York OBA Installation with ORO Bracket, A/C, and Durango Alternator

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This is an installation walkthrough of the ORO York bracket on a 2003 TJ 4.0 with AC (and a 160 amp Durango alternator).

The ORO York bracket is an improved version of the old Kilby York bracket. My understanding is that Kilby eliminates the factory belt tensioner and uses the York itself as the serpentine tensioner via slotted mounting bolt holes. This resulted in reports of squealing and uneven belt wear. ORO relocates the factory tensioner to its mount.

This is the kit.
http://offroadonly.com/shop/on-boar...ompressor-bracket-kit-for-jeep-wrangler-tj-2/
compressor_mount_TJNAC-600x337.png

I think I received some of the wrong bolts. More on that later.

The included directions are decent enough and are written in an oddly fun conversational manner.

The bracket with my York compressor and the elusive 6 rib pulley and clutch.
20160804_133055.jpg

This is the factory 4.0, mostly. Several years ago, I installed a Windstar cowl intake. While you need to remove the factory intake for the install, the ORO bracket is supposed to fit with the factory intake. Remove the serpentine belt. Remove the alternator. Keep the long lower bolt. Then remove the belt tensioner. Keep the torx bolt.
20160806_114209.jpg

Remove the alternator mounting bracket. this is not used in the final installation.
20160806_115047.jpg

The empty engine block. The ORO bracket uses the four alternator bolt bosses, as well those two unused bosses further down. Clean those out, if needed.
20160806_115335.jpg

Attach the factory belt tensioner to the ORO bracket.
20160806_120418.jpg

Test fit your alternator. There is very little room to work in the final installation, so you need to understand how the alternator fits in place. If the alternator is not factory, you may need to clearance it.
20160806_120750.jpg

The Durango alternator has an extra mounting arm on the top. This should already be cut off because it blocks the front spark plug. Chances are good that more will need to be filed away to make it fit in the ORO bracket.
20160806_121256.jpg

After a bit of filing.
20160806_121928.jpg

Set the alternator on the motor mount. This makes install a little easier later on.
20160806_124819.jpg

Attach the ORO bracket to the engine block using the old alternator bolt holes and the two bolt holes below. Also attach the added idler pulley.
20160806_134143.jpg

This is where I hit the only notable problem. ORO supplies a pair of standoffs to fill the gap between the bracket and the lower holes on the block. The lower stand off was a nearly 1/32" too long and the bolt was not long enough.
20160806_192612.jpg

Lots of work with a file, a trip to the hardware store for a bolt that is slightly too long, a few washers later and the problem was solved.
20160806_213052.jpg

Mount the York to the top of the ORO bracket. I disconnected the AC lines from the bracket in front of the valve cover to help with access. Once the York is installed, you will need to bend the hard AC lines around to clear the York's suction and discharge ports. This isn't as scary as it sounds. Just go slow and make small adjustments all around until it works.
20160806_141526.jpg

The hardest part is fighting to get the alternator in place. I didn't take pictures, but I found that I had to remove the York pulley in order to get decent access to the top bolt of the alternator. ORO supplies a big hex cap bolt for this. I used a hex socket, rather than a allen wrench. Reuse the factory long lower bolt. Connect the battery cable.

Re-route the new longer serpentine belt according to the supplied diagram. Close your eyes and start the engine.
20160806_153028.jpg

The bracket install took me about 3-4 hours. It isn't particularly difficult. Just tedious at times. Except for the bolt and standoff issue, the bracket and its design appear to be very good. Driving around town, I can't tell anything new was added to the engine.

Now to figure out the plumbing.

There are probably a dozen different ways to plumb the air lines for a York. I wanted to use the empty space behind the compressor and keep it as tidy as I knew how.

I used a 7 port manifold block. Four 1/4" holes along the top and three 3/8" holes on either end and the bottom. To cool the compressed air before it gets to the manifold, I found a small power steering cooling line from a salvage yard 2001 Grand Cherokee. Then I welded together a bracket to attach everything

20160814_180821.jpg

The manifold holds an quick connect, 90-115psi pressure switch, solenoid valve for the air bags, and a 160psi pressure release valve. along with small air lines for the air bag and line pressure gauges in the cab.
20160814_180850.jpg

20160814_180940.jpg

The bracket attached to the side of the York. Pictures are difficult because of all the stuff in the way.
20160814_182333.jpg

An oil/water separator is placed between the cooling line and the manifold. An unloading check valve is added between the compressor and the cooling line. This will keep the system pressurized while releasing pressure from the compressor when not in use. This may not be necessary, but I have been accused of overthinking things.
wink.gif

20160825_104907.jpg

Now I need to make the intake. These compressors reportedly have a tendency to run hot. I have a Windstar cold air intake, so why not make use of it.

The new threaded fitting on the intake is made from the bottom of a pop up sprinkler head with a 90* elbow. This is held on to the intake tube with epoxy.
20160809_175529.jpg

20160809_180407.jpg

20160809_185519.jpg

This is located upstream from the crankcase vent tube so as to not suck in gases from the engine. Again, I may be overthinking.

To reenforce the new fitting, I sleeved it through the intake tube with a thin walled brass tube with a flared end. This is also epoxied in place.
20160823_191748.jpg

20160823_192809.jpg

Here is the final assembly with the York drawing cold air from the cowl.
20160825_104921.jpg

No air tank. So far I do not see how I would benefit from one. A small tank empties almost immediately,. Once that happens, you are running off of the the compressor anyway. So what is the point?

Eventually, I do want put air quick connects on the bumpers, so that I won't need to open the hood to air up. People always asking me if I need help while I wait toI air up gets old :) . On the rear, this is actually more elegant to build if I use the bumper as a tank as I had originally planned. Though the bumper is really just a big bracket that also happens to be an air tank.

My Viair 88P, from setup to take down would take about 20 minutes to fill all four tires from 10psi to 26psi. The York takes less than 6 minutes.

Last edited:
This is the external quick connect.
20160912_181955.jpg

I ran a leader hose from the manifold to an NPT tapped hole the bumper. The quick connect is also threaded directly into the bumper. As mentioned above, the bumper is nothing more than a clean mount. This did give me a 1.5 gallon tank, but as stated above, it takes only a couple seconds to drain before the compressor fires up. The "tank" in and of itself has no value.

Really great write up!! Well done. Where did you get the ac pulley/clutch? Got a part number?

Thanks!!

Sorry to bring up this thread but i have a few questions since im gonna be doing this soon.
1. Do you have any problem with the compressor spewing out oil since you have the oil/water separator

2. What was the point of the power steering cooler if it pulls cold air from the windstar, i have one as well so im curious if the cooler is needed

Sorry to bring up this thread but i have a few questions since im gonna be doing this soon.
1. Do you have any problem with the compressor spewing out oil since you have the oil/water separator

2. What was the point of the power steering cooler if it pulls cold air from the windstar, i have one as well so im curious if the cooler is needed

1. The York only spews oil if it is over filled. Once it gets to the level where it wants to be, the amount of oil loss decreases significantly.

2. Compressed air heats up for the opposite reason expanding air gets cold.

The cooler is placed on the outlet side of the compressor. Next time you can get next to a shop air compressor that has run for a bit, grab a hold of the copper pipe that runs into the tank. You'll really burn your hand.

Occasionally, you'll read about York installs where the rubber plumbing melts if it is too close to the pump. That is why I added the small cooler. There is a big temperature difference going into vs exiting the cooler. I don't know if it is needed for mine, but I thought it would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: D M and Alex01
1. The York only spews oil if it is over filled. Once it gets to the level where it wants to be, the amount of oil loss decreases significantly.

2. Compressed air heats up for the opposite reason expanding air gets cold.

The cooler is placed on the outlet side of the compressor. Next time you can get next to a shop air compressor that has run for a bit, grab a hold of the copper pipe that runs into the tank. You'll really burn your hand.

Occasionally, you'll read about York installs where the rubber plumbing melts if it is too close to the pump. That is why I added the small cooler. There is a big temperature difference going into vs exiting the cooler. I don't know if it is needed for mine, but I thought it would be a good idea.
Thanks for that, if i remember correctly the oil amount is between 6-8 oz ? and if I plug the small hole it should stop the spewing
correct? And lastly what type of oil does this take, Thanks.

IMG_0539.jpg

6-8oz sounds correct.

Plug that hole and the one in the well on the other side. Some of these are already plugged from the factory.

Mine has whatever engine oil I use.

Reactions: D M
6-8oz sounds correct.

Plug that hole and the one in the well on the other side. Some of these are already plugged from the factory.

Mine has whatever engine oil I use.
Mine doesnt have any holes in the other well, just this one here so I think its safe to assume this one is the only one. Lastly, does it stop the spewing completely?

Mine doesnt have any holes in the other well, just this one here so I think its safe to assume this one is the only one. Lastly, does it stop the spewing completely?

The oil loss is reduced. You still need to check the level occasionally.

Reactions: D M
Since this thread was instrumental for me when I sought out the right OBA system for my LJ, I thought I'd give back a little to the forum. On my 2005 LJ, I have this factory Belt Routing decal, which is now incorrect, stuck to the top of the OEM radiator:

oem-belt-routing-decal-jpg.432191

I drew up this modified version in AutoCAD for the Belt Routing with the ORO kit in place:

oro-oba-belt-routing-decal-jpg.jpg

Initially, I printed this on waterproof paper, and stuck it on my LJ. However, that waterproof paper wasn't nearly durable enough, so I found an online outfit that will print vinyl decals for you. The minimum order was one sheet, which worked out to 15 decals:

Belt Labels.jpg

As you can see, I used one, and I'm going to keep a couple spares, but the remaining dozen stickers are free to forum users who want them. I'd like them all to get put to good use! I'll just stuff one in a stamped first class envelope to you - no charge. If you want one, keep in mind that it is specific to the 4.0L with factory A/C (2000-2006 only, I think) and the ORO York bracket for compressor location. If you have this configuration (with the A/C compressor on the driver side bottom) and want one, send me a message through the forum with your address, and I'll get one out to you, until they're gone.

Last edited:
How does this compare to say an ARB twin? $1+k for onboard air is spendy but I'm tired of the slow tire fills with cheap compressors. Not interested in cO2 for inconvenience of filling. I'm looking at this ORO setup or ARB twin.

How does this compare to say an ARB twin? $1+k for onboard air is spendy but I'm tired of the slow tire fills with cheap compressors. Not interested in cO2 for inconvenience of filling. I'm looking at this ORO setup or ARB twin.

York compressor is king. ARB is a far second. ARB is rated at 6.2CFM, while the York is 8+ CFM (8CFM at idle and up to 12CFM with increase in engine RPMs). This means, you can run air tools with the York. I've seen people also do it with the ARB twin but they needed an air tank. York is easier to service and very heavy duty. One of the positives the ARB has over the York is; all you need is a charged battery, while the York needs a running engine. Broken engine, useless York.

Reactions: Danarch

As much as I like my York, I wouldn't bother installing another one again.