed brackets that support the rack on the roll bar. Since all the weight on the rack is borne by the roll bars, I can carry any weight up there that's safe to drive with (even with the soft sides installed on the hardtop as in the photo above). Unfortunately Gr8Tops decided not to implement the brackets when they licensed the Safari Cab from me and put it in production.

I know Gr8Tops offers optional roof racks for the Safari Cab but I don't know what their weight recommendation is for those racks - I suggest you contact them to get their recommendation on maximum weight on a roof rack on a Safari Cab hardtop.

Reactions: J R and skrelnik
The Yakima is a fine product but I haven't used one myself so I can't advise you on that one specifically.

I have an XJ Cherokee rack on my Safari Cab:

View attachment 223528

I regularly carry a lot of weight up there, including my roof top tent, and it works great. The XJ rack also has a lot of aftermarket support so there are lots of accessories you can get for it. And you can find a good one in a u-pull junkyard for about $15 (at least where I am)

View attachment 223529

You mentioned a basket; I also have a Garvin rack basket that I mount on the XJ rails using Surco XJ Rack Adapters and that works great too.

View attachment 223530

I've also built a front extension for it so I have some usable rack space when my RTT is installed; the extension bolts to the front of the Garvin basket and is supported in the front with brackets to the drip rails.

View attachment 223531

The Gr8Tops Safari Cab does not have a feature that mine does though - when I designed the Safari Cab one of the design criteria was to support weights on a roof rack without stressing the fiberglass so I designed brackets that support the rack on the roll bar. Since all the weight on the rack is borne by the roll bars, I can carry any weight up there that's safe to drive with (even with the soft sides installed on the hardtop as in the photo above). Unfortunately Gr8Tops decided not to implement the brackets when they licensed the Safari Cab from me and put it in production.

I know Gr8Tops offers optional roof racks for the Safari Cab but I don't know what their weight recommendation is for those racks - I suggest you contact them to get their recommendation on maximum weight on a roof rack on a Safari Cab hardtop.

Do your XJ rails have a stanchion that go through the fiberglass top and connect to the roll bar? Was that custom made by you?

Do your XJ rails have a stanchion that go through the fiberglass top and connect to the roll bar? Was that custom made by you?
The XJ rails mount to any flat surface, they do not have anything that protrudes below the surface of the roof (except of course for whatever screws are used to secure the rail to the roof).

I designed the roll bar brackets and made a prototype set that's been in use in my LJ since I finished building the hardtop. I offered the bracket design to Gr8Tops but they decided not to go ahead with them.

The XJ rails mount to any flat surface, they do not have anything that protrudes below the surface of the roof (except of course for whatever screws are used to secure the rail to the roof).

I designed the roll bar brackets and made a prototype set that's been in use in my LJ since I finished building the hardtop. I offered the bracket design to Gr8Tops but they decided not to go ahead with them.

Are you aware of any other third parties that may sell your design as it is far superior to the current methods. I do not trust the quality/integrity of the Gr8tops roof to support any more weight than a typical New England snowfall, so I would be looking for a design similar to yours so I could be comfortable the cargo is well supported.

Maybe when I find a shop that can repair the hardtop I can see if they can fabricate the stanchions.

Are you aware of any other third parties that may sell your design as it is far superior to the current methods. I do not trust the quality/integrity of the Gr8tops roof to support any more weight than a typical New England snowfall, so I would be looking for a design similar to yours so I could be comfortable the cargo is well supported.

Maybe when I find a shop that can repair the hardtop I can see if they can fabricate the stanchions.
I'm not aware of any commercial roof rack to roll bar brackets for the TJ.

So what would this cost for total parts roof bar set up only? Amazon is quite confusing for the parts needed.

Yeah that super low-profile basket your talking about is or was called the Yakima "Basketcase" and is a discontinued product at this point...kind of a bummer cause it was the only basket that could be mounted below the bars to get that flush look.

