Need help confirming a theory to fix an issue with the premium audio (7 speaker) system in my 2006 TJ Rubicon

Wonder

TJ Enjoyer
Supporting Member
I recently picked up a 2006 Rubicon and noticed that the front right speaker doesn't always work. Wiggling the center console makes it work again. Me thinks that either the 12 pin sub connector, the sub amp, or a wire near the center console is grounding out but before I pull the console I want to know if my theory is correct to check there. At first, I thought it was just the old stock radio but as I said shaking the console brings the speaker back to life.

Did my research in the service manuals and saw that the factory radio runs to a connector behind the steering wheel and splices off to the individual speakers and all 4 feeds go to subwoofer together thru a 12 pin connector. I'm guessing somewhere in the console or amp is where my issue is originating from as the amp apparently does some equalization and its affecting pin 1 and 2 (gray and gray/brown wire).

I need to know 2 things:
  1. Am I possibly on the right track checking there? I don't think its the stock radio causing this as its easily duplicated just moving the console a bit.
  2. If I don't find a frayed/loose/dirty wire there that fixes the problem, does disconnecting the sub entirely (and covering the connector with tape) affect the other 4 speaker locations?

If the amp is the issue, I will eventually replace the unit with a small powered sub tapping the remote wire in the harness, running RCA from a new aftermarket head unit, and running new 12v from the battery. Saw some options on that in other threads.

Well I got into the underside of the console and found out the prior owner did a number on the wiring.

Added an aftermarket sub by cutting up the old factory box, lights, did a parking brake sensor delete and added a 3 port power splitter. Found 2 frayed wires rubbing together. Cut, spliced, and shrink wrapped them. Now it looks like my battery died (read 9v unplugged from the Jeep and 7v with the leads still connected) or something else is now wrong thanks to the butcher job in the console area as the Jeep won't start.

On accessory, the dash lights up, blower motor seems to come on, radio makes disc noises but no clock, and attempting to crank you can hear the starter click and see the lights on the dash and interior fade.

This is the stuff of nightmares and above my wheelhouse.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Pull the console . . . takes 10 minutes. Work back from there.
Tempted to figure out if its the battery first, but I'll probably have to go back into the console and shifter area with a more mechanically inclined friend or family member to sort it out. Luckily I had a family member who had an issue after his tow truck was stolen and wires cut who was able to fix all the wiring who should be able to help me figure this out if it comes down to it and had already offered to help figure out the aftermarket light pods (dude added 2 relays and one wasn't hooked up right and the other is under the steering wheel inside 😨) and winch (just isn't connected) that also don't work

I put just the battery on a trickle charger over night to hopefully put some charge back into it. I'm going to let it sit during the day and check the voltage it again when I get home since it needs to settle before the reading means anything.

On the bright side, I probably fixed the speaker issue with those two wires 🤦‍♀️ as they would touch until you jiggle the console. Jiggling made them not touch.

Last edited:
If the battery was at 9V with no load it's almost certainly smoked. It might come back from a charge but it's not long for this world either way.

Reactions: pagrey
If the battery was at 9V with no load it's almost certainly smoked. It might come back from a charge but it's not long for this world either way.
Yeah that’s probably the case. I did leave the accessory on trying to figure out the off-road lights that aren’t getting power and head lights on for a while when I fixed my plate light (I’ve got flush tail lights) to make sure it all worked. I’m sure that ran it down even more.

My TJ isn’t my daily driver luckily. I did get her running and went for a drive. I can always jump her again and go pick up a new battery. I just feel better knowing it was nothing I did.

Also I fixed the speaker issue! They all work again now.

Wouldn’t Start Update: Was indeed the battery.

Audio Issue Update: those two wires were the issue. Cutting, splicing, and shrink wrapping them did the trick perfectly. If you have the subwoofer system and you ever have a speaker cut in and out when you wiggle the center console, it’s probably a fraid wire. :)

Reactions: pagrey