Zone 4” lift revisited

jaywebguy

Let me start by saying I've search, here, google, youtube etc. but I haven't found an answer to my question. Here's the thing, I have a 2004 LJ, about 4 years ago, I did a 4" zone lift on it, didn't really know much about the different kits that are out there other than stay away from rubicon express. Truthfully, I've been mostly happy with it. I do think, it has reached its end of life on my jeep (I'll start a different thread). Here's the thing, I bought a yellow 2004 lj for my daughter. I'm spending this winter getting it ready for her to drive in the spring. I have a laundry list of tasks, started with valve cover gasket, currently during rear main seal and oil pan. Next up is the heater core, ball joints, brakes rotors etc. Finally, though I want to finish it off with a 4" lift and 33 or 35s (don't want to get into an argument over the 35s). I'll also be swapping out the gears to 4.88s.

So here's my dilemma with the zone lift. I feel like 4 years ago maybe it was a better kit, I haven't had any issues with mine with the type of offroading we do. Mainly forest service trails, lava flows, and some rock crawling in the desert. We've been to more mountain lakes than I can count with it. I'm not doing a metalcloak, it's too much money for my daughter's jeep. The warrior 4" lift is interesting, but don't know much about it. Also, rancho has one I'm curious about. Honestly, I'd like to find a shop I can call and talk to about my options. Another issue I see is with the lj, I think it could use some stiffer springs in the rear. So here's the million-dollar question are there any shops, you'd recommend to call and order a setup from? My budget for the lift is about 1500. Keep in mind. If I find a good source, I've got tons of other parts I need to order, side rock guards, bumpers, carpet kit and I want to upgrade what I've got on my jeep.

Thanks and I hope you're all having a good Thanksgiving. We are currently waiting on the smoker to finish cooking our bird, hopefully, it's done by 4pm...

Reactions: Chris
What do you mean that the lift has reached end of life? Shocks? Springs sag? control arm bushings?

Is it just time to be freshened up or part failure/breakage?

Reactions: John Cooper
What do you mean that the lift has reached end of life? Shocks? Springs sag? control arm bushings?

Is it just time to be freshened up or part failure/breakage?
I'll create a new post about that. In short though, I think the springs have settle a bunch, bushings need replaced (probably get new adjustable lower control arms) and although the shocks aren't leaking, I'd like to try a different set. In total I've put about 50k miles on the setup

Reactions: Chris
Do you get what you pay for when you overpay for a Jeep lift?

Overpaying is a relative thing really.

What is your definition of overpaying? If you go buy a Savvy or Currie lift, you'll spend over 2k, but you'll also get Johnny Joints, which will last a lot longer than a typical poly bushing or whatever most of these low end lift manufactures are using.

The common theme among most of these budget lifts seems to be bushings failing in short order.

I have no experience with them personally so I can't comment from firsthand experience. I can say however that I've read a lot of stories about a lot of people replacing their budget lifts with better control arms and shocks.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Overpaying is a relative thing really.

What is your definition of overpaying? If you go buy a Savvy or Currie lift, you'll spend over 2k, but you'll also get Johnny Joints, which will last a lot longer than a typical poly bushing or whatever most of these low end lift manufactures are using.

The common theme among most of these budget lifts seems to be bushings failing in short order.

I have no experience with them personally so I can't comment from firsthand experience. I can say however that I've read a lot of stories about a lot of people replacing their budget lifts with better control arms and shocks.
The guy in that vid was running Zone's discontinued soft hydro shocks. It shows me he didn't know what he was doing. I think most people that buy inexpensive parts are smart enough to know what they're buying. Maybe not.

Consider buying springs .. buy shocks . Get the arms and track bar sorted out .. unless it's a deal I may never buy a packaged lift again.