Recovery gear

https://www.masterpull.com/snatch-block-sba10000/

I picked up one of these for me Subaru. They have other sizes as well. Haven’t actually put it to use but, they are good quality. Super lightweight and easy to store.

Thanks for posing that, Pepper. I’m on the hunt for a light weight version.

Is this the one you have? It says max 1/4” rope. Sounds like it may be for an ATV.

I broke into Sab’s house looking for his spare TRE, but man, he hid it well…

🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and sab
Thanks for posing that, Pepper. I’m on the hunt for a light weight version.

Is this the one you have? It says max 1/4” rope. Sounds like it may be for an ATV.

I broke into Sab’s house looking for his spare TRE, but man, he hid it well…

🙂

Yes sir. I have a warn axon 5500 on my Subaru and this one is perfect. When I switch to synthetic on the Jeep I will get one for it as well.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I had one like @PNW_LJ posted a photo of. When line tension was lost it slipped off seemed sketchy. I like the look of the TRE in that it has a sleeve around loop like a more traditional snatchblock. I used the ring once and went back to tried and true.

While I have not used a recovery ring for anything vehicle related, I do use one at work for pulling wire through conduit where a line redirect is useful to make the work easier. My number one complaint is that the ring is unstable and will often flop out of position during the pull.

That tells me everything I need to know about a recovery ring in a vehicle recovery context. I want more control and consistency in my rigging where safety is critical. Side plates where the pulley and attachment point is offset further away from concentricity is much safer.

Eventually I will be replacing my work use ring with a small pulley block used in climbing because it works better.

Yes sir. I have a warn axon 5500 on my Subaru and this one is perfect. When I switch to synthetic on the Jeep I will get one for it as well.

I do see they have versions for larger rope, but they appear to be a good bit heavier than the TRE.

‘Course, unlike the TRE you can actually buy one of these now.

I saw one of these snatch blocks in use last time I was out. Not sure on brand, but it was this style:

View attachment 524099

I'd be interesting if anyone here has some experience with them. Seems like it simplifies the design and is closer to ~1.3 lbs.

They work great as long as you pay attention as it loads up. Without tension they foul easily but are perfectly stable once tight.

They work great as long as you pay attention as it loads up. Without tension they foul easily but are perfectly stable once tight.

A traditional design snatch block doesn't need to be babysat during setup. The is enough going on during a vehicle recovery to have to give unnecessary attention to the equipment.

every vehicle that goes offroad beyond a forest service road, should have a winch

Agree, and you will too if you have to learn the hard way. A used warn winch is the best winch value. Get a good older used Warn and you will not ever need to double the line. I could be wrong. D

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ
Awesome, I’m glad that we covered this. I’m happy with my traditional snatch block as is for now.

What does the group think about this solution to the tension problem of the new style snatch block?

https://www.factor55.com/p-rope-retention-pulley-00260

I haven't used one and only watch 1 youtube review, but it looks like it helps a bit but you still need to keep an eye on it. Not worth it to me. Many on here aren't fans of that brand.

I have this $40 one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CDQGWGR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If the line does come off the ring it'll rub directly on the soft shackle and damage it, possibly to the point of cutting completely through it, most likely with just a little accelerated wear on the winch rope. Don't want that to happen but it's not the end of the world if it does.

Reactions: Wildman and PNW_LJ
p.s. if you're worried about the line falling off the ring, bring a rubberband or small bungee like this to keep it in place while slack.

1714925679229.png

Awesome, I’m glad that we covered this. I’m happy with my traditional snatch block as is for now.

What does the group think about this solution to the tension problem of the new style snatch block?

https://www.factor55.com/p-rope-retention-pulley-00260

Ineffective. Either the fingers are not stiff enough to fulfill their intended purpose. Or they are stiff enough that the ring becomes irritating to use for a whole different set of reasons. On the extreme end of ineffective, the stiff fingers damage the rope at the very same time they retain it to the ring.

I see it as more Factor 55 garbage for people who collect tough guy costume jewelry.

Last edited:
p.s. if you're worried about the line falling off the ring, bring a rubberband or small bungee like this to keep it in place while slack.

View attachment 524361

Tying the shackle like that will not prevent the flopping I have experienced with these rings where the rope falls out of the groove.

Ineffective. Either the fingers are not stiff enough to fulfill their intended purpose. Or they are stiff enough that the ring becomes irritating to use for a whole different set of reasons. On the extreme end of ineffective, the stiff fingers damage the rope at the very same time they retain it to the ring.

I see it as more Factor 55 garbage for people who collect tough guy costume jewelry.

Guess we need a tough guy or two to test them out for all of us to see.

Reactions: Wildman
Guess we need a tough guy or two to test them out for all of us to see.

Wildman might. I don't need any of that. I have done far more rigging as a profession than most here ever will and more than enough off-road vehicle recovery with a wide variety of complexity to know that the recovery ring is a borderline gimmick compared to an actual pulley block.

• Face Palm
  • Wow
Reactions: PNW_LJ and Wildman