Your P0344 success story and what you did

muletownlj

Supporting Member
Hey everyone

For those of us dealing with a P0344 it may be helpful to hear from folks that had it and managed to get it cleared for good for a couple reasons.

1. Gives us hope we don’t have a lemon
2. Gives us a road map of what to do.

My plan is swap the OPDA (at a mechanic now).
1. Confirm crown parts were used
2. Confirm a sync was done in the DRBIII - I’m hoping they do this. I know they can just am not sure they know they ought to. But I wouldn’t pick it up if they haven’t.
3. If not above rent a DRBIII and see if I can do the sync myself.
4. Drive it and see- if a light comes back in for 0344 swap first the the sensor I bought off the parted out jeep. If that throws a code try the NAPA sensor fromEchlin thats gotten some good press.
5. if this doesn't work take to Tennessee Offroad to a guy that specializes in TJs.

Make sure your mechanic re-uses the OEM Mopar cam position sensor when installing the OPDA kit, the Crown cam position does not work as well and can cause problems.

Hey everyone

For those of us dealing with a P0344 it may be helpful to hear from folks that had it and managed to get it cleared for good for a couple reasons.

1. Gives us hope we don’t have a lemon
2. Gives us a road map of what to do.

My plan is swap the OPDA (at a mechanic now).
1. Confirm crown parts were used
2. Confirm a sync was done in the DRBIII - I’m hoping they do this. I know they can just am not sure they know they ought to. But I wouldn’t pick it up if they haven’t.
3. If not above rent a DRBIII and see if I can do the sync myself.
4. Drive it and see- if a light comes back in for 0344 swap first the the sensor I bought off the parted out jeep. If that throws a code try the NAPA sensor fromEchlin thats gotten some good press.
5. if this doesn't work take to Tennessee Offroad to a guy that specializes in TJs.

6. Hemi swap

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I pulled my OEM OPDA at 115k due to failed cam sensor.

Replaced OPDA with Dorman OPDA and sensor.

At 255K now and no issues with the OPDA or sensor.

Reactions: muletownlj
Make sure your mechanic re-uses the OEM Mopar cam position sensor when installing the OPDA kit, the Crown cam position does not work as well and can cause problems.

I’ll try but with the P0344 code they want to change the sensor. I will have them keep it and I have a sensor out of a part out vehicle that I can use. I also have a NAPA sensor.