Your Worst Jeep Story

Cisco Kid

Been around the block...twice!
Supporting Member
Back when,maybe 10 years ago Wife and I were on a trip to west Texas in my stock YJ. We were on the Rio Grande many miles South of Interstate 10 passing the Indian Hot springs resort. We had been in 4WD for 35 miles.and many hours. At the Springs we headed South on a ranch road that is not maintained. In about 10 miles I fell off in some washouts and Hi centered the YJ. I had a bottle jack and a shovel stuck in the front bumper tube. Go out and surveyed the mess, went to grab the shovel and fell and split my palm on the shovel edge. Got out the Ice and whiskey and doctored the slice and it needed stitches so I got drunk and sit looking at the Jeep while wifey fixed a sandwich.
Got out the bottle jack and jacked the front axle up in the center and then pushed the jeep sideways and it moved about 5 inches before it fell over. Took about an hour and a half to move it over to get the tires hit level ground.
Backed that bastard out of the ruts and turned he rig around and started back to I-10. Went 45 miles in 4WD and finely hit the Interstate. Nearest Hospital was in Van Horn 60 or so miles. Got to the hospital and the Doctor was from Ft Bliss in El Paso and was a hard Military type. Said I should have gotten to the hospital in the critical Hour after the injury. Blah Blah. So he is stitching up my hand my wife was on looking and told the Doc that I needed a stitch here and there and the Doc Agreed and he let her put the stitches in, so she is still asking me when injured if she can stitch it up, actually being a Dr. in her own right Dr. Mom
Next trip I had a winch, Hi Lift and an Aussie locker.
Believe it or not it was a great off road adventure. My hand got well after a few weeks

B.I.L. and I headed out to the High Country in his CJ5 on a fine spring day. Got up into the snow, locked the hubs in and had a grand old time tooling around the mountains. Along about 2:00 in the afternoon, we decided to head back. We started across a meadow that we crossed ealier that morning, in our previous tracks, and fell through the crust that had gotten all nice and warm in the sun. Buried to the body, out in the middle of a nice big meadow, with the sun going down. We didn't get out until it froze up again about 3-4:00 in the morning. That was a cold night out. Learned a few things that night.

Took the TJ some years back to Ouray, CO for the week between Christmas and New Years. Wife and daughter along, planned to hit the slopes of Telluride next day for some fun on the ski slopes. Instead, got a kidney stone that hurt like the devil, and my wife had to drive me in the TJ to Montrose Hospital. They couldn't really give me any treatment, but with the morphine they gave me for the pain, the trip got a lot more fun from that time forward. Even got in a day of skiing after all. Memorable Jeep trip.

Reactions: Kathy and Cisco Kid
One time when I was young and stupid (about 20 years old) I was selling one of my many XJs. Some girl called me and asked if she could do payment plans on it and I mistakenly (remember I was young and stupid) said yes.

I gave her the car and kept the title, she gave me $500 and said she would pay me in monthly installments. About 2 days after doing this deal I realized how stupid I was for agreeing to this. I kept calling her to tell her the deal was off and I needed to get the keys to the car and come pick it up. She avoided me at all costs, telling me she wasn't home and was out with the car. This went on for a few days before I finally staked her place out. She came home, parked the vehicle, and I got out, took the spare keys, got in it and left.

My phone was blowing up with all sorts of bullshit, but I never spoke to her again. Anyways, no idea why I was this stupid. I'd never in a million years do something like that these days.

In my pre-LJ days the family and I were camping up in Silverton, CO with a '98 XJ with a 4" lift and 31's. We had hit Black Bear Pass, Imogene and a few others, lots of fun. On the last day my daughter and I decided to tackle Poughkeepsie Gulch while my wife packed up the campsite (don't beat me up, she likes to pack!). Started up the trail past the sign that says "winch and lockers recommended" - we had open diffs and stock gearing (close enough, right?), so we pressed on. Made it up to "The Wall" with no issues. All the bypasses were closed off, so it was either turn around and go home or give it a shot. My daughter got out to video the attempt and spot for me (Note: multitasking is great, but not on the trail...). Almost made it up the first try, hit some soft dirt and started spinning wheels at opposite corners. Back up and try it again, same result. Only thing left to try - back up some more and gun it. Success! Came up the wall so fast I was only marginally in control, bounced off a rut and headed straight for Jeep Girl Jr. She decides to quit shooting video and dives out of the way into a bush as I come over the top with the front wheels about 5 feet in the air, probably within about 10 degrees of flipping it over backwards. Bounce to a stop at the top, YEAH, BABY, I DID IT!!! That's when I noticed the steam rising from the hood and grille. I had bounced it hard enough to drive the fan into the radiator (actually it was only a nick, but...).
DSCF1324[1].JPG