I have a Yakima Loadwarrior + Extension which is really perfect for the TJ's roofline, gives you a great safari look. But they just came out with the "Skinny-warrior + Extension" which is brand new for 2019 and looks really cool, you might consider that one. I also have the Rooftop Awning on there as well so you can get an idea of what that all looks like.

View attachment 122181
Hi EJD, it’s been some time since you’ve posted your setup. How has it held up? Any issues with load bearing, specifically with the RTT? I was looking into the HD crossbars but they’re 55” and your 50” looks like it fits perfect. I’m really digging your setup but really want to learn more before I commit to it. Thanks in advance!

Yeah that super low-profile basket your talking about is or was called the Yakima "Basketcase" and is a discontinued product at this point...kind of a bummer cause it was the only basket that could be mounted below the bars to get that flush look.

I have a Yakima Loadwarrior + Extension which is really perfect for the TJ's roofline, gives you a great safari look. But they just came out with the "Skinny-warrior + Extension" which is brand new for 2019 and looks really cool, you might consider that one. I also have the Rooftop Awning on there as well so you can get an idea of what that all looks like.

View attachment 122181
Hi EJD, it’s been some time since you’ve posted your setup. How has it held up? Any issues with load bearing, specifically with the RTT? I was looking into the HD crossbars but they’re 55” and your 50” looks like it fits perfect. I’m really digging your setup but really want to learn more before I commit to it. Thanks in advance!

I am also pretty interested in this roof bar fit longevity but am really worried about highway speed cargo front "Uplift" of the load more than weight on top!
So there is no tie down points other than the bars themselves and its relying on 2 bolts per side per bar through thin Fibre glass?
I will do this if it works long term rather than fit a per side rail with lots of bolt holes as I don't need to carry too much weight!

ARB in Australia is getting slaughtered at the moment for there on roof rail systems that are actually not rated (in the fine print) to carry any more weight than 2 Maxtraxs! This only came to light when a few people lost their roof top tents on the highway and didn't get compensated because they exceeded (hidden in non speak) maximum weight limits

Cheers

Ask yourself this: are you willing to put a RTT on a hardtop with a roof bar system not rated to carry that weight? I am willing to do it for a "surf rack" type situation tie down if it works :)

Hi,
Any thoughts of doing this set up instead as you can also use with the soft top and hardtop and in the ens is cheaper
1632259556178.png

Nice job and instructions. May be a dumb question but do you think it would be strong enough to rig up a pully system in the garage ceiling and use the crossbars to support the weight of the top to remove/suspend it?
I know this is an old thread but my first read. I have the same Yakima rack on my Dmax with Leer shell (very heavy). I've used the crossbars to remove and install the Leer for 15 years without issue. Assuming the TJ/LJ roof is as stout and with big washers on the inner side I see no problem. Also, my LJ lid has three 1/4" eyelets installed by a PO and I just used them to remove and install the LJ roof.

I'm also curious what you folks with heavy loads - tire carriers, fuel cans, water, RTT, etc. - run for rear springs? Anything other than stock? I'd expect a high spring rate to be a necessity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
X2 on local Craigslist. I always seem to find Yakima and Thule stuff on there.

You're right, drilling through the hard top is by far the scariest part. However, I think your idea of assembling the rack, then putting it on the hard top, tracing the mounts, then drilling... Well that would be exactly how I would do it, since I wouldn't want to mess up!
Dredging up an old thread.

Right on Chris. Found a NIB Thule complete with tracks, towers, locks and crossbars on CL for $300; pretty close to 1/2 price. Guy wanted $399 but took $300 if I came to get it (400 mi. round trip). It just so happens my daughter is on her way home from Reno and they'll meet on the highway to trade cash for product.

All this so I can haul this to my favorite alpine lakes and brookie cricks (Montana spelling). And camping junk when I'm not rocking the kayak. Also work great for hoisting the hardtop off the LJ (done it with my LEER 8' shell for years).

Kilroy.jpg

Reactions: Chris