Yakima Roof Rack Setup on TJ Hardtop

First post on the forum and wanted to say a big Thank You to EJD for this write up. This is exactly what I was looking to do to my TJ and everything worked out perfect.

I picked up the Yakima RTT as well and my daughter and I had a great camping trip with several more planned over the next few months.

23647AF2-A208-49BE-9483-F0F6DD11560A.jpeg

19AEE627-5494-4BBA-B26D-4BF9D9155951.jpeg

20E18DB6-D48D-4230-AD8A-490696D3238F.jpeg

BEC02D69-0D58-4414-A252-F2B0788A2378.jpeg

Also picked up a Roof Rack for a little extra capacity when not using the tent.

Thanks again EJD!

First post on the forum and wanted to say a big Thank You to EJD for this write up. This is exactly what I was looking to do to my TJ and everything worked out perfect.

I picked up the Yakima RTT as well and my daughter and I had a great camping trip with several more planned over the next few months.

View attachment 312423

View attachment 312424

View attachment 312425

View attachment 312426

Also picked up a Roof Rack for a little extra capacity when not using the tent.

Thanks again EJD!
👍

Reactions: Doug-AK
Great write up! It’s good to know I could put my RTT up there!
I’ve had my Yakima roof rails on my Tj about 6 years. My crossbar mounts are exactly wide enough to store above the rollbar in the back of the cab so I always have them with me but no wind noise when not needed. Very convenient @ the lumber yard!

F21853E1-2FC2-4F43-998C-BF54F3CD51E6.jpeg

D3B211FF-ADFA-406B-B912-F33858F4C7AE.jpeg

584A8257-EB5A-486D-88C9-B2BE7AC2FEE5.jpeg

Reactions: J.Pierce
Great write up! It’s good to know I could put my RTT up there!
I’ve had my Yakima roof rails on my Tj about 6 years. My crossbar mounts are exactly wide enough to store above the rollbar in the back of the cab so I always have them with me but no wind noise when not needed. Very convenient @ the lumber yard!

View attachment 323122

View attachment 323123

View attachment 323124
Did you use the 54” tracks or the 60” and cut them down? I like the rail/track setup, distributes the weight better and give flexibility for the crossbars.

Can’t recall. Rails go pretty much front to back.
I should have been more clear as to why I ask. The 54” are the appropriate size but they are in eternal back order it seems so I was thinking of getting the 60” and cutting them down. The bigger question for me is this I suppose. Do the track end caps come off so one COULD cut the tracks/rails down or are they built into the tracks/rails?

I should have been more clear as to why I ask. The 54” are the appropriate size but they are in eternal back order it seems so I was thinking of getting the 60” and cutting them down. The bigger question for me is this I suppose. Do the track end caps come off so one COULD cut the tracks/rails down or are they built into the tracks/rails?
As I recall they sleeve into the ends of the rails so, yes you could trim them to fit.
As an aside, I had some old rail channel off a boat that the Bimini top would slide in. These were close enough (but not as nice) that I used them for the Yakima racks on my pickup.
Good luck!

Been following along and will be installing my Thule rack with tracks this weekend. This is the square bar version. The tracks will allow me to remove crossbars and towers in one piece for a lower profile when not in use, with only tracks visible or exposed. I'll be hauling an awning (portable, not attached to the roof) and various other light weight gear (no full coolers, etc) or my Jackson Kilroy fishing kayak occasionally (79#) just strapped to the crossbars.

Intent is to install 1/4 ID x 1.5" OD fender washers inside for better support all around. I've hoisted the 8' Leer shell off my Chevy for years using roof rack crossbars without issue (albeit the Leer might be thicker fiberglass but is definitely a lot heavier) so I don't expect a problem doing the same with the LJ.

Now for a basket for occasional use (obviously not with the kayak). Thule wants $400 for theirs.
I'm not finding accessory mounts for their basket (shovel, traction boards, possibly a RotoPax, etc.) or for the square crossbars. I'll look for 'universal' mounts online but if anyone has experience with accessory mounts on Thule (or Yakima) square bars and/or baskets please chime in. I guess traction boards and shovel would have priority since I have a 5 gallon gas can mount on the Currie rear bumper.

So.. 12 holes in the hardtop.. no biggie. RTV is my friend.

Been following along and will be installing my Thule rack with tracks this weekend. This is the square bar version. The tracks will allow me to remove crossbars and towers in one piece for a lower profile when not in use, with only tracks visible or exposed. I'll be hauling an awning (portable, not attached to the roof) and various other light weight gear (no full coolers, etc) or my Jackson Kilroy fishing kayak occasionally (79#) just strapped to the crossbars.

So.. 12 holes in the hardtop..

Any progress on you roof rack? Pics?

I’m still gathering information and ideas from all of these posts on this thread before I actually pull the trigger on mine.

I’m hoping to end up with a fairly low profile rack, whether or not I decide on the landing feet or the tracks.

Great thread! More pics!!

Any progress on you roof rack? Pics?

I’m still gathering information and ideas from all of these posts on this thread before I actually pull the trigger on mine.

I’m hoping to end up with a fairly low profile rack, whether or not I decide on the landing feet or the tracks.

Great thread! More pics!!

Not yet. Got sidetracked with fuel fill issue and dealing with that right now.
I'll post pics when it's done .

Alrighty, i've got a few shots of the Yakima LW+Ext up there for you @Shamu including the Axe+Shovel brackets!

Man you can really see how perfect the basket lines up with the profile of the TJ in those last 2 shots.

View attachment 125080

View attachment 125081

View attachment 125082

View attachment 125083

View attachment 125084

View attachment 125085

Still haven't gotten around to the install. Thinking MegaWarrior with extension might be the ticket for the LJ (59" + 22" = 81") compared to LoadWarrior + extension at 44" + 18" = 62". Just brainstorming. Might lay the assembled Thule with tracks on the roof today and get some pre-measurements.

(One nice thing about the TJ Hardtop is that it has these 6 grooves molded into the top, the 2 outermost grooves are too far out to use as a guideline for centering and not where you want to be drilling through. Of the middle 4 grooves that all look the same, use the outer 2 as you can see in my pictures). Measure off those grooves the distance you wish for idea roof thickness and Landing Pad placement. Make sure you stay away from any seams that may be on your Hardtop especially on the inside of the roof and towards the rear.

Because the minimum distance between my Thule tracks with the 59" square bars adjusted fully inward is 42", the tracks can't mount between the ribs as in the original post. It appears to me that outside of the outmost ribs on the roof (#1 & #7) is a single thicker material (or layers just closer together) compared to between the ribs, which is two layers of thinner material with a gap between, evidenced by the old knock your knuckles on it for that solid or hollow sound. Outside the ribs might be a stronger mounting surface than between the ribs. I can avoid the 'seam' in the fiberglass.
My only concern with mounting the track outside the ribs is it might be slightly canted and could possibly affect how the towers slide.. I think it'll be fine.

Tracks 58.5" L. These are close to the same length as the roof ribs on an LJ.
Crossbars 59" L.

Next up: Search baskets to see if any of the less expensive units are worthwhile compared to the Yakima MegaWarrior. I passed on Rack Attack Labor Day sale.. still not sure I need a basket. Craigslist or FB Marketplace don't yield much within reach of my middle-of-nowhere town.

Got it done.

PXL_20220921_174821105.jpg

1/4-20 x 3/4" SS Button head.
PXL_20220922_002042618.jpg

Yup,.full width.
PXL_20220922_002006672.jpg

Uni-bit to 1/4" diameter.
PXL_20220922_001949768.jpg

PXL_20220922_001932674.jpg

Track butted up to outside of the outermost rib.
PXL_20220922_001928687.jpg

Slides perfectly on the tracks.
PXL_20220922_001921834.jpg

RTV around fasteners under tracks. Rear of 59" track squared up with rear of rib.

Next up: traction board mount using hood pins.
Kayak can wait for next summer.
Crossbars and/or towers can be easily removed leaving only the tracks.
Wind fairing and cargo stops on the way.

PXL_20220921_194432272.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Pierce
The XJ rails mount to any flat surface, they do not have anything that protrudes below the surface of the roof (except of course for whatever screws are used to secure the rail to the roof).

Any particular XJ I should be looking for as the donor? I’m hoping to go this route , primarily b/c of the savings… but this really looks nice up there on your safari top. thanks

Finished - almost.
Still have to mock up traction board mounts. Pics of that to follow.

You might notice the scabs on the windshield guards. Should have figured out the limb risers.

PXL_20220926_203633493.jpg

PXL_20220926_204829905.jpg