Youtube videos showing mechanics in India

Jerry Bransford

Staff
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Indian mechanics amaze me. They have roadside stalls, sometimes not even that... they often work on sidewalks and dirt floors. I've watched videos where they have rebuilt starter motors, alternators, and transmissions, and last night I watched them repair a HUGE axle shaft that had snapped on a giant truck. The shaft itself looked to be 8" in diameter. Through the use of a stick welder and a big lathe they repaired and I have to say the repair looked solid and absolutely beautiful when they were done.

The huge truck starter motor was equally amazing, they essentially remanufactured it with new huge square copper windings, turned the armature shafts with a lathe, etc. all while sitting on the dirt with a great charcoal-based fire to heat up their soldering iron, etc. No electricity in that shop.

Then I watched them remove then repair a big truck transmission. All done on the ground, not a work bench or power tool in sight. No shop manuals either. It had broken a gear and they took it apart and put it back together without referring to any manuals. It looked kinda like they did some of the tasks on a sidewalk. The guy doing the final reassembly work knew where every part went, and there were many, no manual needed.

I'm impressed, those guys seem to be capable of performing miracle repairs in very basic conditions, like out in villages on dirt floors and doing major repairs to anything and anything. I'm kinda hooked on Youtube videos and since it has figured out I like stuff like that it keeps suggesting them to me. Sometimes I can't get to bed for watching some of the videos lol.

Indian mechanics amaze me. They have roadside stalls, sometimes not even that... they often work on sidewalks and dirt floors. I've watched videos where they have rebuilt starter motors, alternators, and transmissions, and last night I watched them repair a HUGE axle shaft that had snapped on a giant truck. The shaft itself looked to be 8" in diameter. Through the use of a stick welder and a big lathe they repaired and I have to say the repair looked solid and absolutely beautiful when they were done.

The huge truck starter motor was equally amazing, they essentially remanufactured it with new huge square copper windings, turned the armature shafts with a lathe, etc. all while sitting on the dirt with a great charcoal-based fire to heat up their soldering iron, etc. No electricity in that shop.

Then I watched them remove then repair a big truck transmission. All done on the ground, not a work bench or power tool in sight. No shop manuals either. It had broken a gear and they took it apart and put it back together without referring to any manuals. It looked kinda like they did some of the tasks on a sidewalk. The guy doing the final reassembly work knew where every part went, and there were many, no manual needed.

I'm impressed, those guys seem to be capable of performing miracle repairs in very basic conditions, like out in villages on dirt floors and doing major repairs to anything and anything. I'm kinda hooked on Youtube videos and since it has figured out I like stuff like that it keeps suggesting them to me. Sometimes I can't get to bed for watching some of the videos lol.
Jerry, what you didn't see was the guy ducking around the corner, pulling out his cell phone, and pulling up the "Indian Roadside Mechanics Forum" and asking Rajeeve Blaine a shit-ton of questions... ;)

I saw one recently of a dirt floor electric motor shop. They were rewinding motors. I saw a homemade winder that he was making series windings on. I don't think I saw a single Snap On tool in his shop either.

Meanwhile try to get the same thing done here and it's thousands of dollars, and weeks in the shop, IF you can even find anyone to do it.