Your opinion: how much is this Jeep worth?

SRB

My dad's 2003 Jeep has 3" lift, 33" tires, rack on top and needs new front/rear brakes and has some rust issues underneath and on small parts of body from Michigan winters. Unfortunately, he just passed away and we need to sell it. I have no idea how to estimate value on it. I realize no one can see it, but knowing details I shared, what's your opinion on where I start? (to be clear, not trying to sell on here, just want to learn a ballpark.)

Jeep Pic.jpg

What does the frame / underside look like?

I see lots of rust under the paint on the passenger side quarter panel. If the rest of the vehicle has rust like that, I would say it's not worth much at all.

What does the frame / underside look like?

I see lots of rust under the paint on the passenger side quarter panel. If the rest of the vehicle has rust like that, I would say it's not worth much at all.
Thanks Chris, assuming there is quite a bit of rust underneath, does not much mean like $1000 ish or more like, maybe someone will take it for free for parts.

If there isn't much, what would you guess?

I need to look at it more closely next time I'm near it.

www.kbb.com Input the TJ's information in to the tool.

Where in Ohio? I'm in the market for a father-son Jeep project, and ain't scared of rust.

Thanks Chris, assuming there is quite a bit of rust underneath, does not much mean like $1000 ish or more like, maybe someone will take it for free for parts.

If there isn't much, what would you guess?

I need to look at it more closely next time I'm near it.

If the rust is frame rot (which often times it is), you're looking at a solid 5-7k to replace the frame (which includes labor) with a rust free frame. The body clearly has a lot of rust on it as well, which means those sections of the body need to be cut out and have new panels welded in place of them, then painted.

You could very easily eclipse 10k worth of rust repairs here (assuming someone is doing the work for you), at which point the car becomes worthless to an educated buyer. At that point the only person who would buy it is someone who was getting it for so cheap that it would be a "project" for them, or someone who wants to part it out.

Again, I'd have to see the frame, but I can tell from seeing that side shot, that the tub itself clearly has some very, very bad rust lurking under there.

So assuming the frame is rotted and the tub has lots of rust issues, someone might pay $1000 for it, but I suspect you could get a bit more, perhaps 2-3k, as someone might be able to make 5-6k in parts (depending).

Reactions: billiebob and mots
Welcome from Ohio. Sorry to hear about your Dad. Post some good pics of various parts of the frame and the rest of the body.

Here is your range:

In pristine condition, no rust, no mechanical issues, under or around 100k miles, you could get 10-12k for it around here. If there is excessive mileage, the price goes down a bit, but not too much if it is pristine. With a salvage title, the cost goes down even more than high mileage, even if the Jeep is pristine. That said, this is obviously not your situation from the first pic and what you have stated.

Next, if the frame and tub is shot, then it goes down to 3-4k and maybe less, if someone is willing to take it and wants what you have left. Best to part out most likely, or just cut your losses if you just want to get rid of it.

If the frame is good, mechanics are good, and the tub is shot (not common in MI and OH), then maybe 5-6k. Some that have "Safety Caps" on the frame might fall into this category, but most savvy buyers will still avoid this like the plague. However, someone looking for a TJ to wheel without much money or wanting a project might take you up on it.

When I was looking about 2 years ago, there were so many rusty TJ's around here still asking 7-10k, it was crazy. I'm sure they don't get near that $ in most cases, if someone actually crawls underneath and looks closer at the frame and all of the tub. But, many rookie buyers out there don't know what they are doing.

You just need to figure out the true condition of the frame, the body and where you sit in comparison to what is out there.

Reactions: taylormade73
Start at $8500 and let someone negotiate down depending on rust/other issues. Don’t give the thing away, minus the rust on the panel, it looks well cared for.
Obviously the under carriage is in question, but start at $8500 and let someone else figure what it’s worth to them. If you don’t get any calls, drop it $500 and see what happens.

My dad's 2003 Jeep has 3" lift, 33" tires, rack on top and needs new front/rear brakes and has some rust issues underneath and on small parts of body from Michigan winters. Unfortunately, he just passed away and we need to sell it. I have no idea how to estimate value on it. I realize no one can see it, but knowing details I shared, what's your opinion on where I start? (to be clear, not trying to sell on here, just want to learn a ballpark.)

View attachment 110714
It would be to your advantage to educate yourself on what you have, there. For instance, if the rear axle is a Dana 44, that right there is $800 to $1,000 fairly easily. Those full doors have value, as well. $500 would be a reasonable price, I would think. How's the interior? Like I said, you'd benefit from educating yourself before trying to market the thing. This forum can give you that education, to be sure. And by the way, truly sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I hope you and yours are finding some peace...

Thanks for the insights guys, I appreciate it. I took a few pics. Here is what the underside looks like.

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

She's pretty ugly underneath, what with the rust that can easily be seen. That likely means there's even more hiding away inside the frame. Interior looks to be fairly clean. Big bonus is that the rear axle is a Dana 44, which is the one folks want. Also, it's a disc break rear axle. (y)

Unfortunately, the rust is really bad. I would feel bad selling it to someone who was a first time Jeep buyer. Someone who was looking at it for the body/interior would be my ideal customer.

Reactions: Squatch
For where its at I have seen much much worse for sale in your area. I think the frame looks decent for being through MI winters. It does look like it has been sitting for a while and the suspension components are rusty but they are easily replaceable. You have to keep in mind on this forum you have people from all across the country that don't deal with rust and are not used to seeing it on a vehicle. I wish this was for sale when I was looking for an off road vehicle. It would be a great jeep for someone looking to do some work and make it their own, which is a large portion of the TJ market.

However if you do get talked into parting it out, I am local and would buy some parts! Please PM me.

Thanks for the insights guys, I appreciate it. I took a few pics. Here is what the underside looks like.

Rust aside, another pressing issue that you might already know about is having the executor of estate handle the Jeep's title work and getting proof for release of lien. Having this prepared will facilitate a more efficient sale.

When you/your family is ready to sell the Jeep, please post the ad in this form as a courtesy to the board and membership so that the Jeep will land in a good home.

I'd throw up an Ad on here with a "best offer, pickup only". Disclose that it has a lot of frame rust and some body rust with the pics you have provided. No price other than perhaps the absolute lowest offer you would accept, like Ebay allows. Then, see what interest you have and what it might be worth to folks. Also, decide on a time period (2 weeks perhaps) that you will accept the best offer and go with it. Parting out will be PITA if it isn't something you normally deal with (pulling axles or expecting someone else to in your driveway etc.), however it still could be your best bet.

Last edited:
Why don't you take it over? We'll hook you up on how to make it better. If you can get $6500 you're doing good. Pretty bad rust problem you got there. Hope your buyer doesn't know about this site! Good luck