Yet another leveling question: spacers or springs?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
According to @AndyG, the Leveling Board meets every 45 days, so hoping I get this request in with ample lead time…

2000 TJ with about 75k miles. Daily driver that sees soft sand beaches and easy dirt and fire roads to dispersed camping locations.. more of an over lander. This is an aesthetics mod.. I don’t need more clearance.

I can count on two hands the number of times I have had passengers (I shuttle my daughter a bit but that’s it) and when going camping i basically take little more than my backpacking kit so not adding a lot of weight.

PO did a shit a job with the lift.. Rough Country springs and shocks and that’s it. I did adjustable front track bar, rear relocation bracket, all bushings front & rear, sway bar links front & rear and skid plate drop kit. I replaced the RC shocks with the highly recommended Rancho’s. Currently on 33” Falken Wild Peaks on 15x10 ProComp 69’s and I don’t see the need to go to a larger tire. If anything, I may go to a narrower wheel at some point in the not-so-near future. Stock bumpers with the front shortened a few inches.

Ride quality is better than I would imagine it could be and I smile every time I drive the Jeep, but that forward rake is killing me.

Front springs measure 14” (plus a 1/2” Daystar poly spacer) and the rears measure 10”.

Ground to front Bushwacker flat flare is 38 3/4” and to the rear flare is 40”. Ground to the bottom of the rocker behind the front wheel is 22 1/2” and at the rear corner 26”.

The math tells me I have a simple 2” RC lift. I’m thinking the height difference at the bottom of the tub is the most telling measurement since the difference at the fender flare doesn’t support the perceived visual difference.

Looking for guidance as to best course of action to eliminate the rake. I wouldn’t mind another inch or two overall (that was intentional.. what guy wouldn’t welcome another inch or two). Replacing the springs (the last of the Rough Country parts) is a possibility, but ride quality, as subjective as it is, is great as it is now. Could it be better? I don’t know what I don’t know.

Or, I can add spacers up front, or do something like the Q-Tec kit that adds spacers both front and rear.

In either case, is there anything else I will need to do? Will either of the springs or spacers create issue with steering geometry? Pros and cons of each?

72DFB159-E196-4ECE-AC3C-89587B1E6CC8.jpeg

Reactions: AndyG
In my opinion your Jeep has a good stance, unless picture is deceiving. As you drive, rear will sink down and you will be roughly leveled.
My Jeep used to be empty, now back is full of everything, things change. You level it now and year later decided to throw in more than a back pack of camping gear in there, what then, gonna scratch your head again?

My eye measuring ruler tells me that this spacers will do the trick. Not an inch or two, but what guy would say no to this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GH5OF2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

RC springs are 2.5". I'd just swap them with 3" BDS or similar front springs. I lift all my Jeeps 1" higher in the front because I never ride people in the back. They still sit slightly higher in the rear.
p.s. Your Jeep looks great.
white jeep5.jpg

jeep 03 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

SAHARA NEW.jpg

WILLYS 35s.jpg

Rubi TS2.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion your Jeep has a good stance, unless picture is deceiving. As you drive, rear will sink down and you will be roughly leveled.
My Jeep used to be empty, now back is full of everything, things change. You level it now and year later decided to throw in more than a back pack of camping gear in there, what then, gonna scratch your head again?

My eye measuring ruler tells me that this spacers will do the trick. Not an inch or two, but what guy would say no to this?
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GH5OF2/?tag=wranglerorg-20[/URL]
Thanks. I know I’m splitting hairs. I’m probably just itching to do another mod.

The spacers you linked to after the ones I just put in. I have two sitting in my parts bin. The fronts didn’t really seem to make a difference. A 1” might have done it.
RC springs are 2.5". I'd just swap them with 3" BDS or similar front springs. I lift all my Jeeps 1" higher in the front because I never ride people in the back. They still sit slightly higher in the rear.
p.s. Your Jeep looks great.
View attachment 350988

View attachment 350977

View attachment 350985

View attachment 350986

View attachment 350987
there you go!

That slightly nose up stance!

The second and third are my fav’s. What happens to cause you to move on to a new one? Do you just get bored?

I try to steer away from spacers... yes you gain the same height as with a spring, but the spring you get the added flex, and the spacer, IMO, sacrifices the flex. Also, the spacer may be slightly cheaper, but you have to do the same amount of work for both anyway...

I try to steer away from spacers... yes you gain the same height as with a spring, but the spring you get the added flex, and the spacer, IMO, sacrifices the flex. Also, the spacer may be slightly cheaper, but you have to do the same amount of work for both anyway...
Thank you for sharing. As mentioned, I am not as concerned as many regarding the gain/loss of flex given the trails and beaches I travel, but it makes sense.

Well aware that the work involved for either is about the same. Not to sound pretentious, but the cost isn't significant all things considered.

The big unknown is the ride quality. The debate is ongoing which is the bigger contributor to ride quality.. shocks or springs. I am very happy with the road manners and swapping springs is a big unknown.

The big unknown is the ride quality. The debate is ongoing which is the bigger contributor to ride quality.. shocks or springs. I am very happy with the road manners and swapping springs is a big unknown.

There is no debate really, just noise from people that refuse to understand. Shocks are the bigger contributor.

Reactions: jjvw and pc1p
Thanks. I know I’m splitting hairs. I’m probably just itching to do another mod.

The spacers you linked to after the ones I just put in. I have two sitting in my parts bin. The fronts didn’t really seem to make a difference. A 1” might have done it.

there you go!

That slightly nose up stance!

The second and third are my fav’s. What happens to cause you to move on to a new one? Do you just get bored?

Divorce?

• Haha
Reactions: MikekiM