How difficult is it to add air conditioning to a TJ that didn't come with it originally?

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
Asked a few days ago about an 03 Rubicon. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it and it needs AC work along with other recent work. So, now I'm looking at an 01 Sport, but it didn't come with AC....he thinks maybe it came from Alaska originally.

My question here is how difficult is it to add AC to one that didn't come with it from the factory? He thinks mounts and such are there. I doubt interior controls are, but would wire harness be there? Would it be as simple as adding compressor, line-set, dryer, etc.... I've found several others that I liked, but AC doesn't work, so I'm wondering if I'm any worse just adding it.

I put a jeepair kit in my 99 last year. You can do it in a day if you stay on track. I did a ton of stuff all at the same time so I pulled the steering column and seats out along with the hole dash. I've also hung the dash from the roll cage with ratchet straps. I much prefer to remove it entirely especially if you have another person to help put it back.