A guy who had been sitting at the top watching walks over to his TJ, pulls out a bottle of Stop-Leak and hands it to me without a word. I pour it into the radiator and fill it up with some water we were carrying and we head back to the campsite (Um, we're not going to tell Mom about this, are we?), but not before doing a poser shot at the end of the trail.
DSCF1328[1].JPG

Managed to drive all the way home to Albuquerque without blowing up the radiator, replaced it a few days later. After I bought my LJ I gave the XJ to Jeep Girl Jr. but I made it clear that I was never going to spot for her...

Last edited:
On a job out of town in Virginia, flying back to Atlanta on December 23rd scheduled to leave Dulles Airport at 5:40 pm, get to the airport plenty early, flight is delayed as are the 2 prior flights due to icy conditions in Atlanta. Wait around for a couple of hours, then the folks on the next flight begin to arrive, so there are now over 600 people wanting to get to Atlanta. Time drags on, then at 10:00 pm all the bars and restaurants close for the day. The planes finally start arriving around 11:30 pm and I land in Atlanta about 1:30 am. My 91 Wrangler is parked in one of the off airport lots, cheepo me did not pay the extra for covered parking, it is coated in a quarter in of ice. Then I discover my clutch master cylinder has a leak and I have no clutch. It was 26 miles to home, stopped in every gas station/convenience store that was open, no fluid to be found. Fun ride home with the icy roads, popping into neutral and killing the engine at every stop, crank back up in first gear to get going again, luckily shifting without a clutch is easy but it was compounded by the slick conditions. Made it home about 3:00 am. Thankfully had a nice long Christmas holiday ahead of me.

I was driving a buddy's YJ once at a party...I wasn't drinking as the party was a 45 minute ride from home, but everyone else was. He has a few acres with a couple of good sized hills on it, some swamp/mud and its in the woods. Nice place for a test and tune trail. Anyway, I ended up being the "driver" for a bunch of people who don't have the opportunity to wheel much. The YJ was set up pretty decent, 32's, lunchbox up front, 4.0L, etc. I got egged on until I agreed to run the "big hill." Its a fairly steep climb, that has gotten rutted with repeated use. Its also nearly a 90Degree tight turn into the hill, so no running speed.

This was a halloween party, so think autumn...wet leaves on the ground, traction is not great and its night in the woods, with no moon. Its DARK. I didn't make it up the hill. Not a big deal...happens all the time. So I tried backing down...and the brakes lock up on the leaves. Now, I'm sliding down the hill, out of control. Catch a rut, and the Jeep starts going sideways. Gulp...

Thankfully, the tires grabbed and I got her stopped before we turned over. BUT we were nearly sideways on the hill. I don't know if I lifted my front passenger tire (the uphill one), but it felt tenuous enough that I told everyone not to move (4 souls on board). Thankfully, I had a radio, so I was able to call someone back with a strap to tie the front end off to a anchor tree. Got her straightened out and up the hill no problem after that, but it was as close as I've ever been to flopping and as scared as I've ever been in a vehicle.

Hell yeah, anything with dirt, rocks, mud or Mall parking bumpers. Go for it
Well my senior year of high school I had a weird car 2007 Pontiac G6, it was my third car, paid cash for it and loved the crap out of that sedan. Being the highschooler I was I think I could do anything. So one night I took my girlfriend of the time out on some dirt road on Eglin Air Force Base. We found some dunes by some power lines so i did was any kid my age would do and proceeded to practice my wicked drifting and donut skills. I ended up poping up my right front wheel and high centered my G6 (I later found out it trashed this rim and bent the crap out of it). Being as I never really got stuck before I just proceeded to floor it until the tires were completely spinning and weren’t touching. Tried pushing the car, nothing. Called a bunch of friends to come get me out but no one was awake. The time hit 1am and I finally called my dad who was PC at the time at 6th RTB. He came over and picked up my girlfriend to take her home and handed me a shovel and said: “goodluck”. I dug for 40 minutes straight and he came back with some planks. We still couldn’t use the planks to get the vehicle off the bank. He proceeded to call a tow truck so I stopped. As soon as he finished his phone call he looked at me and said: don’t stop digging. I was like: “why its not helping”. He proceeded to say: “ I don’t care if its not helping keep digging”. I dug an unbelievably deep hole by the time the tow truck got there. Tow truck got the vehicle onto the road and cracked part of the bumper yanking it off the bank. Needless to say I sold the g6 7 months later and bought a brand new Kawasaki Ninja. I drove that thing rain or shine for my entire first year at college. You could say with a lot of things, I have to learn the hard way.

