2005 LJ Rubicon Pricing

phert68

Hello everyone, I will be listing my LJ for sale in the next couple of weeks. The Jeep is clean, no rust, and very good interior. It has 84,xxx miles and runs great. It's not perfect and I would like some opinions as to whether or not I should complete some repairs prior to sale: It has some hail dents on the hood and panel directly below the windshield, and it may need a new shifter fork (common issue with the 6 speed) - reverse is "stiff" to engage, but manageable. I have included a photo, this is it's current condition sitting in my shop in Colorado Springs. I have driven the jeep with these issues for more than a decade and it doesn't effect the fun factor at all. She's a mountain goat, no problem.

IMG_20191109_160403.jpg

You'll get more money if you have the repairs. I would say it it's in great shape with no damage or issues, you could potentially get 20k.

Thanks Chris, the shifter fork looks like about $1,300, and the hail repair was estimated at $600 for "paintless" repair.

I think you may get more if you fix it, as someone is going to look at it as a vehicle that needs nothing, as oppose to a project. That's my opinion at least. Curious what others have to say (I'm sure they'll be chiming in shortly).

In my mind though, a turn key vehicle is always more appealing to the masses.

Reactions: billiebob
6 bills for a hood paintless repair seems really steep. You could get it repainted and fixed at a body shop for that. I agree fixing it all will benefit you in the sale.

I think you may get more if you fix it, as someone is going to look at it as a vehicle that needs nothing, as oppose to a project. That's my opinion at least. Curious what others have to say (I'm sure they'll be chiming in shortly).

In my mind though, a turn key vehicle is always more appealing to the masses.
I agree, you have a great stock low mile unmolested LJ. Eliminate the niggling issues which will drive the price down. Sell it as a perfect LJ. Someone is out there looking for a no stories Jeep.

Reactions: Jamison C and Web98
If you can avoid painting , you need to . An original LJ Rubicon is top dog.

Reactions: billiebob
6 bills for a hood paintless repair seems really steep. You could get it repainted and fixed at a body shop for that.

Agree, but disagree. Having raised two teenage drivers, I've paid for several minor repairs out of pocket, and was surprised at what minor body repair costs are these days. After talking to my "body guy" I learned a few things. My body guy did repair work for my father, and has a stellar local reputation.

Many times estimates are done by some computer program that use the gigo system, and insurance companies are willing to pay the amount, especially if no bodily injury is involved, and the claim can be settled quickly.

I had paintless dent repair on my last pick-up (5 years ago) because of hail damage. My body shop guy told me for hail damage, they look at your vehicle and compare it to some chart that shows the number of dents per "area". The chart listed what to charge. He also told me many paintless repair guys traveled the country following storms. Some are good, but some are bad. After a big storm, you take your car to "Best Body Shop" for dent repair and your not happy with the results, you have little recourse, because their dentless repair guy moved on.

Bottom line, if you must sell your LJ, get top dollar. That makes mine worth more :D

To some buyers , if it's been painted on , the value drops . When you start talking about vehicles that are somewhat sought after, like the LJR , that needs to be considered .

When you tell a potential buyer it's been painted on , or they see overspray , they may reflexively think it's been near totaled . People often assume the worst , and believe little.

If you paint it , take pics before .

Agree, but disagree. Having raised two teenage drivers, I've paid for several minor repairs out of pocket, and was surprised at what minor body repair costs are these days. After talking to my "body guy" I learned a few things. My body guy did repair work for my father, and has a stellar local reputation.

Many times estimates are done by some computer program that use the gigo system, and insurance companies are willing to pay the amount, especially if no bodily injury is involved, and the claim can be settled quickly.

I had paintless dent repair on my last pick-up (5 years ago) because of hail damage. My body shop guy told me for hail damage, they look at your vehicle and compare it to some chart that shows the number of dents per "area". The chart listed what to charge. He also told me many paintless repair guys traveled the country following storms. Some are good, but some are bad. After a big storm, you take your car to "Best Body Shop" for dent repair and your not happy with the results, you have little recourse, because their dentless repair guy moved on.

Bottom line, if you must sell your LJ, get top dollar. That makes mine worth more :D
Good points, the shop I've used in the past, does excellent work, local guys, true craftsmen, but not the cheapest.

To some buyers , if it's been painted on , the value drops . When you start talking about vehicles that are somewhat sought after, like the LJR , that needs to be considered .

When you tell a potential buyer it's been painted on , or they see overspray , they may reflexively think it's been near totaled . People often assume the worst , and believe little.

If you paint it , take pics before .
Great advice, thank you.

Reactions: AndyG
You could also do this. Decide what you want out of it, and try selling it as is. If you only get low ball offers, then fix it if paying $2k in repairs will more than make up for it.

Before I painted that hood , I'd have a replacement painted and sell them both with it . Then it's fixed and original , either way.