Yeti Alternative

I am a big fan of the Engel coolers with stainless latches and Engel products in general; they seem to hold ice longer then a lot of other high end coolers too.

The 50QT tall cooler fits great in a TJ and is reasonably priced.

Ive had just cubed ice (no precooling, no block ice, no ice packs) in it for 7 full days in 100 degree insanely humid weather (some days it stayed in the very hot enclosed jeep!) opening it several times a day for drinks and food.

Reactions: ac_
I am a big fan of the Engel coolers with stainless latches and Engel products in general; they seem to hold ice longer then a lot of other high end coolers too.

The 50QT tall cooler fits great in a TJ and is reasonably priced.

Ive had just cubed ice (no precooling, no block ice, no ice packs) in it for 7 full days in 100 degree insanely humid weather (some days it stayed in the very hot enclosed jeep!) opening it several times a day for drinks and food.
Link?

I have a Yeti, it works great. It also weighs a ton and has about 3 square inches of space inside. As a result, in sits in the garage most trips. Unless I'm going somewhere really hot/ no ice is available/ small space is ok, I take a Stanley instead.
https://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/adventure-cooler-30-qt

A 10 lb ice block + good food prep (freeze what you dont need immediately etc) usually means I come back with at least a 3 lb block left after a week trip.

HTH

I have a Dometic on board fridge in the back of my LJ, it is a 50 quart and runs off my battery. It has a low volt auto shut off feature so until I put dual batteries in it will not drain the main battery to the point of leaving me stranded. For the price of a Yeti one could argue that you could find a deal and get a fridge, no ice (ie. more storage room=either a smaller unit or more food/beer), no concerns about everything getting wet from melting ice/leaking ice containers......just my 2 cents......

Reactions: zebra12 and ac_
I have a Dometic on board fridge in the back of my LJ, it is a 50 quart and runs off my battery. It has a low volt auto shut off feature so until I put dual batteries in it will not drain the main battery to the point of leaving me stranded. For the price of a Yeti one could argue that you could find a deal and get a fridge, no ice (ie. more storage room=either a smaller unit or more food/beer), no concerns about everything getting wet from melting ice/leaking ice containers......just my 2 cents......

I keep an electric cooler It isn't awesome in the summer, but all of the other months it is great, I do have dual batteries, so it runs off of the Aux battery for the same reason, but it hasn't killed my battery yet. If I am camping, I have a 2000A gen that I plug it into.

My fridge is pretty efficient, I have the insulating cover on it and it will run for 12+hours without going into "shut off mode". The battery protector it has has three different settings, low will take a battery down to 10.5 volts or so, medium will take it down to 11.7 (this is where I keep it and it is more than enough to start my Jeep), then there is high where it shuts down at 12.2 volts.....

There are a lot of YouTube cooler comparison videos if any of you are interested.

I went with the Yeti soft cooler mainly because our favorite beach spot is a three mile walk and the soft cooler has a shoulder strap.

There is a difference between an electric cooler and a fridge, a fridge typically will drop to lower temps and is more efficient. My Dometic will go down to -8° F

There is a difference between an electric cooler and a fridge, a fridge typically will drop to lower temps and is more efficient. My Dometic will go down to -8° F

Agreed, but an electric cooler is 50 bucks. Although not usable in the summer it works good most of the other seasons. I will probably drop some coin on an electric fridge if I do more summer camping.

I was looking for an electric fridge at some point but they were 800 dollars and getting bad reviews, so I was waiting to find people that bought them and had good luck with them because there is a lot of dying fridges out there. I wouldn't mind dropping the money down on one but it has to be dependable.

I can get a cheap dorm fridge for 60 bucks too but it is not as efficient and is heavy and takes a lot of room but it is 60 bucks!