Rear locker recommendation

Love me some Target!!!
I am looking for suggestions or recommendations on what make or style of locker rear end to use. I do not want an air locker.

My three rigs currently have an ARB, Detroit, and Yukon Grizzly. There is no noticeable difference between the Detroit and Yukon Grizzly. Both work flawlessly with minimal harsh behavior on pavement.

Reactions: 5632
I run a detroit in my 8.8 but it doesn't see much road time. When I do drive on the road all I notice is a loud clunk taking turns every once in a while. Selectable is more ideal for road rigs. Electric locker is an easier install with just needing a switch. I like the ox locker since if the manual or electric ever fails you can use the lockaway device to lock the axle.

An automatic locker in the rear (Detroit, grizzly, lunchbox) will change it’s road manners for the worse. Some people live with it but I would much rather deal with air locker challenges than squealing and popping. Sounds like an E locker is your best bet.

I run a detroit in my 8.8 but it doesn't see much road time. When I do drive on the road all I notice is a loud clunk taking turns every once in a while. Selectable is more ideal for road rigs. Electric locker is an easier install with just needing a switch. I like the ox locker since if the manual or electric ever fails you can use the lockaway device to lock the axle.
@Jerry Bransford , I seem to remember a post of yours regarding ARB vs ox cable that had some good info, can’t find it though

Terrain, driving habits, budget, etc. all play a role in the decision making process. I see that you live in the Phoenix area, so if the majority of your wheeling is in the rocks and you rarely drive on icy/snow-covered roads, you really have the pick of the litter.

With the exception of the recent manufacturing defect on my front e-locker, I've had lots of success with the Eaton's (now on #4 and #5). I love the performance when engaged and the good road manners when they're off. Now with that said, if I were building a dedicated trail rig or one that almost exclusively wheeled and drove in dry rocky terrain, I'd probably go with a pair of Detroits.

I will note that a handful of builders, including John Currie, prefer a combo of auto-locker front and e-locker rear:

Reactions: 5632
The having to service the arb every 5000 miles or so is a real turn off.

Are you referring to the normal changing of the fluids? Other than that, this is the only "service" of the ARB air locker that I am aware of.

"Every 6 months (maximum). Operate the Air Locker to ensure it is in good working condition. Check air system for deposits of moisture condensation or oil. Flush clean with compressed air if necessary."

I guess my thinking is that if I am not using my Air Locker at least every 6 months, probably don't need a locker.

Reactions: pc1p
I guess my thinking is that if I am not using my Air Locker at least every 6 months, probably don't need a locker.
I thought that about my wich, If I don't already spool it once a month then I probably don't need it, but I haven't gotten stuck since I got it, and I actually need to go spool it for December. I guess it's one of those things, If you have it, you won't get stuck.

Reactions: HYRYSC
I thought that about my wich, If I don't already spool it once a month then I probably don't need it, but I haven't gotten stuck since I got it, and I actually need to go spool it for December. I guess it's one of those things, If you have it, you won't get stuck.

True that. Maybe I am in minority, but when I am off-road, I almost always have my rear locker activated since I figured better to already be locked than wait until I get in a situation and then lock it.

True that. Maybe I am in minority, but when I am off-road, I almost always have my rear locker activated since I figured better to already be locked than wait until I get in a situation and then lock it.
One of my favorite things to do is attempt an obstacle with both lockers off for the first couple of times (sans very sketchy sections where a slip/slide can be a big problem or result in significant body damage)...

I'm not saying lockers are cheating, but they can definitely take out some of the finesse and lower the skill-requirement in the technical terrain. I actually have two buddies who have monster trail rigs (buggies) who also have small rigs (one is a flatty and the other is a 2.5L YJ on 31"s and open diffs) for a "challenge". Both have even said (independently) that they find themselves wheeling the smaller rigs more and more simply for the higher level of overall enjoyment.

Reactions: HYRYSC
Lunchbox and deal with the tire squeal when you punch it?
Lunchbox lockers are not a good choice for the rear axle. #1 they're weaker since they have to be small enough to fit into the carrier. #2 because they're extremely poorly behaved when on the street. Front-mounted lunchbox lockers are fine on the street, it's when they're in the rear axle that their behavior is not good.

One of my favorite things to do is attempt an obstacle with both lockers off for the first couple of times (sans very sketchy sections where a slip/slide can be a big problem or result in significant body damage)...

I'm not saying lockers are cheating, but they can definitely take out some of the finesse and lower the skill-requirement in the technical terrain. I actually have two buddies who have monster trail rigs (buggies) who also have small rigs (one is a flatty and the other is a 2.5L YJ on 31"s and open diffs) for a "challenge". Both have even said (independently) that they find themselves wheeling the smaller rigs more and more simply for the higher level of overall enjoyment.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from fer sure! I have done that on occasion. I guess my real point was that I rarely am off-road where my ARB wasn't activated.

edit: Plus, I like flipping switches, makes me feel important:rolleyes:🤡

Reactions: pc1p
The people I have known to run the ARB's deal with repetitive seal issues. A friend who contacted ARB was told it was just a wear item. Not ideal to be out on the trail when its time for replacing one.