Yet another TJ randomly stalling thread

97TJ_305

Hey everyone, for the second time my 97 TJ is suffering from the dreaded ghost stalls that come and go at random times.

I've read a lot of threads already on the topic and it seems like I have the variety that is based on an electrical problem or a bad sensor but before I start doing work I wanted to share the symptoms to see if anyone might have other ideas of what to look for.

-While driving the engine loses power. Power steering goes away. Radio, gauges, and A/C blower stay on.
-If I have enough speed and keep it rolling the engine will turn back on in about 10 seconds
-If I am going slow I'll need to come to a stop and restart the ignition and it always turns back on.
-Sometimes the gas gauge will turn off and read empty with the warning light.
-Almost every time the shut off is abrupt but occasionally there is a brief moment of losing power that feels almost like a downshift and then it goes back to normal. Makes me think its a sensor issue.
-I am getting code 12 which says the PCM has been disconnected in the last 50 cycles. I had the PCM disconnected in March so I have most likely done more than 50 cycles since then.

Any ideas? I'm not very knowledgeable about the electrical systems and checking for proper grounding but I can probably learn.

Battery cable connectors don't look too pretty and could be corroded so I do plan to clean them.

Any other advice would be appreciated. And for anyone else with this problem I'll keep the thread updated until I figure out the fix.

Thanks.

Reactions: rasband
98 tj sport 4.0L 120K mi. i was having the same problem a few months ago, replaced all the throttle body sensors and cleaned the throttle body, also replaced the cam posit. sensor. problem solved (not sure which sensor was bad). now my ghost stalling problem is back. check engine light comes on, then later the engine stalls but starts back up. light is gone and no codes on my reader.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ddpinheiro
I just started having the same issue with my 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Randomly stalls when I stop at light. Has happened about four times. Also stalled while driving down the road recently. Was slowing down to make a turn. Always starts up immediately. Wasn't too concerned about stalling at a stop, but while driving down the road is disturbing. Called the service department of the dealership where I bought the vehicle and got someone who didn't seem to know anything at all about Jeeps. Makes me reluctant to take it there for repair as it could become costly if they don't know what the problem is. Only has 44K miles on it. Seems to have been a Jeep problem for several years from what I am reading.

I just started having the same issue with my 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Randomly stalls when I stop at light. Has happened about four times. Also stalled while driving down the road recently. Was slowing down to make a turn. Always starts up immediately. Wasn't too concerned about stalling at a stop, but while driving down the road is disturbing. Called the service department of the dealership where I bought the vehicle and got someone who didn't seem to know anything at all about Jeeps. Makes me reluctant to take it there for repair as it could become costly if they don't know what the problem is. Only has 44K miles on it. Seems to have been a Jeep problem for several years from what I am reading.

I've not heard about it often in the JK line (2007-2018), it may be worth asking on this forum's sister site (https://wranglerjkforum.net/) since the 3.6L in yours is fairly different than our 4.0L (or less common 2.5L).