ZJ steering upgrade

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Can anyone confirm this pic is correct for ZJ upgrade on a TJ:
upload_2018-7-6_9-58-47.png

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times, but haven't found a post that shows all part numbers and my searches have also shown conflicting info...

Yes, those would be the correct Moog part numbers and are the parts I used, minus the steering damper. I would recommend adding the TJ drag link part number as well (DS1430).

Last edited:
Hi @TJ's-TJ

You are correct, it is many conflicting info about this but I do think is due the drag link or passenger side tie rod different opinions.

Here what I do use(on the attached picture). Pretty similar part numbers to the ones on your post. I do went with and OME steering damper i get on a barter deal but the Monroe is more than what the TJ's need. I do respect the opinion on the drag link angle but, I went with the ZJ drag link or passenger side tie rod end , no issues at all plus no contact with my Barnett diff cover.

Note:
I have done this mod on two TJ's plus my current LJ.

EDIT** Re organize last line.

upload_2018-7-6_10-9-8.png

Last edited:
Yes, those would be the correct Moog part numbers and are the parts I used, minus the steering damper. I would recommend adding the TJ drag link part number as well (DS1312).

Hi @CodaMan

I have this note on my archives;
The DS1312 is the drag link or passenger side tie rod end Moog part number for the ZJ (Grand Cherokee).
DS1430 is the drag link or passenger side tie rod end Moog part number for Wrangler (TJ).

I does not wants to start anything here, just correct my info if that is the case. Can you please check your notes and let me know what I do have wrong?
Thanks Buddy!

Reactions: JasterMereel42
Yes, those would be the correct Moog part numbers and are the parts I used, minus the steering damper. I would recommend adding the TJ drag link part number as well (DS1312).

If I am not mistaken, the TJ drag link is DS1430

Reactions: JMT
Here's the write-up with all the part numbers and links:
ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Thanks, Chris That seems to go along with the picture with the exception of your list possibly being short (1) ES2079S in your list of parts required to change everything.

(2) ES3096L End
(2) ES2079S Sleeve
(1) DS1312 Tie Rod (ZJ?)
(1) DS1430 Drag Link (TJ)

Correct?

Reactions: red02tj
Thanks, Chris That seems to go along with the picture with the exception of your list possibly being short (1) ES2079S in your list of parts required to change everything.

(2) ES3096L End
(2) ES2079S Sleeve
(1) DS1312 Tie Rod (ZJ?)
(1) DS1430 Drag Link (TJ)

Correct?

I got those part numbers from @JMT. Perhaps he will chime in.

Oh shoot. I bought and painted all of those a couple of months ago, but have not had the time to get them in yet. I better double check that I have the right drag link. I was half planning on installing mine this weekend. Good question!

Hi,

Based on @Jorge Bolivar statement regarding using the ZJ Drag Link versus the TJ Drag Link. Can anyone say what the pros and cons of using one over the other? I am looking to do this conversion on my non-lifted TJ next month. BTW - changed my front sway bar links and the sway bar bushings the other day. What a difference in handling and so far no more Death Wobble.

Lou

Hi,

Based on @Jorge Bolivar statement regarding using the ZJ Drag Link versus the TJ Drag Link. Can anyone say what the pros and cons of using one over the other? I am looking to do this conversion on my non-lifted TJ next month. BTW - changed my front sway bar links and the sway bar bushings the other day. What a difference in handling and so far no more Death Wobble.

Lou
Looking at the picture in the first post it looks like the zj drag link is angled differently.

@ac_ is right, the ZJ drag link is angled slightly differently. Either will work, I THINK, and I’d say go with the cheaper one, as there is no advantage strength-wise of one over the other. But to be safe, go with the TJ drag link.

EDIT: I am correct. The ZJ and TJ drag link are angled slightly different. However, the only thing that changes is a slight angle on installation of the steering stabilizer. Everything else is the same. YOu can use the ZJ one and save some big bucks. If I recall, it was about half the price of the TJ one. I used the ZJ and saved. Also, you may not neeed a new drag link, just the tie rod ends, so that saves even more

Last edited:
@ac_ is right, the ZJ drag link is angled slightly differently. Either will work, go with the cheaper one, there is no advantage strength-wise of one over the other.
Oh good so, it sounds like if I did buy the wrong one it will still work? I will double check it today to see what I may have done.

Oh good so, it sounds like if I did buy the wrong one it will still work? I will double check it today to see what I may have done.
Yes, see my EDIT above ^^^

Reactions: ac_
Yes, see my EDIT above ^^^
Ok good. I am not positive what I did but I know I bought everything including two adjusting sleeves. I already have an OME stabalizer so that is the only thing I didn't buy. They are all painted and ready to go on, I just need some hours where I can put them on and align.

Ok good. I am not positive what I did but I know I bought everything including two adjusting sleeves. I already have an OME stabalizer so that is the only thing I didn't buy. They are all painted and ready to go on, I just need some hours where I can put them on and align.
Won’t take YOU hours, maybe one hour since you’ve already got them painted.