Your Worst Jeep Story

Great Project and story
Was it something akin to this

131_1202_15+readers_rides+1973_amc_gremlin_body_on_jeep_cj_5.jpeg

Reactions: StG58 and WillM
Go Topless 3 years ago we had parked on the water side of the drag strip. 7 hours and a few cocktails later, we did not notice the tide had come in. Burying my 31's about halfway. Being a SE, she didn't half enough power to break the suction. Here's the worst part, I had to be winched out by a really ugly JK. Very embarrassing but did not ruin our great weekend.

Whoah. Is this a recent event?

No. This October 12th will be 7 years. Nothing like watching the woman you love taking her last breath in your living room. Something you will never forget and I wouldn't have missed for the world. But that isn't the Jeep story. Just part of the reason there is a story. Otherwise I would still have it I'm sure. :) Back to our regular scheduled programming.

No. This October 12th will be 7 years. Nothing like watching the woman you love taking her last breath in your living room. Something you will never forget and I wouldn't have missed for the world. But that isn't the Jeep story. Just part of the reason there is a story. Otherwise I would still have it I'm sure. :) Back to our regular scheduled programming.
Fuck man that's absolutely awful. I can't imagine something worse than that, and it is a regular thing I think about . I don't know that I'd ever recover from that. Truly sorry. :(

I was going to write a story about leaving the winch controller in the house and being stuck in a mud pit but it just don't seem right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle_W

Pardon me, as I imagine you don't like to dwell on the subject, but my condolences to you, sir. I couldn't imagine losing my "one and only".

Reactions: Tj04
Fuck man that's absolutely awful. I can't imagine something worse than that, and it is a regular thing I think about . I don't know that I'd ever recover from that. Truly sorry. :(

I was going to write a story about leaving the winch controller in the house and being stuck in a mud pit but it just don't seem right now.

Seems perfectly alright to me. I do not know how "Spiritual" (not religious) you guys are, but, there is something to be said for having gone through the experience. I have a different view on death than most. Having spent the previous two years taking care of her, the final moments were more of an act of love than horror. I knew as soon as she was told about it that I was there to help her pass with dignity, not to save her.

Pardon me, as I imagine you don't like to dwell on the subject, but my condolences to you, sir. I couldn't imagine losing my "one and only".

Never easy for sure. The time involved in the process makes the finality of it much easier, for me anyway, than a phone call or instantaneous situation that removes that person from your life. All is well and good. Energy never dies, it just changes form. :)

Thank you for the kind words. I really didn't want to make that post/this thread about me. Back to the stories that actually involve Jeeps.

I bought my Jeep new on April 1, 1997. It was a daily driver for me. I would guess about 7 years after, on the way home from a twenty mile drive, and after a 6 inch torrential rainfall, I ran into some high water. High enough to cover the muffler, catalytic converter and tailpipe.

Unbeknownst to me that cold rain water and 810 degree catty didn't play well with the ceramic inside. Two weeks later the. Back pressure on the engine caused the cam shaft to slightly warp. So, the catty was finally replaced.

Over a period of three more years I just learned to live with the engine clicking all the time...until one day, boom. The engine finally threw a piston.

Thankfully, I had enough cash saved to put a Jasper engine in and replaced a few things while access was had to other parts to replace. All in all, almost a new car when the engine was replaced.

Fast forward four years, Chrysler sends me a recall notice on the catalytic converter! shy? Because the ceramic inside was defective and could cause issues. Lol.

Wonder if I could have gothen them to spot me the cost of a new engine? Nope.

Then there's the time a lady ran a yield light in front of me in her shiney, new Explorer...booom...that's an entirely different story :)

Last February it was unusually warm in NJ. Pulled the doors off and took a daytrip to the Jersey shore. Unfortunately I forgot that it's always like 6-8 degrees colder at the shore(I live in southwest NJ right outside Philly), so by the time I got near the shore, I was shivering. I decided to scrap the idea and head back home.

On the way home, I passed a road leading into the pine barrens. I decided to take a detour through the trails there, since I was already out there. I took a random trail, hit a couple puddles my TJ got through no problem. I got to an intersection in the trail with some long grass, took a turn. No more than 300 later I saw a rather large puddle(it was actually more like a mini swamp). I got over zealous and tried to go through it and got stuck pretty quick.

So there I was, alone, with no winch, totally dug in. After 3 minutes of cussing at myself, I pulled a hail mary and called the ranger station(figured if they gave me a ticket, I'd just bite the bullet). Surprisingly, they gave me a number for a tow company that was familiar with the pine barrens and they came out and winched me out. Luckily I was right off that grassy cross road so I was able to give them a pretty descriptive land mark. The guy even told me how to get my insurance to reimburse me for the tow since I had road side assistance.

While it wasn't a tragic ending, it certainly was a learning experience. I came to the realization that, while my TJ is super capable, it wasn't invincible. I cleaned off the undercarriage, got a transmission flush, and bought a winch the following week.

A friend gave me a '79 FSJ Golden Eagle Cherokee that he said had been "sitting for a spell". Well, turns out it had been sitting for 9 years. As we all know, that kind of dormancy takes its toll on a rig. At the time, however, I was convinced that this little "diamond in the rough" was going to be back on the road in time to make the upcoming Saturday car show that my AMC/Rambler club was putting on. Problem was, this was Thursday morning. I started thrashing on this thing, getting the radiator rebuilt, pulling the gas tank and getting it boiled-out (same place that did the rad), pulling the oil pan and removing the sludge, replacing all hoses, water pump, timing gears, oil pump, tune-up parts, two broken rockers, lifters...you get the idea. My son (15 years old, at the time) kept me company and even ended up sleeping in the rig while I was working on it. Friday night comes and goes, and I still haven't slept. About 10:00am on Saturday, I'm spilling my guts to my son about what a lousy father I am to be spending all this time on some POS rig, when I should be spending time with him, and just generally feeling like a loser. My boy says "Dad...it's okay. You're just exhausted. You need sleep." Well, I got the Jeep running, and drove it toward the show. It handled so poorly that I turned around and parked it. Ended up driving to the show in our Rambler. I won the "Hard Luck Award" after sharing my story with a gathering of about 40 club members who weren't sure if I was exhausted, or drunk. By about 7:30pm Saturday night, I passed out asleep for the first time since getting up Thursday morning. I still will pull all-nighters now and then, but nothing like that, again.

Last edited: