Yakima Roof Rack Setup on TJ Hardtop

Looking back on like pg 3 of this thread it looks like people are using these with roof top tents. Unless I'm missing something

The factory hard top can hold maybe 150-200 lbs.

If you want to put a tent on top of it and body weight, by all means be my guest.

Just realize the only thing that is supporting you is a fiberglass hard top with a very low weight capacity.

The factory hard top can hold maybe 150-200 lbs.

If you want to put a tent on top of it and body weight, by all means be my guest.

Just realize the only thing that is supporting you is a fiberglass hard top with a very low weight capacity.

Totally understand where you're coming from. However I am curious how these few guys posting on this thread are doing this without issue. Or if anyone that did this is still posting, maybe some feedback/opinions?

Totally understand where you're coming from. However I am curious how these few guys posting on this thread are doing this without issue. Or if anyone that did this is still posting, maybe some feedback/opinions?

That's a good question and I hope one of them will chime in. If they're doing it and supporting the weight on the hardtop alone, they may be in the running for a Darwin Award.

Alrighty, i've got a few shots of the Yakima LW+Ext up there for you @Shamu including the Axe+Shovel brackets!

Man you can really see how perfect the basket lines up with the profile of the TJ in those last 2 shots.

View attachment 125080

View attachment 125081

View attachment 125082

View attachment 125083

View attachment 125084

View attachment 125085

How's this holding up longterm? I'd love to do this but would think some support under the feet inside the jeep to the Rollbar would be a good idea.

I'd love to do this but would think some support under the feet inside the jeep to the Rollbar would be a good idea.

I’m curious about this too. And wondering if the position of the feet & the drilled holes are centered above the roll bars so that the supports would even work. In the photos, the holes look like they’re inboard of the roll bars.