How do I diagnose VSS (P0500) issue?

Abrinjoe

Hey Guys, 2003 Rubicon

I've looked through the search bar, but maybe someone else has faced this issue (I'm sure they have), and I would like to ask for guidance to a how-to, or get some feedback.

I do have access to a Snap-On obd / diagnostic tool, but not sure how to use it for PCM issues.

Story:
My speedo and odometer do not work. I have a p0500 CEL code. So far I have:
- Replaced my VSS #5093610aa with 503202ab. This is the best I could find online.
- Turned the key 3 times and have no faults in my dash
- Held the trip reset button, while turning the key, and all gauges and lights function, BUT I also have bus b0, b1, b8, and panel open read out.
- I've taken out the instrument cluster, and cleaned contacts with electrical contact cleaner. I do not recall seeing any corrosion.

Where should I start? My head has been spinning for weeks over this issue, and the VSS replacement didn't do me justice.

Thanks ahead,
Joe

Last edited:
Autozone is your friend, since they’ll not only scan your Jeep for free, they’ll give you a printout of possible solutions for each code…

What repairs can fix the P0500 code?
  1. Vehicle speed sensor drive gear replaced.
  2. Repair or replacement of the wiring harness.
  3. Vehicle speed sensor replaced.
  4. Poor electrical connection resolved.

Reactions: BX22BR
Autozone is your friend, since they’ll not only scan your Jeep for free, they’ll give you a printout of possible solutions for each code…

What repairs can fix the P0500 code?
  1. Vehicle speed sensor drive gear replaced.
  2. Repair or replacement of the wiring harness.
  3. Vehicle speed sensor replaced.
  4. Poor electrical connection resolved.
Good post, short but helpful. I give it an A.

To actually diagnose it you need to check for 5 volt supply at the sensor, check sensor ground with a 12v test light, and backprobe the signal wire at the PCM with an o-scope to verify it's receiving a 5 volt square wave. Then go from there. Everything else will be guessing and throwing parts at it. Test, don't guess.

Hey Guys, 2003 Rubicon

I've looked through the search bar, but maybe someone else has faced this issue (I'm sure they have), and I would like to ask for guidance to a how-to, or get some feedback.

I do have access to a Snap-On obd / diagnostic tool, but not sure how to use it for PCM issues.

Story:
My speedo and odometer do not work. I have a p0500 CEL code. So far I have:
- Replaced my VSS #5093610aa with 503202ab. This is the best I could find online.
- Turned the key 3 times and have no faults in my dash
- Held the trip reset button, while turning the key, and all gauges and lights function, BUT I also have bus b0, b1, b8, and panel open read out.
- I've taken out the instrument cluster, and cleaned contacts with electrical contact cleaner. I do not recall seeing any corrosion.

Where should I start? My head has been spinning for weeks over this issue, and the VSS replacement didn't do me justice.

Thanks ahead,
Joe

I have a 1997 se 2.5 my idle was always about 800, suddenly was 1500- 2000, then jumped to 3000. That's whether threw its first code I've seen PO500 is that normal and what is the common culprit? I'm waiting for social security disability approval because of medical conditions and would like to be as cheap repair as possible, it's my only transportation too.