Yoink!

JP13

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
What's the correct way to pull a jeep out of mud without harming it? Tow strap vs elastic, etc?

Either a steady pull from a winch, or a kinetic recovery rope. The kinetic recovery ropes cost a lot more than cheap tow straps, but they also stretch around 30%, giving a smoother pull, and the rebound from the stretch helps get you unstuck. I use an ASR recovery rope, and have pulled guys out of holes where winches failed to get them out. This is the one I have: http://www.asroffroad.com/7-8-kinetic-recovery-rope/

Just NEVER use chains for recovery!!

Reactions: JP13
Yes for sure use an elastic strap which is known variously as a kinetic, recovery, or snatch strap. Tow straps and chains have no give and can often break things when the vehicle is genuinely stuck vs. just needing to be towed. I have noticed that few employees of 4x4 shops know those simple facts so don't expect much or even accurate guidance on all of the store's various straps if you're talking to a store salesman.

You won't be able to see the elasticity of an elastic strap, they don't stretch like a rubber band. Their ability to stretch a little to absorb shock and provide a kinetic boost during the recovery operation is very subtle.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP13 and Stinger
Thanks for the info. That video is hilariously painful to watch! The 2nd pull was great. LMAO!