Zone 3" lift kit for the 05

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
About to pull the trigger on the Zone 3" lift kit for my stock 05 Sport.
20180909_180529.jpg

Prior to the 3" lift i plan to install a 1" BL and Savvy shift cable for the 6 speed manual.
Since this is my first shot at a lift I need advice on a couple things like:

Are lower CAs mandatory for a 3" lift or can I get away with rear upper adjustable CAs only ?

Anyone currently running this Zone 3" lift?

Is there any reason i can't make my own 1" thick mml's from 1" aluminum stock?

Does the 3" lift mean I need a double cardan driveshaft?
Thanks for all comments. And many thanks to @JMT who has given good counsel on this matter :)

Reactions: JMT
About to pull the trigger on the Zone 3" lift kit for my stock 05 Sport.
View attachment 56000
Prior to the 3" lift i plan to install a 1" BL and Savvy shift cable for the 6 speed manual.
Since this is my first shot at a lift I need advice on a couple things like:

Are lower CAs mandatory for a 3" lift or can I get away with rear upper adjustable CAs only ?

Anyone currently running this Zone 3" lift?

Is there any reason i can't make my own 1" thick mml's from 1" aluminum stock?

Does the 3" lift mean I need a double cardan driveshaft?
Thanks for all comments. And many thanks to @JMT who has given good counsel on this matter :)
The kit might have a transfer drop kit on it which would negate the new shaft.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Looks like you wanting to run 33’s, is that correct?
If so, adjustable lower and upper control arms are required. Not being passive aggressive at all, but going that route would be correct. Any other way is a band aid fix.

Have you considered re gearing the front and rear axle?

Looks like you wanting to run 33’s, is that correct?
If so, adjustable lower and upper control arms are required. Not being passive aggressive at all, but going that route would be correct. Any other way is a band aid fix.

Have you considered re gearing the front and rear axle?
Yes @Fouledplugs 33s. No interested in anything larger right now. Thanks i wasnt sure if the 3" lift required lower and upper or not since they weren't included in the kit, but I get what you are saying.
Yes I considered regearing but not for a couple more years. I love the 3.73s right now since it's my DD and I do a fair amount of highway driving.

It does include the TC drop kit, I just wonder how much. I had to drop the TC 1/2" on my 97 2" lift.
Right now I still have the drop kit from the PO and his old teraflex lift. I have the currie 4" and with the drop i dont have any vibes with oem shaft and adjustable arms.

I'm pulling off the drop and ordering a tom woods at the end of this month.

Have you considered getting the 4.25 combo kit.. but not putting on the 1 inch body lift? That way your at 3".. but have room to upsize.
@Sancho that 4.25 combo looks nice, I may go that route.
What lift do you have?
Don't you think I would need a double cardan driveshaft with the 4.25 combo?
Especially if I want to delete the TC drop?

What’s the price difference on the 4.25” Zone kit vs the 3”?

Ultimately you could do the Savvy 3” springs ($429) + Savvy 1.25” body lift ($169), the aluminum Savvy MML blocks ($79) and pair with Rancho 5000x ($200), an adjustable front JKS trackbar ($230) and a rear relocation bracket ($20). Throw some bumpstops in there, you won’t need much. That’s about $1100, but it’s darn near perfect for 33’s.

@Fouledplugs, where is the line between stock and adjustable CA’s? I would think you could get away with ~3”, at least for awhile. I’m at 3” and no problem.

What’s the price difference on the 4.25” Zone kit vs the 3”?

Ultimately you could do the Savvy 3” springs ($429) + Savvy 1.25” body lift ($169), the aluminum Savvy MML blocks ($79) and pair with Rancho 5000x ($200), an adjustable front JKS trackbar ($230) and a rear relocation bracket ($20). Throw some bumpstops in there, you won’t need much. That’s about $1100, but it’s darn near perfect for 33’s.

@Fouledplugs, where is the line between stock and adjustable CA’s? I would think you could get away with ~3”, at least for awhile. I’m at 3” and no problem.
Yes, good Qs!
The Zone 3" is $487
The Zone 4.25 is $557.

That's really all I'm looking for right now, a nice lift for 33s. That's good info @JMT, looks like I got more homework to do.. fun homework I mean :)

Yes, good Qs!
The Zone 3" is $487
The Zone 4.25 is $557.

That's really all I'm looking for right now, a nice lift for 33s. That's good info @JMT, looks like I got more homework to do.. fun homework I mean :)
The difference here is in the amount of $$$ and quality. You may be perfectly happy with the Zone. Lots of people are! That means a lot. At the same time, I don’t think you want to get stuck with a crappy poly body lift, though some people don’t care. I do think you could get away with making some aluminum spacers for your MML, but at $79 Savvy, that’s pretty cheap.

If you get to 3” suspension lift you are going to get vibes, I don’t care what TJ you’re driving.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I've got the Zone 4.25 combo kit on my '05 Rubicon. Adjustable Control arms are not required, but I would recommend them if you can swing the cash. For now I'm just running adjustable caster bolts on the front and a home made 1/2" transfer case drop. As time and money allow, I will be going with all adjustable control arms.
I think it is a lot of bang for the buck, as far as lift kits go. I popped for the nitro shocks and sway bar disconnects as well. Rides nice, and handles well.

If you get to 3” suspension lift you are going to get vibes, I don’t care what TJ you’re driving.
Yes, ain't afraid of no stinking vibe!
I fixed them in my 97 so I figure I'm big time now so hey I'm going for it.:)

Btw I am ordering the Savvy 1.25 BL kit.
Should I install the Savvy cable shift at the same time ?
Or at a later date.?

I've got the Zone 4.25 combo kit on my '05 Rubicon. Adjustable Control arms are not required, but I would recommend them if you can swing the cash. For now I'm just running adjustable caster bolts on the front and a home made 1/2" transfer case drop. As time and money allow, I will be going with all adjustable control arms.
I think it is a lot of bang for the buck, as far as lift kits go. I popped for the nitro shocks and sway bar disconnects as well. Rides nice, and handles well.
That's really the only thing left that scares me, I don't understand the adjusting of the caster on the front lower CAs. I'll keep looking at that.
Sounds like your lift came out well. Thanks for the feedback :)