Zastava 24/47, 7.92x57mm and mount

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Here you go @Tj04!

This is a rearsenaled Yugo (Zastava) 24/47 with matching numbers. Almost. All the numbers match on the important parts anyway. I had a devil of a time getting all the cosmoline out of the nooks and crannies. The wife and oldest daughter made me stop cleaning the stock because it was getting lighter and lighter the more I cleaned and they prefer a little darker wood. Since I really don't care THAT much, I stopped. The stock is refinished with boiled linseed oil. Extremely smooth and water resistant. I do need to go after the upper hand guard again, it's still pretty rough. When the wife and daughter aren't looking, that is.

It shoots wonderfully. Cast 196 grain, surplus, commercial...it doesn't seem to matter much. Less than 2" groups off the bench at 100 yards. The funny thing is, it shoots better from position than off the bench. Some rifles just do that though. It's pretty easy to pick off pine cones and pebbles at random ranges out in the woods.

Rifle:
Full.jpg

Tiger stripes:
24-47 Stripes.jpg

Here's the mount that I was talking about. It's not a trivial thing to get on the rifle correctly. It is correct for the 24/47 though, and is probably one of the best Mauser rifle mounts out there that is detachable. Slightly better than the Mauser turret mounts in some folk's opinions.

All the LSR bits:
LSR Mount.jpg

Mounted on Zastava M48:
LSR Mount on Rifle.jpg

The LSR mounts are very old school, and are difficult to mount correctly. The stock needs to be fitted to the mount and the mount needs to be fitted to the action. Once everything is lined up and pinned though, the return to zero is excellent. Unfortunately those mounts are metric, and you have to use a metric scope or put inserts in for a 1" scope. If I can find a good 4x metric scope I would probably go that way.

Hope you enjoy!

Edited to add:
Here's a link to the best quality reproduction LSR mount available. The originals are horribly expensive, when you can find one. Refitting to another rifle can be problematic to boot.

https://www.accumounts.com/yugo-mauser-steel-long-side-mounts-additional-photos.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Tj04 and Chris
Very cool!! I've always liked Mausers. Accumounts are good quality as well. I'll be ordering a mounting base for my mosin nagant ex sniper rifle.

Have you looked at surplus scopes that are correct for it? Obviously not the same, but I've found used good condition ww2 scopes for mosin sniper rifles in cosmoline that aren't bad price wise, under $200 for most. always like eBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Very cool!! I've always liked Mausers. Accumounts are good quality as well. I'll be ordering a mounting base for my mosin nagant ex sniper rifle.

Have you looked at surplus scopes that are correct for it? Obviously not the same, but I've found used good condition ww2 scopes for mosin sniper rifles in cosmoline that aren't bad price wise, under $200 for most. always like eBay.
I'll check that out.

Sometimes they can get pricey. I know a PU scope for a mosin is around $200 or less but a PEM scope is like $400
How's the glass in those, typically? I'll go look them up and see what they look like.

There was an old Redfield 4x on e-bay that looked really nice for not a lot of money, but then I'm still getting stuck with a 1" tube, not a 26.5mm tube.

How's the glass in those, typically? I'll go look them up and see what they look like.

There was an old Redfield 4x on e-bay that looked really nice for not a lot of money, but then I'm still getting stuck with a 1" tube, not a 26.5mm tube.
It really will vary. Some will be mint and basically unissued some aren't great. Most are really good. I know the Russians in particular built more sniper rifles than the rest of the world combined in WW2 and hence a lot of them didn't get used much. What scope is the correct scope for your rifle?

Zrack 4x32?

You could consider the rear sight scope mounts and a long eye relief scope. Not historically correct but they work pretty well. I don't have any mausers yet but my friend has one on his and I used one on a mosin and it worked alright.

Another option is if Brass Stacker makes Mauser scope mounts.

Otherwise I do support the correct mount being used. I prefer to do it that way. Just throwing out a few ideas

Here's the bass stacker one. I really like these as they are very high quality but DO NOT require drilling and tapping. No permanent mods to your surplus rifle. I prefer these over anything. Generally speaking as soon as you drill into or cut a surplus gun it's worth half its value. There are some rare exceptions, example being restoring an ex sniper mosin IF you use an original same year scope and mount it can be worth a good penny, and worth it in my opinion.

https://brassstacker.com/mauser/Mauser-See-Thru-Scout-Scope-Mount.html

The Serbians never really went in for snipers until Yugoslavia broke up, so historical accuracy isn't an issue. One of the cool things about the 24/47 is it's a high quality rifle, well made, with few historical pretensions. You don't have to get all wound around the axle over modifying it.

A scout mount and scope might work well. No bolt handle mods needed. Put a decent pistol scope on it and call it good. Hmmm.

My eyesight is getting to that point.

Maybe a Scout Mount and an Eotech. The wife has a really nice Eotech 512 with laser she never uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tj04
The Serbians never really went in for snipers until Yugoslavia broke up, so historical accuracy isn't an issue. One of the cool things about the 24/47 is it's a high quality rifle, well made, with few historical pretensions. You don't have to get all wound around the axle over modifying it.

A scout mount and scope might work well. No bolt handle mods needed. Put a decent pistol scope on it and call it good. Hmmm.

My eyesight is getting to that point.

Maybe a Scout Mount and an Eotech. The wife has a really nice Eotech 512 with laser she never uses.
Eotech and Mauser. I love it. Im so sick of seeing ARs As the only gun that deserves expensive scopes.

I'd strongly recommend the brsss stacker then. No wobble nor movement from recoil of the optic.

ARs expensive optics? I see the other way.....TONS of Nice AR's with 35 dollar Amazon specials sitting on top SMH.
That is also true. But the people I know all have optics more than the cost of their AR. I run the cheapest optic of the people I know and it is a $200 vortex.

Depends who you are talking about. Tons of guys that know nothing about guns that buy an AR and throw a $25 Walmart red dot and think its SHTF ready. I don't really socialize with those people. Especially with the "$370 budget AR" which often don't even feed properly.

I was brought up with Remington Model 700's, 30-06, .280's, 300 mags, etc. Big Game Rifles. My dad has me conditioned that you buy the best glass you can afford, because missing a shot on an animal isn't worth whatever money you spent. That was 20 years ago...and today's 200 dollar scopes are probably better than a 500 dollar Leupold back then. Even he doesn't go Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, etc (even though he has the means).

My M4gery is my beater truck rifle. I built it years ago, bought a crap ton of surplus 5.56 and shoot the snot out of it.

Ya, I'm kind of liking the Eotech - 24/47 combo as well. Need to look at that some more.

It'll make me laugh, a $1000 optic on a $125 rifle!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tj04
My M4gery is my beater truck rifle. I built it years ago, bought a crap ton of surplus 5.56 and shoot the snot out of it.

Ya, I'm kind of liking the Eotech - 24/47 combo as well. Need to look at that some more.

It'll make me laugh, a $1000 optic on a $125 rifle!
I see no problem. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We need creativity.