Yukon Grizzly lockers

Bermudacat

TJ Enthusiast
Well?

This is my angle; In a Dana 30 HP front would you do the Grizzly so you could run 30 spline axles or choose the Detroit and run 27's?

Power will go through Spyntec 1/2 ton Chevy outers.

Thanks!

I would not run a Detroit Locker in a Dana 30. As superb as the Detroit Locker is, and as much as I loved mine in my rear Dana 44, it doesn't hold together well in the Dana 30 due to excessive flex.

Hardened alloy 27 spline shafts are more than enough for 35" tires and a front locker, which is as big as can be run long-term on a Dana 30 (HP or LP) anyway. Hardened alloy 27 spline shafts are slightly stronger than the factory carbon steel 30 spline shafts that come in a Dana 44.

After breaking a front OE 27 spline carbon steel shaft, I upgraded to 27 spline hardened alloy shafts and with a front locker and 35's, had no more shaft breakages.

I am going to run 35's, so that is good to know.

Any way to eliminate flex on the Dana 30?

Would the Yukon be a viable alternative to the Detroit?

Lunchbox locker?

Thanks!

PS Part of my inclination for 30's was the ability to 'port' over to a Dana 44 housing if something went Kaboom, but I have a gentle throttle foot, so it sounds like alloy 27's are plenty.

Last edited:

Truss it or get a stronger housing and axle tubes. Though if you did the latter at that point it would be better to just start with a stronger axle altogether.

So, I would say truss it.

I am going to run 35's, so that is good to know.

Would the Yukon be a viable alternative to the Detroit?

Lunchbox locker?

Thanks!

PS Part of my inclination for 30's was the ability to 'port' over to a Dana 44 housing if something went Kaboom, but I have a gentle throttle foot, so it sounds like alloy 27's are plenty.
My front Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker held up up fine to my wheeling and 35's. But if you were ok with the price of a Detroit Locker, I'd save up a bit longer and go for an ARB Air Locker. Once in a while my front automatic No-Slip lunchbox locker would make it REALLY hard to turn on some trail conditions. It's real hard to beat an ARB and it's fine in the Dana 30.

Truss it or get a stronger housing and axle tubes. Though if you did the latter at that point it would be better to just start with a stronger axle altogether.

So, I would say truss it.

Hmmm, if a truss solved the problem, I have full access to my Buddie's 181 Fabricator and I can weld.

From what a few well respected members have said about trussing a Dana 30 to be strong enough for a Detroit Locker over the years, I wouldn't expect success from trussing it. I'd rather save up a bit more and just go with an ARB.

My front Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker held up up fine to my wheeling and 35's. But if you were ok with the price of a Detroit Locker, I'd save up a bit longer and go for an ARB Air Locker. Once in a while my front automatic No-Slip lunchbox locker would make it REALLY hard to turn on some trail conditions. It's real hard to beat an ARB and it's fine in the Dana 30.

I'd like to build it once, so I don't mind a little up front cost. I really like ARB, but I think I'd be happier with the freewheeling side of an auto locker. I do have a LockRite and two 3.73 up carriers for the Dana 30, so that does make the 27 spline attractive.

From what a few well respected members have said about trussing a Dana 30 to be strong enough for a Detroit Locker over the years, I wouldn't expect success from trussing it. I'd rather save up a bit more and just go with an ARB.

Must be flex at the housing.

Does the Detroit locker put more stress on it than the ARB? Hence the reason the truss doesn't work so well with the Detroit?

Does the Detroit locker put more stress on it than the ARB? Hence the reason the truss doesn't work so well with the Detroit?
The Detroit Locker wouldn't put any more stress on it than an ARB could. My guess is the Dana 30 version of the Detroit Locker's case is simply not as strong as the ARB's case is.

Interesting video on the Yukon Grizzly vs. the ARB Air Locker...

But pay no attention to the part where the announcer says you can drive on a broken axle shaft... you can't. In the case of a broken rear axle shaft, you have to replace it with a spare. If a front axle shaft breaks, the inner shaft has to be removed before you can drive which requires the outer stub shaft be in place to hold the unit bearing hub together.

Reactions: Chris
The Detroit Locker wouldn't put any more stress on it than an ARB could. My guess is the Dana 30 version of the Detroit Locker's case is simply not as strong as the ARB's case is.

So it's the case that gives up rather than the internals? Maybe they were designed to stand up to 260's on CJ's?

Reactions: Chris
I'm still talking about the Detroit in a Dana 30 housing.

That is an impressive video of the Yukon air locker VS the ARB air locker.