Yellr speedometer recalibration box on non-Rubicon model TJ?

None whatsoever. Not my favorite correction device but I do have one on the TJ Unlimited with the 231. I don't like chasing gears and I've changed it enough that I like being able to just correct it easily. Doing it again, I would use the Jet Accuspeed like I just installed. I don't like having to live the hood and plug in a correction factor. I much prefer to turn the potentiometer screw and watch the speedo needle synch up with the GPS.
Thanks for chiming in on the subject. As I said earlier, folks were saying it might not be compatible, and it's clear we didn't know it was. Oops.

Reactions: Chris
Two reasons not to run one;
1. Cost compared to a new speedo gear
2. Instructions say to mount it in a "reasonably dust free and dry area." Not really happening in a TJ, unless it is purely an on road rig.
I drill a hole in the firewall right in front of the fuse block behind the dash. Run the wires inside and then I have industrial Velcro I use to stick them right to the metal frame on the bottom of the passenger air bag. Zip it off and adjust it, put it back and it is as protected as it needs to be.

That is the beauty of being open minded!

Yep! I haven't owned a TJ with a NV231 transfer case. I was always under the impression the speedometer was driven by a cable (hence the gear). Looks like I was wrong!

Hi I am interested in using the Jet Accuspeed re calibrator , but on their website they say it will only work with the automatic transmission.
I have a 2005 Sahara with manual transmission ,231 TC .
Has anyone used it with the manual transmission ?

Hi I am interested in using the Jet Accuspeed re calibrator , but on their website they say it will only work with the automatic transmission.
I have a 2005 Sahara with manual transmission ,231 TC .
Has anyone used it with the manual transmission ?
They are mistaken, it works perfectly with the manual trans.

Thank you mrblaine
I thought as much because the pick up is from the transfer case not the gearbox.
Do you connect to the dark blue and orange wires as per their instructions ?
Any addional information in connecting it up would be appreciated.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they are confused. The signal is generated at the speedo drive and goes to the PCM. How that becomes transmission specific is beyond my understanding. I just read the instructions, labeled the wires as from the unit to the sender and from the sender to the PCM. In and out basically. The instructions were slightly confusing and I had to read it a couple of times to get it straight in my head but if you remember you are just cutting the signal wire to intercept the signal, send it to the module that then alters it so it can go to the PCM corrected, it may be easier. Or maybe that's just how I like to see it.

I'd label the wires as-
Red- ignition power
Black- Ground
XXXXX- raw signal in
XXXXX- Corrected signal out

But hey, what do I know?

We have found that the easiest way to locate ignition power is to use a good fuse tap at the instrument cluster fuse and use that to control a relay for all of your ignition power needs.

Reactions: Rocketeer
Yeah, I'm not sure why they are confused. The signal is generated at the speedo drive and goes to the PCM. How that becomes transmission specific is beyond my understanding. I just read the instructions, labeled the wires as from the unit to the sender and from the sender to the PCM. In and out basically. The instructions were slightly confusing and I had to read it a couple of times to get it straight in my head but if you remember you are just cutting the signal wire to intercept the signal, send it to the module that then alters it so it can go to the PCM corrected, it may be easier. Or maybe that's just how I like to see it.

I'd label the wires as-
Red- ignition power
Black- Ground
XXXXX- raw signal in
XXXXX- Corrected signal out

But hey, what do I know?

We have found that the easiest way to locate ignition power is to use a good fuse tap at the instrument cluster fuse and use that to control a relay for all of your ignition power needs.
Thank you
That is how I understood it , but good to have confirmation from someone experienced who has done it before

I have a 1998 jeep TJ (non Rubicon) with the 5 speed. I'm wanting to install a 241 Rubicon transfer case into it. The current 231 as you know is gear driven and the 241 is electronic. Can I use this "yellow box" to make my speedometer work and will it be accurate

I have a 1998 jeep TJ (non Rubicon) with the 5 speed. I'm wanting to install a 241 Rubicon transfer case into it. The current 231 as you know is gear driven and the 241 is electronic. Can I use this "yellow box" to make my speedometer work and will it be accurate
Yes