Well my senior year of high school I had a weird car 2007 Pontiac G6, it was my third car, paid cash for it and loved the crap out of that sedan. Being the highschooler I was I think I could do anything. So one night I took my girlfriend of the time out on some dirt road on Eglin Air Force Base. We found some dunes by some power lines so i did was any kid my age would do and proceeded to practice my wicked drifting and donut skills. I ended up poping up my right front wheel and high centered my G6 (I later found out it trashed this rim and bent the crap out of it). Being as I never really got stuck before I just proceeded to floor it until the tires were completely spinning and weren’t touching. Tried pushing the car, nothing. Called a bunch of friends to come get me out but no one was awake. The time hit 1am and I finally called my dad who was PC at the time at 6th RTB. He came over and picked up my girlfriend to take her home and handed me a shovel and said: “goodluck”. I dug for 40 minutes straight and he came back with some planks. We still couldn’t use the planks to get the vehicle off the bank. He proceeded to call a tow truck so I stopped. As soon as he finished his phone call he looked at me and said: don’t stop digging. I was like: “why its not helping”. He proceeded to say: “ I don’t care if its not helping keep digging”. I dug an unbelievably deep hole by the time the tow truck got there. Tow truck got the vehicle onto the road and cracked part of the bumper yanking it off the bank. Needless to say I sold the g6 7 months later and bought a brand new Kawasaki Ninja. I drove that thing rain or shine for my entire first year at college. You could say with a lot of things, I have to learn the hard way.

That's honestly, an absolutely great story! Made me laugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Junior year of high school. Halloween day. School finally ended that day, my girlfriend and me proceeded to go to my house to meet up with our buddies for our Halloween party. We had a little extra time before the party started, so on the way there, we took my Jeep into the green belt for a little 5 minute wheeling trip - turned into about an hour long fiasco.

Wanted to show off my Jeep with its new 33's and 2" lift. Took it through a muddy creek and sank pretty quickly. Floored it in forward and reverse until I couldn't be any stucker.

Girlfriend and me wore our costumes to school that day; mine was a rental, she owned hers, so she insisted that she shovel our way out of the mud since I had to eventually return mine. Plus you can't ever say "no" to a woman.

She dug up a dry enough patch behind my Jeep so that we could reverse out of there.

Our friends gave me so much shit for not digging my Jeep out myself. It was terrible. :D

Never again will I go near mud without a winch.
d819ecbc11e2b1754abbae375c57ba4f.jpg

Back in college (early '70s) I did part time contract snow plowing in a '69 CJ5 with a Meyers 6' plow. It was usually a lot of fun even with the number of late nights I worked. One day late in the season I had to plow a car dealership parking lot my Dad had a contract with. It must have been 65* that day and the snow was melting fast. Because it was one of the last days of the contract the dealership demanded we plow the lot. They wanted their monies worth. We did a lot of summer work for that dealership so my Dad said "humour them". It wasn't a bad Jeep day but it was pretty stupid as I literally pushed water around for about 3 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tj04
<<< That 2006 LJ Rubicon in the avatar had to be sold to keep me afloat while I was supporting my dying girlfriend suffering from systemic cancer.

My senior year of High School a buddy of mine, Nick, had a 1969 Jeepster, and a 1970 Gremlin. On New Year's Eve in 1978 to 79, we had a few drinks. By a few I mean 3. The first was glass of about 50 percent vodka, 50 percent OJ. Second was 75 to 25, the third was about 90 to 10. I spent the rest of the night hugging the porcelain throne. About 11 PM, they took me home, opened my door and pushed me into the living room. I looked at my dad, who was in total shock, said Happy New Year, then hit the floor and passed out. Anyway, about 2 pm the next day, my mom was banging on my bedroom door saying Nick was at the door. I felt like I had been hit by a truck and wanted him to go away. Well, he wouldn't, so I went to the door and he was all excited. He told me to open my garage, which was unattached in the back and kind of my man cave since no one used it. In the drive were both vehicles and I asked what this was all about. He said, "You don't remember?" Then it kind of came back to me. We were joking around about putting the Gremlin body on the Jeepster frame. Well, I guess after I left, Nick and his brother keep the conversation going, and took some measurements. Turns out they shared the same wheel base.

For the next 4 months we entered what would be the equivalence of "Monster Garage" on a shoestring budget. The Jeepster was in bad shape due to rust. We literally peeled the body off the frame with crow bars, as the body was really rotten, and none of the bolts even resembled bolts. We disconnected everything underneath the uni-body of the Gremlin, pulled the engine and then proceeded to put it on the Jeepster frame. This is where we realized how stupid we were. The Jeepster frame is pretty much straight and level. The uni-body frame looked like a hairpin with the front way lower than the back. But, before we could even set it down we had another problem. The firewall hit the top of the engine, right about where the carburetor is. So first thing we did was cut out the firewall so it would fit. When we got it on the frame, the front of the Gremlin body was about 18" higher than the back. It we also noticed the steering wheel on the Gremlin met a steering box that was just behind the radiator. The Jeepster steering box was closer to the firewall. We also noticed the back of the Jeepster frame shot out about 3' behind the Gremlin bumper.

So the first problem to fix was getting the Gremlin body level. We picked up an 8' I-beam from a scrap yard for about $75. That was a lot of money in 1979. So we got to cut it into (2) 4' sections. I think we went through 5 metal cutting skilsaw blades before we got through it. Then we had to drill holes in it to mate to the Jeepster frame and the uni-body frame in the center. That too was a nightmare. Went through quite a few drill bits. But, it worked and we got the uni-body and frame mated. Of course now we had to deal with other issues. Due to the engine being so far back, we had a 3' gap between the Gremlin radiator, and the front of the engine. We couldn't use the Jeepster radiator because it was too high for the hood. We had the same problem with the air cleaner, but were able to find a flatter one to allow us to close the hood. We fabricated brackets and moved the Gremlin radiator closer to the engine. We then put diamond plate down, so you could actually stand in the engine compartment to work on the engine.

The 2 frames plus the I-beam created a frame that was about 2' tall and looked really terrible. Nick solved that problem by putting chrome side pipes in the I-beams which broke it up, and it looked really good. Of course it took some work to reroute the exhaust, but it was pretty radical when done. The steering box issue involved moving the Gremlin steering column to a more vertical angle, which meant it also had to be shortened. So we built a bracket out of box steel, welded it together, cut and welded the steering column and re-angled it to mate with the Jeepster steering box. It looked like a bus steering wheel when done. We build a box to contain the engine where the firewall was cut out. It was carpeted and it didn't look horrible, but it was kind of like being in a Hummer with a shelf between the seats.

The frame sticking out of the back let to a lot of creative discussions, like putting a tool box on it, or diamond plating it like the engine compartment. In the end Nick's brother disassembled the leaf springs, shortened them, reassembled them, cut the frame and shortened it. We then put 2 X 8 wooden bumpers on the frame, since the state of Indiana had bumper height laws, and the Gremlin bumpers were way too high. A friend of ours started calling it "The Greep" and the name stuck. We routed the name into the wood, stained them and varnished them. We put bigger wheels and tires on it. We painted the car black with gold accents and it did look incredible. But that first test drive was a nightmare. It was so high off the ground we had a hard time getting in. We used a little step ladder we threw in the back. The steering column would shake like crazy, so we had to redo it a few times before we got it to where it would stay still. The Greep had a really high center of Gravity so off-roading probably wasn't the best thing to do with it, but we did. Changing the air filter was a nightmare because of the firewall being right on top of it. So was adjusting the carb. There was a lot of effort that went into getting everything working again. Nick and I lived on No-Doze caffeine pills for 4 months as we literally slept 2-3 hours a night during this whole ordeal. That 4WD Gremlin was a local legend for a while.

That Summer Nick went to automotive school and I went into the Air Force. He sold the Greep to a guy in Colorado, and I heard it was in a 4WD magazine. I had one picture of it, but loaned it to Nick when I was on leave and I've never seen it since. Oh, and I died laughing when Bigfoot laid claim to being the first monster truck ever. He's obviously never seen the Greep! Now I think they've recanted and claim to be the first monster truck to crush cars. In the end, would we have done it knowing what we know now? I don't think so! I spent my senior year of high school basically working on a jeep full time.

Last edited: