Yeti Alternative

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the ozark trail coolers from Walmart. I had one of the cups and it was just as good as my yeti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But is it bear proof, more than once I have had to recover a cooler or food canister from somewhere other than where I left it due to some beast playing with them while we were sleeping or out and about.

According to the web site it is bear proof (not sure anything is really bear proof, just bear resistant). But made in the USA and about the same price as Ozark Trail...... wish I would have known about this before I bought my Ozark...... nice find!!

Not interested. I mean, really...what would a Squatch do with a Yeti?

maxresdefault.jpg

I have a 95 quart Pelican brand cooler that I used on a trip and I was amazed how well ice lasted. Haven't used it in 2 years so if anyone needs a huge ass cooler I'd sell it for $300. $500 new.
95QT_Canvas_Studio_2048x2048.png

Reactions: tworley
They all look interesting, but in Arizona, nothing is good for more than a day trip. In the off weather, I can use a plug in cooler, and it works pretty good, but in the summer, I have to use my trailer with a fridge. Although I haven't tried an actual Yeti, I haven't found anything that works for more than a day and finding ice in the woods is hard most days. Besides a dorm fridge is cheaper than a Yeti, if you already have an inverter gen.

Reactions: Squatch
We have an RTIC hard and soft cooler and love them. They are usually at least half the price of a Yeti, sometimes cheaper if they have a sale going on. They run 20% off sales often.

Sent from my Jeep using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: jeepins
I’ve heard nothing but good things about the ozark trail coolers from Walmart. I had one of the cups and it was just as good as my yeti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have one of the Ozark 52qt ones. Use it every day during the summer. Holds ice for DAYS in Georgia.

You’d have to be crazy to spring for a yeti over this one.

I bought the Lifetime cooler in the OP several weeks ago for my Magruder Corridor trip. I also used it last weekend for a weekend getaway. Paid $97 for it at Walmart. Very happy. For the Magruder run I used 3 gallons of frozen water. Pre-chilled it for a couple days with a couple of frozen gallons. Pre-chilled or froze everything that was going in it for the trip. Packed it Wednesday morning just prior to departure and everything was still perfectly chilly 5 days later on Sunday upon returning home and unpacking. Used it again last weekend for a trip to a friend's cabin. Pre-chilled with one frozen gallon the night before. Packed it Friday afternoon with 2 frozen gallons, 18 beers, meats, cheeses, produce, salad dressing, etc. Left it on the porch in the shade at the cabin, but the road trip to/from the cabin was plenty hot in direct sun for a couple hours each way. Last two beers were still very cold when I got home from work yesterday - Tuesday, where its been sitting in an un-airconditioned storage room since Sunday. It's been 100 degrees here the past couple of days.

Definitely works well and is a major upgrade from my years-old collection of Igloos and such. I think it will do the job until I can upgrade to an onboard fridge. It's also lockable with a longer shackled lock to enhance bear-proofing.

Reactions: ac_
They all look interesting, but in Arizona, nothing is good for more than a day trip. In the off weather, I can use a plug in cooler, and it works pretty good, but in the summer, I have to use my trailer with a fridge. Although I haven't tried an actual Yeti, I haven't found anything that works for more than a day and finding ice in the woods is hard most days. Besides a dorm fridge is cheaper than a Yeti, if you already have an inverter gen.

I thought the same thing until I bought a Yeti. It was hard to swallow the price but I'd paid way more over the years for worthless coolers. My yeti will keep ice for a week if it's not in direct sunlight. It'll keep ice for two days easily on the boat in the sun. It's about the best thing I've bought for the outdoors. A friend bought the Pelican and I can attest it is every bit as good as a Yeti, just awkward shaped. Well worth the price. A week at Lake Powell with a cheap cooler and the ice gets as expensive as gas for the boat. The rubber feet are a really nice feature on the Yeti also. It wont slide around at all, only problem is you have to lift it to move it when its loaded.

I thought the same thing until I bought a Yeti. It was hard to swallow the price but I'd paid way more over the years for worthless coolers. My yeti will keep ice for a week if it's not in direct sunlight. It'll keep ice for two days easily on the boat in the sun. It's about the best thing I've bought for the outdoors. A friend bought the Pelican and I can attest it is every bit as good as a Yeti, just awkward shaped. Well worth the price. A week at Lake Powell with a cheap cooler and the ice gets as expensive as gas for the boat. The rubber feet are a really nice feature on the Yeti also. It wont slide around at all, only problem is you have to lift it to move it when its loaded.
Thanks for that. I have never gotten a real review before. I went to an off road event at West World and they were pushing the Grizzlys. They were 1/2 price but still expensive but they swore by them. I didn't buy one. I also watched a video where they cut a Yeti in half and it was pretty impressive. I think my biggest worry is that it is so expensive that now I have to lock it down like my generator or someone will steal it.

I am glad to hear someone with real first hand experience. I am pretty tired of cheap coolers myself. I was honestly looking at the Lifetime one. But I do know it has about half of the insulation that a yeti does, so I am figuring it is probably half as good, but it is less than half the price.

Even if it is awesome it is still hard to justify the price. Maybe I should think about being good for the rest of the year, and see if Santa will bring me one for Christmas?

Reactions: Nimbley
My folks have a pelican--Its worked well for them and will keep ice for 3-4 days sitting under the deck at their cabin and out of the sun.