YJ Love Fest

tman66

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'll just go ahead and start with this little gem I came across.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the pleasure of introducing, coming from straight from the late 80's, towed from hell and back:
20170917_170314-X3.jpg

First Jeep was a 92 YJ - Still have a soft spot in my heart for those square headlighted b@stards. Nice find!

Reactions: tman66
Mine was a '95. Rented a car, drove to Dallas, purchased it from Collins Bros. Jeep in Wiley, TX. Drove home the same day.

Really liked that Jeep until I lifted it. Leaf spring lifts are no fun at all.

Mine was a '95. Rented a car, drove to Dallas, purchased it from Collins Bros. Jeep in Wiley, TX. Drove home the same day.

Really liked that Jeep until I lifted it. Leaf spring lifts are no fun at all.

Agreed... After my XJs, I realized how much I hated leaf springs.

I like the YJs a lot and the square headlights have really grown on me. I owned a '93 briefly but flipped it when I decided I couldn't live with the 4 banger engine as a daily driver. I've gone Jeep shopping three other times. Every time I was certain that my budget was going to put me in a YJ and all three times I wound up with a deal on a '97 TJ. I'm some sort of '97 TJ magnet.

An XJ would be so much better if it had coils in the rear. Don't know why they didn't to begin with!

They eventually did...and called it a Grand.

The XJ with coils and leaf springs is a badass combination. I loved toying with the leaves, adding, removing, shimming, dropping, etc to achieve the results I wanted. I think I ended it with 4.5" leaf springs minus the overload with 4 degree shims hanging on boomerange shackles connected to relocation boxes with 45 degree shackle angle that netted 5.5" of lift. It was so smooth back there.

:beer-toast1:

They eventually did...and called it a Grand.

The XJ with coils and leaf springs is a badass combination. I loved toying with the leaves, adding, removing, shimming, dropping, etc to achieve the results I wanted. I think I ended it with 4.5" leaf springs minus the overload with 4 degree shims hanging on boomerange shackles connected to relocation boxes with 45 degree shackle angle that netted 5.5" of lift. It was so smooth back there.

:beer-toast1:

Ahhh, I always struggled to get my XJ smooth in the rear, but I was obviously doing it wrong.

I still have most of my first YJ ;) an '89 that had a twisted tub from the PO having a close encounter with a deer running into the side of the Jeep...swapped the tub over from my second, an '88, that had a rusted frame due to that PO's frequent trips to the shore to drive it on the beach....purchased each one for less than $1000 and combined the good bits of each

may find myself doing something similar this year, with the 2000 TJ Sport I bought last fall for $2000 with a ticking motor...thinking about just putting that new Cummins 2.8 turbo diesel into it, or maybe just a Golen built stroker

Reactions: tman66 and Chris
Oh man I love my YJ’s. Something about the bold square headlights just draws me in. I have a few TJ’s but cant seem to shake the YJ’s I have so much desire for.

A few of mine, the red stock one is my latest addition. The red built one I have posted here a few times its on one tons and streched with custom leafs and wagoneer front springs. The blue one is a college build that is a bit rough around the edges since it was built with a true budget.
4F98A48C-E5FC-4ABF-B56B-9B3B4E09B5C0.jpeg
2CA67710-AE39-4ED7-8143-B37CB543E15D.jpeg
912295EB-D26F-4303-B9C0-9190D4926232.jpeg
82D983AA-6B81-46A6-8A3F-4141AB85233E.jpeg
7C69E348-F4C6-431B-82D5-B85D06902687.jpeg
BD2ACD59-020E-4409-B31A-5FD148D14C38.jpeg