Yet another First Jeep Thread

sab

"Semper Discens"
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, TJers!

As I approach retirement age, I finally purchased my first Jeep back in mid-June. I'd been wanting an LJ ever since they came out, but other hobbies always got in the way. In late spring, I decided to finally pull the trigger. Knowing that I was entering the market at the wrong time (high prices), I decided that I'd pay stupid-money for a prime candidate and began my search. I ended up with a Light Metallic Khaki 2004 Rubicon (manual 6-speed) with about 48,000 miles on it. In case you're wondering, "stupid-money" in June 2021 is almost $30k!

I flew to South Carolina to pick it up and drove it home. Home is DITHOT - that's code for "Deep In The Heart of T _ _ _ _" Sorry - I keep a very low online presence and don't like to publicly post too much private information. My avatar photo was taken on the way back home the day I purchased it. I have big plans for this Jeep, which will really just be a vehicle used to drive to the Rocky Mountains for backcountry hunting and backpacking trips. It probably won't see much rock-crawling, but it will be capable of it.

It was relatively un-modified, with the biggest exceptions being a cold air intake and a Rubicon Express long-arm lift. The cold air intake has already been replaced with a stock system (I prefer closed air boxes to open filters on non-race vehicles), and I'm planning a complete steering, suspension, and drivetrain update soon. So far, these changes are either in process or complete:
  • Rebuilt/restored the SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch
  • McGard Lug Nuts/Locks
  • Buchanan Precision 1.5" Seat Riser Kit
  • MORyde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit and Hinges (modified for tail lights and powder-coated OD green)
  • Crown OPDA
  • Bartact Seat Covers
  • Alpine iLX-W650 head unit and Metra Dash Kit
  • Alpine Third Brake Light and Rear Camera
  • Alpine Front Camera
  • SpeedoHealer (it came with metric 33" tires on it, but no speedo change)
  • Warn M8274-S with cover and Wireless Remote System (GenRight mount)
  • TRE Safety Thimble
  • Dirtworx Rear Bumper with Hitch and RockHard Frame-Bumper Ties (I use a cargo basket for meat coolers when hunting)
  • Savvy Front Bumper with Hooks, Light Mounts, Winch Guard, and Hardcore Corner Guard Kit
  • TeraFlex Hand Throttle Kit (for both on-board air and winching)
  • Savvy LED Tail Lights and License Plate Relocation Kit
  • NorthStar NSB-AGM24M Battery
  • Singer 270A Alternator
  • 00 Power Cables (self-made)
  • Truck-Lite Heated LED Headlights
  • ORO York Compressor Kit
  • Secondary Power Distribution Center (thanks for the guide, Steel City 06!)
  • RockSlide Engineering Electric Steps Kit with Armor (I have a short wife, and my knees and hips ain't what they used to be!)
Other changes planned are:
  • Replacement LED Lighting (it came with 4 six-inch PIAA lights on it) - yes, I'm considering a 50" light-bar (for you light bar haters, I'm aware of the issues with them)
  • Savvy Body and Engine Lifts
  • Savvy T-case Cable Kit
  • Tummy Tuck (brand T.B.D.)
  • Savvy Mid-Arm Lift (probably with 3" Savvy springs, as I'll stick with 33s)
  • Savvy Bump Stops
  • Shocks and Steering Damper (brand T.B.D.)
  • Savvy Front Track Bar
  • Savvy/Currie Steering Kit
  • Black Magic Big Brake Kit
  • Re-gear with Chromoly Axles
  • New Tom Wood Driveshafts
  • Pro Comp Series 69 Wheels
  • BFG KM3 Tires
  • Complete Frame Restoration (body off)
This LJ project is my therapy, as I've suffered a serious health setback this year. As a result, I've realized that life is way too short! This web site has been incredibly helpful, and I will be paying for membership soon, as I look forward to participating more and more as I get more experience with this LJ!

Regards,
sab

Last edited:
Welcome... it sounds like a well planned, thoughtful setup!
I love a good "I flew in to buy it" story! I did that once with a Subaru WRX that was in St Louis while I was in Chicago.