Side mirrors: old style versus new

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My 2000 came with the earlier style mirrors. Cosmetically mine were in great condition and looked awesome on the new half doors. But they were just a tad loose and moved every time I closed the doors.

I ordered a set of the newer (2003-2006) mirrors from an eBay seller. They arrived in two days. I love them.

Here's the question.. do the newer mirror style utilize a rubber base gasket to protect the paint like the older style? The mirrors didn't come with gaskets and I am not sure if that is correct or if I should find another source.

Reactions: JMT
My 2000 came with the earlier style mirrors. Cosmetically mine were in great condition and looked awesome on the new half doors. But they were just a tad loose and moved every time I closed the doors.

I ordered a set of the newer (2003-2006) mirrors from an eBay seller. They arrived in two days. I love them.

Here's the question.. do the newer mirror style utilize a rubber base gasket to protect the paint like the older style? The mirrors didn't come with gaskets and I am not sure if that is correct or if I should find another source.

No gasket on the newer style.

Like you, I prefer the look of the early style. But the later style mirrors are just so much easier to use.

Reactions: MikekiM
I tried 2 different sets and couldn’t find one that didn’t have vibes. One was a generic aftermarket and the other was an oem takeoff.

Like you, I prefer the look of the early style. But the later style mirrors are just so much easier to use.
I've been very conscious of staying period correct where ever possible and I do like the look of the 96-02 mirrors, but now that the newer style are installed, my preference has changed and they are close enough to being correct for a MY 2000.

Having to adjust the mirror half a dozen times a day was driving me nuts.. especially if I had to unzip the soft window each time.

I tried 2 different sets and couldn’t find one that didn’t have vibes. One was a generic aftermarket and the other was an oem takeoff.
These were generic aftermarket. From eBay seller AM-Autoparts.
I haven't noticed any vibrations.. yet.

Totally prefer the 03-06 mirrors. The others look dinky and YJ era.
Now that the new ones are on "dinky" is a good description.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I've been very conscious of staying period correct where ever possible and I do like the look of the 96-02 mirrors, but now that the newer style are installed, my preference has changed and they are close enough to being correct for a MY 2000.

Having to adjust the mirror half a dozen times a day was driving me nuts.. especially if I had to unzip the soft window each time.

These were generic aftermarket. From eBay seller AM-Autoparts.
I haven't noticed any vibrations.. yet.

Now that the new ones are on "dinky" is a good description.

The old style mirrors have screws on the bottom to tighten the mirror. Thanks to Jerry mine no longer move when I close the door.

Reactions: LONGJP2 and red02tj
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The old style mirrors have screws on the bottom to tighten the mirror. Thanks to Jerry mine no longer move when I close the door.

I've dug around those mirrors and while there is access to the large nut that secures the mirror arm the only access to the housing mount is from behind the mirror. I may wrong, but the new ones are installed and are keepers, and I ordered a second set for the full doors. If anyone needs replacement early mirrors I have three I am surely not going to use.

Same here. I've cranked down on them as much as I dare and still they're loose all the time.

Never had a vibration problem with mine on the 99TJ……however they were heavily corroded due to salt here in this God forsaken state.

Really like the newer style on the LJ.

The older style are larger and have more "mirror" but they are easy to bump and can move when driving fast. The new style are much easier to set and forget.

Reactions: MikekiM
I got a set of 03-06 OEM off eBay a few years ago but last time I checked the price from same supplier had about trippled.

If you can find a set of JL factory doors off mirrors they are simply the 03-06 TJ mirrors with a bracket to attach to the JL. Even from the dealer they are cheaper than a set of TJ mirrors. I bought a set from a guy who's jeep came with them but didnt want them.

Reactions: MountaineerTom