YJ half doors: Do they fit on a TJ

ScottyZ

Hey all! I came across a set of YJ half doors with uppers for cheap. I'm wondering if they will work on my 01 TJ?? Thanks for the help!

Sort of. The doors will fit, uppers will not though. But to make the doors close, you need to change the striker on your TJ to a YJ one, and you need to shorten the door handle on the inside so you're able to open it.

Reactions: ScottyZ
the three mount rods are in different locations. they would need to be cut off and a new set rewelded.

I bought TJ soft lowers and found a used pair of what they told me was TJ uppers but after much searching using the part numbers on the windows I came to the conclusion that they were for a YJ. I did reweld and modify them to work but they don't sit perfect in the front near the A pillar. if it wasn't for the new condition and 50 dollar price I would not do it again

If its the uppers with the rounded edge that look like a TJ door, then dimensionally they will fit. However the latch is different and the latch on the TJ itself would need to be modified.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-yj-half-doors-on-a-tj.3030/

The windshield on a YJ is at a steeper angle than a TJ by about 4* so although it would close you'd have a large wind/rain gap.

If you're using YJ lower hard doors you can modify a set of TJ uppers to fit. It requires that you cut the rear most mounting peg and reposition/reweld it to fit.

These are TJ Bestop soft uppers on YJ hard lowers. The second pic shows the rear mounting peg cut off but I hadn't yet repositioned it and rewelded it to the upper.
14-07-26 011 (800x531).jpg
14-07-26 012 (800x531).jpg

The windshield on a YJ is at a steeper angle than a TJ by about 4* so although it would close you'd have a large wind/rain gap.

If you're using YJ lower hard doors you can modify a set of TJ uppers to fit. It requires that you cut the rear most mounting peg and reposition/reweld it to fit.

These are TJ Bestop soft uppers on YJ hard lowers. The second pic shows the rear mounting peg cut off but I hadn't yet repositioned it and rewelded it to the upper.View attachment 89430View attachment 89431
Where did you get your doors painted?

At a body shop in Bradford on Artesian Industrial Parkway. The company I dealt with closed down and I think there is a CARSTAR shop there now.
All good, I’m the guy that bought the doors from you a few years ago. I remember that you got a good deal on the paint work. I was hoping the body shop was still around. No worries
Thanks