The Lifespan of Large Appliances Is Shrinking

I've already experienced this with appliances in rental properties I own. I've had three fridges in one unit in two years!

Yep, same thing with our fridge. It’s a high end Kitchen Aid and within the first year the compressor failed. A few months later the ice maker goes bad. 3 months later after that and the new compressor is leaking 🤦🏻

Find me a classic restored fridge and I’ll buy it at this point.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Irun
Like so many products out there the manufactures know that they can engineer themselves into a perpetual industry. Everything is about what features does it provide and nothing about quality or durability.

I like how the article touched on repairs being difficult even for technicians who are trained to work on the appliances. Just like cars the days of doing repairs yourself is shrinking fast.

We just bought Electrolux clothes washer and dryer. Supposed to be delivered Saturday. All the bells and whistles. They're nice when they work, but eventually it just means more broken bells and whistles.

Our current set lasted 13 years and both are acting up.

Another issue is the competence of the techs. I do most of my own repairs because the techs these days are barely qualified to change parts, let along diagnose issues. I had a Frigidaire fridge fail just past (like days) the expiration of the warranty. I was swamped and couldn't get to it, so my property manager called a local tech who said the compressor was shot. I bought a new fridge to get that tenant up and running because they were living out of a cooler at that point. I then called Frigidaire and asked if I could get a good-will repair since it was just out of warranty. They sent a factory-authorized tech out. He determined it was just a thermostat, and they covered it.

Afterwards, my wife noticed while cleaning it (it's a great spare now) that the door seal down at the bottom, where you can't see it without putting your head almost on the floor, was badly damaged (looked like someone used a rusty old butter knife in an attempt to cut it.) I ended up replacing that at my cost because I couldn't tell when or how it had been damaged. However, it was disappointing that neither tech noticed it! It was enough damage that the marginally-effective refrigerant used these days probably caused a lot of excess runtime of the compressor to keep things cool.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ColoJeep and P man
We just bought Electrolux clothes washer and dryer. Supposed to be delivered Saturday. All the bells and whistles. They're nice when they work, but eventually it just means more broken bells and whistles.

Our current set lasted 13 years and both are acting up.

A couple years back I replaced our home washer and dryer. I selected the Maytag Commercial Residential line. Very old school and basic, but 10 year warranty and easy to fix after that.

We had whirlpool appliances in our old house that were >5 years old. The ice maker quit in the fridge, I was able to repair that myself. Our oven's heating element also went out and I repaired that. Our microwave door sensor quit (wouldn't heat because it sensed the door was open), I repaired it once and then the next one went out. Replaced it and then the previous one went out again. Finally tossed it in the dumpster and bought a new microwave.

My Frigidaire deep freezer is going on 13 years. I dropped it out of the back of my truck once and it hit the concrete parking lot when I was trying to load it up myself when moving. Doesn't look pretty but is still going strong. Its been in 4 different homes with me.

• Wow
Reactions: sab
We built our house and moved in, in 2021. Last year, our new dishwasher (the second to top LG) started getting loud, like something was in the motor. I checked everything and determined that it was this pump that is like $250. It's supposed to be very quiet so we called for a warranty service. A couple days go by and Lowe's calls back to say they can't get us an appointment in our area within the required window. We're willing to wait because it still works, but instead they tell us our only option is for them to refund our purchase price and void the warranty contract. They would not let us schedule the appointment.

So then, we're stuck with a dishwasher that has no warranty and seems to be going bad. We end up buying the next higher level dishwasher (which ended up not matching so I had to switch front panels 🤦🏻‍♂️). Then I tried to give the dishwasher to the used appliance places and they wouldn't even take it! It's a year and a half old stainless LG! They said dishwashers aren't made to last and just aren't worth their time.

• Wow
Reactions: sab
We built our house and moved in, in 2021. Last year, our new dishwasher (the second to top LG) started getting loud, like something was in the motor. I checked everything and determined that it was this pump that is like $250. It's supposed to be very quiet so we called for a warranty service. A couple days go by and Lowe's calls back to say they can't get us an appointment in our area within the required window. We're willing to wait because it still works, but instead they tell us our only option is for them to refund our purchase price and void the warranty contract. They would not let us schedule the appointment.

