YJ 4.0 turns over but won't crank

That bent terminal wouldn't happen to coincide with the plug you pulled, would it?
Ok, well, thanks to you guys, she runs like a dream now! The rotor wasn’t seated I guess, or it was defective. I got a new and better one, used the old cap, she fired right up and sounded like a dream. Smooth as silk, glass really. I reckon better than ever. Send me names and addresses and I’ll send you your cut of proceeds!

I learned several important things. Thank you very much!

Now I can get this piece of yard jewelry 💎 off my property.

Jeremy

Ok, well, thanks to you guys, she runs like a dream now! The rotor wasn’t seated I guess, or it was defective. I got a new and better one, used the old cap, she fired right up and sounded like a dream. Smooth as silk, glass really. I reckon better than ever. Send me names and addresses and I’ll send you your cut of proceeds!

I learned several important things. Thank you very much!

Jeremy
Woo-hoo! That makes you the winner!!! 😁

Old cap, as in the one prior to the damaged one, right?
Yes, thanks to you, good catch! I told you, your the master, not just derailer. I’ll see you someday ya know, no matter what. Here’s a big healthy handshake to say thanks. (Even in the midst of the so called crisis 🤣)

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
I put the bumper on her. It came off my TJ. It took some modification, but worked, the YJ frame mounts are about 3/8” wider than the TJ.
D07138AF-89C2-4FFA-BD50-6A2823A3D08D.jpeg
17A703D0-98FA-478E-B44D-A58CCFA005DF.jpeg

I put the bumper on her. It came off my TJ. It took some modification, but worked, the YJ frame mounts are about 3/8” wider than the TJ.
View attachment 162788View attachment 162789
She's a diamond in the rough! (y) I think I'm officially "okay" with the headlights, now. Enough time has passed. These little rigs deserve some respect.

She's a diamond in the rough! (y) I think I'm officially "okay" with the headlights, now. Enough time has passed. These little rigs deserve some respect.
It does drive tougher than a TJ, but absolutely deserve respect. 4.0 and 4LO says it all!

Reactions: Squatch
Hell yeah, you got it! Sometimes it takes an old bearded sage like @Squatch to point out something simple that doesn’t look right while the rest of us are thinking about feedback loops. Great job man, you’ll sleep well tonight for sure!

Reactions: Squatch and JMT
Hell yeah, you got it! Sometimes it takes an old bearded sage like @Squatch to point out something simple that doesn’t look right while the rest of us are thinking about feedback loops. Great job man, you’ll sleep well tonight for sure!
Man, I will sleep good. That was rough for me, frustrating at least. Your help was awesome. It didn’t throw any codes, so that messed with my mind. I wondered about the O2 sensors, still wondering actually, but it runs great. Love that 4.0!

Reactions: Squatch and qslim
Man, I will sleep good. That was rough for me, frustrating at least. Your help was awesome. It didn’t throw any codes, so that messed with my mind. I wondered about the O2 sensors, still wondering actually, but it runs great. Love that 4.0!
Yeah those engines are an interesting point (in my opinion) of engine evolution. I might be partial to that period because that’s when I learned to work on cars, but they represent an incremental step between carb engines and the ones we have now. Kind of a transitional period between tuning by feel with a timing light & dwell meter and using a laptop to read codes & gather data. Either way, every problem is a new opportunity to learn something.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Yeah those engines are an interesting point (in my opinion) of engine evolution. I might be partial to that period because that’s when I learned to work on cars, but they represent an incremental step between carb engines and the ones we have now. Kind of a transitional period between tuning by feel with a timing light & dwell meter and using a laptop to read codes & gather data. Either way, every problem is a new opportunity to learn something.
It's funny to me that the time where you started learning about cars (injected over carbed) is about where I started to struggle. I can still figure things out, but no where near as well as I could back in the day. I love the performance of the newer technology, but it's harder for me to deal with. Fortunately, the internet and YouTube has made me a better hobbyist, sometimes by watching what not to do!

Last edited:
Reactions: qslim