So then, we're stuck with a dishwasher that has no warranty and seems to be going bad. We end up buying the next higher level dishwasher (which ended up not matching so I had to switch front panels 🤦🏻‍♂️). Then I tried to give the dishwasher to the used appliance places and they wouldn't even take it! It's a year and a half old stainless LG! They said dishwashers aren't made to last and just aren't worth their time.

There's always hand washing dishes?

It's been happening for years. We had a Maytag refrigerator less than 1 year old fail. The tech said it was a bad compressor! Then we had to wait 2 weeks for a new compressor!
My brother still has my parent's 2 door top freezer GE refrigerator that they bought new in 1947 and it is still running! When you close the doors they go "KERCHUNK!"

Funny you should say that. For the first time in my adult life I have a place with a dishwasher...and I've used it once in 5 years. Granted, I live alone and I'd have to use every single plate, bowl, pot, pan and utensil I own to fill and justify running the thing. Hand washing is faster, easier and cheaper.

Funny you should say that. For the first time in my adult life I have a place with a dishwasher...and I've used it once in 5 years. Granted, I live alone and I'd have to use every single plate, bowl, pot, pan and utensil I own to fill and justify running the thing. Hand washing is faster, easier and cheaper.

Paper plates FTW!

I grew up without one and didn't have one until I got married when I was almost 22. I'll never not have one! I do about 90% or more of our dishes (wife does nearly all of the laundry) and I'm not ashamed to say I love having a dishwasher! lol I still hand wash plenty because we have certain things that we don't or can't put in there and then once it's full I hand wash the rest.

And Chili, hand washing might be faster, easier, and cheaper for a single guy, but not a family! I would probably double or triple my dish washing time without it. Plus, we have a large single sink which is not ideal for hand washing.

From the article: “We’re making things more complicated, they’re harder to fix and more expensive to fix,” says Aaron Gianni, the founder of do-it-yourself home-repair app Plunjr.

Well no shit. Same theme playing out here as we often talk about in modern cars, more 'bells & whistles' = more money & more problems.

I don't know if an over-the-range microwave is considered a large appliance, but mine of 22 years has jumped the shark. It still works, but after having pulled the handle off of it I think 4 times & repaired it each time, it came off again despite the pound of JB Plastic Weld I had crammed in & around the mounts. The exhaust fan cover was dangling & when I put certain things in it, it made a horrid sound, so given the circumstances it's time to toss it. Just ordered a replacement I'll pick up next week at Lowes, while it's the least expensive/least bells & whistles model I could find, I don't expect to get anywhere near 22 years out of it.

All the other appliances I put in at the same time (in 2002) are still alive and kicking, I dread the day they die & I'm stuck replacing them with the garbage they're making now.

Reactions: Chris
The newest refrigerant used in HVAC systems will outdate existing systems and being that it is flammable the new systems will require some sort of fire mitigation technology.

"The new refrigerants being introduced are classified as mildly flammable, or A2L. The systems designed to use A2L refrigerants require additional mitigations to be built in to handle flammability and to allow a safe installation."

In my College days (2015-2017) I worked a short-stint as an appliance repair technician.
Majority of my work-load was on-site house-calls, diagnosing/repairing faulty appliances.

I can say, from what I witnessed in my few months there, all modern appliances quite simple aren't built with 'longevity' in mind.
My boss used to joke around and say "they build them like that so it looks cool in the commercials".

(and just let me say, the market for appliance techs is HUGE because of it)

Appliances now sell primarily due to marketing gimmicks rather than functionality.
I mean, most refrigerators are focusing their attention to fancy touchscreen displays and gadgets..

Modern appliances are built as cheaply as possible, and are held to the standards of 'replace' rather than 'repair'.
Metal components are now made of printed/molded plastics, circuit boards are manufactured by the cheapest facilities, etc.

There's an entire slew of shit as to why modern appliances 'don't last as long' as older appliances.
We as consumers are to blame for it.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
Funny, I just told my teenager she was buying the next fridge since she opens its so much. She replied “the one in the garage has been around forever!” I replied “cause it’s simple, keep the fridge cold , freezer colder. No ice machine, no fancy doors, no one compartment this temp, another compartment this temp blah blah”. Ours is a Samsung, ice maker replaced three times under warranty. Not DOA so we have a countertop ice maker.